[comp.dcom.telecom] Hidgon an Expert on 2600 Hz?

Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu> (03/21/91)

John Higdon writes:

> For the record, there was another way calls could be rotary dialed
> without hard wire. Many LD tandems used to respond to pulses of 2600
> Hz and would complete calls based on numbers "dialed" in this manner.
> Hence, 2600 Hz would serve as both supervisory and signaling carrier.
> It was called "SF" (single frequency).

You seem to know an awful lot about what 2600Hz can be used for! :-)

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu

[Moderator's Note: And what about you Steve? Are you familiar with the
process also?  Do you use it a lot at your place?  :)  For those not
in on the joke, 2600 hz was long used as a fraud tool by phreaks to
override the billing equipment and make calls for free. If you want to
know *how*, write each other -- NOT me! I have enough problems this
century, and I won't answer nor will I print any letters on the
subject.   PAT]

floyd@ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (03/24/91)

In article <telecom11.223.9@eecs.nwu.edu> forrette@cory.berkeley.edu
(Steve Forrette) writes:

> John Higdon writes:

>> For the record, there was another way calls could be rotary dialed
>> without hard wire. Many LD tandems used to respond to pulses of 2600
>> Hz and would complete calls based on numbers "dialed" in this manner.
>> Hence, 2600 Hz would serve as both supervisory and signaling carrier.
>> It was called "SF" (single frequency).

> You seem to know an awful lot about what 2600Hz can be used for! :-)

> [Moderator's Note: And what about you Steve? Are you familiar with the
> process also?  Do you use it a lot at your place?  :)  For those not
> in on the joke, 2600 hz was long used as a fraud tool by phreaks to
> override the billing equipment and make calls for free. If you want to
> know *how*, write each other -- NOT me! I have enough problems this
> century, and I won't answer nor will I print any letters on the subject.

I'd be quite happy to discuss the use of 2600Hz on trunks with anyone
who wants to.  From 'x' type SF units (the ones with tubes) to what is
used today.  But first a little comment: You poke a 2600Hz tone on a
trunk through *my* toll switch and one of two things happens, 1)
nothing if it is a ccis trunk, or 2) a nice log report prints out
telling everyone what trunk and what the calling number and called
number were.

Talk about blue-boxing all you want, but don't even think of using
one.

Floyd L. Davidson  |  floyd@ims.alaska.edu   |  Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714   |    Univ. of Alaska      |  but not for opinions.

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (03/27/91)

Our wonderful Moderator, in reply to a rather silly message wrote:

> [Moderator's Note: And what about you Steve? Are you familiar with the
> process also?  Do you use it a lot at your place?  :)  For those not
> in on the joke, 2600 hz was long used as a fraud tool by phreaks to
> override the billing equipment and make calls for free. If you want to
> know *how*, write each other -- NOT me! I have enough problems this
> century, and I won't answer nor will I print any letters on the
> subject.   PAT]

Why not print any letters that say how the system works?  Sure,
telecommunications fraud is a federal crime, but since all the LD
carriers say "the hole is fixed" I see nothing against a little bit of
nostalgia. Isn't it time to ignore the crazyness that Americans call
law-enforcement and just LEARN !

Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl) is also editor of  Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.)
Postbus 22953    (in DUTCH)   1100 DL  AMSTERDAM   Tel: +31 20 6001480

[Moderator's Note: You may call American law-enforcement 'crazyness',
but I call it a very real concern on the Internet today. You think I
should jeopardize my patron (eecs.nwu.edu) and the thousands of sites
around the USA which graciously receive and pass along the Digest
and/or comp.dcom.telecom just to teach you a thing or two?  The hell
you say! If its all the same to you, I'll continue to blow my nose
with a silk handkerchief.   PAT]

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (03/29/91)

>In article <telecom11.223.9@eecs.nwu.edu> forrette@cory.berkeley.edu
>(Steve Forrette) writes:

>> John Higdon writes:

>>> Hence, 2600 Hz would serve as both supervisory and signaling carrier.
>>> It was called "SF" (single frequency).

>> You seem to know an awful lot about what 2600Hz can be used for! :-)

For those of you who want to know how the 2600hz system works, you can
obtain the CCITT international standard on R1 signalling. This
includes a complete description of how the system works. You may also
obtain the AT&T publication "Notes on the Network" which has a more
practical description of this system.

All of this information is totally public. It is an industry standard.
As a matter of fact, I know about it beacuse I designed an SF trunk.
Probably USENET is distributed to some places over this trunk type of
my design. I obtained all the inforamtion I needed from "Notes on the
Network" which AT&T was quite pleased to sell to anybody with the
required amount of money.

Tom Gray - have SF trunk for hire - will travel

floyd@ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (03/30/91)

In article <telecom11.252.8@eecs.nwu.edu> mitel!Software!grayt@
uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) writes:

> For those of you who want to know how the 2600hz system works, you can
> obtain the CCITT international standard on R1 signalling. This
> includes a complete description of how the system works. You may also
> obtain the AT&T publication "Notes on the Network" which has a more
> practical description of this system.

> All of this information is totally public. It is an industry standard.
> As a matter of fact, I know about it beacuse I designed an SF trunk.
> Probably USENET is distributed to some places over this trunk type of
> my design. I obtained all the inforamtion I needed from "Notes on the
> Network" which AT&T was quite pleased to sell to anybody with the
> required amount of money.

"Notes on the Network" was replaced with "Notes on the BOC Intra-LATA
Networks - 19nn" where "nn" indicates the year released.  The latest
edition I have is 1986.  There could well be a more recent release.

The '86 edition does not give information on ordering "Notes" itself.
The following address was listed for "Technical Advisories":

  Bell Communications Research
  Information Exchange Management
  435 South Street, MRE 2J-155
  Morristown, NJ 07960-1961

The '86 edition is Technical Reference TR-NPL-000275.  The price is
not stated, and I don't remember what it was ... but expect well over
$100.

The book is indispensable if you live in the telecom industry.

Floyd L. Davidson  |  floyd@ims.alaska.edu   |  Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714   |    Univ. of Alaska      |  but not for opinions.

"Mark D. Studebaker(813" <mds@mimosa.paradyne.com> (04/10/91)

The new "Notes on the Network" is just out from Bellcore for $395.
"Over 1050 pages and 385 graphic depictions, including ... CCS, CLASS,
updated numbering plan considerations, and synchronization.  Over 80%
of the material is presented for the first time in this issue."

Order from Bellcore:
800-521-CORE
or 908-699-5800.

"BOC Notes on the LEC Networks - 1990"
SR-TSV-002275.

mark

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (04/10/91)

"Mark D. Studebaker(813" <mds@mimosa.paradyne.com> writes:

> The new "Notes on the Network" is just out from Bellcore for $395.

Be sure to save your receipt in case someone busts into your house
accusing you of stealing it!

According to the formula apparently used by SBT and the Federal
Government, you might be charged with a crime involving $2,400,000. I
believe this is in conformity with the prosecution's standard markup
of Bellcore documents, no? :-)

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !