[comp.dcom.telecom] Info Wanted on B_ISDN

rodney@pico.qpsx.oz.au (04/05/91)

Jim Niemann writes:

> What research is being done in broadband ISDN?  Is it possible to
> purchase a prototype switch that supports it?
> Where should I look for more info?

Others have written various things about primary rate access etc.
Well, that's incorrect.  Primary rate is for normal ISDN.  B_ISDN or
Broadband ISDN is a connection oriented service at very high data
rates.  Most people regard it as having data rates in excess of 50
Mbits/sec, up to at least a couple of Gbits/sec.  It uses what is
known as ATM switching, or Asynchronous Transfer Mode Switching, based
on small data units referred to as cells, which are a fixed length.
It operates on point to point links between ATM switches, and carries
anything, for example, packet switched and isochronous data.  Routing
is performed using VCI (Virtual Circuit Identifiers).

So, the short answer is:

 A hell of a lot of research is being done.  Most of it in development
of ATM switches that work well.  A lot of work is being done in deciding
just what services should be offered, and people are working on
standardization.  You could possibly find someone who knows someone
who has a prototype ATM switch, and it is possible (after AT&T's
announcement of the BNS2000 cell switch) that AT&T might have something.
Don't hold your breath though, because as I understand it, AT&T has
started and stopped work on ATM switches at least twice, and the BNS2000
*is* a fast packet switch than can (might?) use ATM.  I would guess
that you don't have lots of options in getting a prototype switch.
As for more information, well, a lot of papers have been written on
this, and there are a couple of standards, published by CCITT.  The
reference numbers elude me at present.......

In the meantime, there's always our 802.6 ;-)

Any more queries, direct them to me at rodney@pico.qpsx.oz.au
If that doesn't work, tack @munnari.mu.oz.au on the end.

Cheers,

Rodney Van Luinen   QPSX Communications Pty Ltd
33 Richardson St WEST PERTH   WESTERN AUSTRALIA.

Keith Junker <keith@ntia.its.bldrdoc.gov> (04/10/91)

In article <telecom11.273.1@eecs.nwu.edu> rodney@pico.qpsx.oz.au writes:

> Jim Niemann writes:

>> What research is being done in broadband ISDN?  Is it possible to
>> purchase a prototype switch that supports it?
>> Where should I look for more info?

> As for more information, well, a lot of papers have been written on
> this, and there are a couple of standards, published by CCITT.  The
> reference numbers elude me at present.......

Regarding only the technical aspects and not the availability of
B-ISDN switches, one such document is, and here I will attempt to
reproduce its cover sheet:

COMMITTEE T1 - TELECOMMUNICATIONS STANDARDS CONTRIBUTION

DOCUMENT NUMBER:	T1Q1.3/90-001R2
DATE:			JANUARY 18, 1991
STANDARDS PROJECT:	Specification and Allocation of Performance
			for ISDN (T1Q1-10)
SUBJECT:		1990 B-ISDN Recommendations
ORIGINATOR:		ISDN Experts of Study Group XVIII
KEY WORDS:		Broadband ISDN (B-ISDN), 1990 Recommendations,
			CCITT, Accelerated Procedures
DISTRIBUTION:		T1Q1.3 Working Group

Abstract:

This contribution, an update of T1Q1.3/90-001R1, provides copies of 13
Broadband ISDN (B-ISDN) Recommendations, which Study Group XVIII
unanimously approved at its December 1990 meeting for invocation of
Resolution 2 (accelerated approval) procedures.  The December 1990
version of the B-ISDN Recommendations made only minor editorial
changes to the versions approved by WP XVIII/8 at its June 1990
meeting in COM XVIII-R 34-E.  The attached copies of COM XVIII-R 34-E
have been updated to reflect the changes reported in Temporary
Document 9/XVIII, "1990 B-ISDN Recommendations - Proposed Editorial
Amendments," by the Chairman of WP XVIII/8.  A report of the December
1990 meeting of Study Group XVIII is provided in T1Q1.3/91-001.  The
B-ISDN Recommendations provide a stable basis for the development of
related B-ISDN performance Recommendations.  Copies of the ISDN
performance Recommendations from the December 1990 meeting of Working
Party XVIII/6 are provided in T1Q1.3/91-002.

Obviously, this abstract is intended for internal use, but it
indicates the nature of the activity going on concerning B-ISDN at
this time.  One way to get more information or this particular
document is to join the committee(!)

Keith E. Junker   U.S. Dept. of Commerce   NTIA/ITS.N3
325 Broadway      Boulder, CO 80303     (303) 497-3376
keith@ntia.its.bldrdoc.gov