[comp.dcom.telecom] Strange Phone Calls

"David E. Bernholdt" <bernhold@red8.qtp.ufl.edu> (04/03/91)

I received a rather strange series of phone calls at my home last
night.  I answered the phone and a synthesized female voice says
"Please hold the line, I have a call for this number."

After several seconds of silence, it says "I am trying to connect your
call, please hold." (Or something to that effect.)

This was repeated about four times, then it said "Are you still
holding?"  and I mechanically answered "Yes".  The voice said "I'm
sorry, but I have not been able to connect the call.  I will try again
later," and hangs up.

It called again, perhaps 20 minutes later.  Same drill, except this
time I didn't answer the "Are you still holding?" question.  It said
nothing more, and held the line until I hung up.

The third time it called, I hung up after the first "I am trying to
connect your call ..."  It didn't call back after that.

I've never heard of anything like this before.  Does anybody recognize
what it might be, besides a failure (at least in this case)?

David Bernholdt			bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold@ufpine.bitnet
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611		904/392 6365

tep@ucsd.edu> (04/05/91)

In article <telecom11.266.4@eecs.nwu.edu> bernhold@red8.qtp.ufl.edu
(David E. Bernholdt) writes:

> I received a rather strange series of phone calls at my home last
> night.  I answered the phone and a synthesized female voice says
> "Please hold the line, I have a call for this number."

> After several seconds of silence, it says "I am trying to connect your
> call, please hold." (Or something to that effect.)

> This was repeated about four times, then it said "Are you still
> holding?"  and I mechanically answered "Yes".  The voice said "I'm
> sorry, but I have not been able to connect the call.  I will try again
> later," and hangs up.

> It called again, perhaps 20 minutes later.  Same drill, except this
> time I didn't answer the "Are you still holding?" question.  It said
> nothing more, and held the line until I hung up.

> The third time it called, I hung up after the first "I am trying to
> connect your call ..."  It didn't call back after that.

> I've never heard of anything like this before.  Does anybody recognize
> what it might be, besides a failure (at least in this case)?

I believe this is the latest in boiler-room technology. Instead of the
incredible expense of making a real-live person (at minimum wage, no
less!)  make each and every annoying, unwanted call, they have a
machine make the calls.

This machine sequentially walks the phone-numbers for any set of
prefixes. When it gets an answer, it *then* tries to connect you to a
real (?) sales-thug. It saves the incredibly valuable time of the
sales-thugs, at only a major annoyance to the victim.

In your case, (un?)fortunately, all the sales-thugs were busy annoying
other people.

Tom Perrine (tep)            Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon - T&TSD              UUCP: sun!suntan!tots!tep
P.O. Box 85158               GENIE: T.PERRINE
San Diego CA 92138           Voice: +1 619 455 1330
                             FAX: +1 619 552 0729

[Moderator's Note: As he explained it in his message in the last
issue, it turns out the calls were from a collection office somewhere
trying to reach him regarding his student loan.  I think it really
takes a lot of brass for those outfits to use a device like that to
waste *my time* on hold until *they* get someone free to talk to me.
When I've received automated voice calls before, I always just hang
up, and everyone should take that approach, to end this latest phone
nuisance once and for all.  PAT]

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (04/05/91)

(David E. Bernholdt) writes:

> I received a rather strange series of phone calls at my home last
> night.  I answered the phone and a synthesized female voice says
> "Please hold the line, I have a call for this number."

> After several seconds of silence, it says "I am trying to connect your
> call, please hold." (Or something to that effect.)

> I've never heard of anything like this before.  Does anybody recognize
> what it might be, besides a failure (at least in this case)?

This is an automatic dialing system used by phone solicitors.  The
idea is to increase the productivity of phone solicitors by having a
machine call people and que them up for the next available solicitor
 ... kind of like when you call the airline, and get a recording saying
"ALL OUR AGENTS ARE BUSY NOW...PLEASE HOLD FOR THE NEXT AVAILABLE
AGENT"... only in reverse.

These things are supposed to be set up for minimum or no waiting
time, based upon statistics and a large number of agents.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7ENT.#WWA.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089     MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

"Paul S. Sawyer" <paul@unhtel.unh.edu> (04/08/91)

In article <telecom11.271.12@eecs.nwu.edu> Our Moderator comments:

> When I've received automated voice calls before, I always just hang
> up, and everyone should take that approach, to end this latest phone
> nuisance once and for all.  PAT]

I usually put them on hold, so as to waste THEIR time and money;
sometimes (when things are REAL dull ...) I put them on the speaker,
with the transmitter muted, with varying amusing results ... once
during a party someone called and asked for the "head of the house"
(whatever that is ... B-) so I said "I'll get him", and put the
speakerphone on while we all told anecdotes about companies that use
telemarketing while the speaker kept yelling for attention.

Come to think of it, that's the only good use I've found for the
speakerphone!

Paul S. Sawyer             {uunet,attmail}!unhtel!paul    paul@unhtel.unh.edu
UNH CIS - - Telecommunications and Network Services      VOX: +1 603 862 3262
Durham, New Hampshire  03824-3523                        FAX: +1 603 862 2030

walsh@uunet.uu.net> (04/10/91)

 From article <telecom11.276.9@eecs.nwu.edu>, by paul@unhtel.unh.edu
(Paul S. Sawyer):

> sometimes (when things are REAL dull ...) I put them on the speaker,
> with the transmitter muted, with varying amusing results ... once
> during a party someone called and asked for the "head of the house"
> (whatever that is ... B-) so I said "I'll get him", and put the
> speakerphone on while we all told anecdotes about companies that use
> telemarketing while the speaker kept yelling for attention.

Which brings up an interesting question that I have had.  Yes, I too
find these most annoying.  When the automated solicitors prompt you to
leave information on their machine, I leave a message consisting of an
incoherent diatribe of grotesque words and concepts.  (The last one
had something to do with sexual activity.)  Anyway, I know that
obscene phone calls are illegal, but what if you are not the
originator of the phone call?

Mark Walsh, KC6RKZ

Tony Harminc <TONY@mcgill1.bitnet> (04/11/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #279, Mark Walsh <optilink!marks350!walsh@uunet.
uu.net> writes:

> Which brings up an interesting question that I have had.  Yes, I too
> find these most annoying.  When the automated solicitors prompt you to
> leave information on their machine, I leave a message consisting of an
> incoherent diatribe of grotesque words and concepts.  (The last one
> had something to do with sexual activity.)  Anyway, I know that
> obscene phone calls are illegal, but what if you are not the
> originator of the phone call?

When I get an machine calling to ask 'survey' questions (like am I
interested in aluminum storm windows) I usually use my 3-way calling
to add a local religious recording to the connection (+1 416 483-4321).

The preacher then bible-thumps to his heart's content and the caller's
machine either records pieces of the Bible to fill in the blanks or -
if it has a VOX - records the entire message (usually a couple of
minutes).

On a couple of occasions the Bible text has fitted the survey
questions really well, and once the prompt asking for my name was
filled perfectly by the preacher saying his name and church
affiliation.  Of course they have *my* phone number (since the machine
knows what it dialled to reach me), but they have never called back to
sell storm windows to the Reverend.

I've given the ethics of this some thought, and I don't think I'm
doing anything wrong.  Disagreements ?