[comp.dcom.telecom] Another Kind of Selective Ringing

Mike Coleman <coleman@twinsun.com> (04/09/91)

In alt.privacy, greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:

> These already exist.  You dial, then must supply a code sequence before
> the phone will ring.  The caller's name appears on a display so you can
> decide whether or not to answer.  I'm not sure when it was I saw heard of
> this device, but it was long before all this talk about Caller ID.

Does anyone know if these are available in any kind of affordable form
(i.e., not part of a huge phone system)?

This sort of thing strikes me as being considerably more useful than
Caller ID.  In its simplest (but still useful) form, it could just
ring a bell (or something) when hearing a short touch-tone sequence.
An outgoing message would be nice, too.

The technology of telecommunications seems to excel at dreaming up
capabilities which irritate the hell out of the little guy (Caller ID
included here).  How about something that works in his favor?

Mike Coleman

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (04/10/91)

Mike Coleman <coleman@twinsun.com> writes:

> In alt.privacy, greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:

> > These already exist.  You dial, then must supply a code sequence before
> > the phone will ring.  The caller's name appears on a display so you can
> > decide whether or not to answer.

> Does anyone know if these are available in any kind of affordable form
> (i.e., not part of a huge phone system)?

> This sort of thing strikes me as being considerably more useful than
> Caller ID.

Oh yes, these little boxes are quite available and are relatively
inexpensive, and will become more so as CLASS services become more
widespread. But as to your assertion that the device is more useful
than Caller ID, not only do I disagree but counterassert that the
device is rude to callers.

First, you insist that a caller must have a DTMF-capable phone to
aspire to the higher levels of your graces. No entry of digits would,
I assume, be construed as an "unknown caller" or worse, "withholding
of ID". Second, this wonderful device answers your phone every time,
charging the caller for all attempts, successful or not.

So your [fill in the relationship of someone close to you] is stranded
and calls you from a COCOT that disallows DTMF after call completion.
Not only has that person been unsuccessful, but has lost coin in the
process.

As a person who potentially would be rejected by Call Block (tm), I
can assure you that I would rather have the line not answered or a
rejection recording come from the CO at no charge than face one of
those Rube Goldberg boxes, knowing that I had just paid for the
privledge.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Leryo Malbito <leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu> (04/10/91)

In Telecom Volume 11 Issue 277, on the subject of a device that would
prompt for a DTMF passcode before allowing the call to go through, Jim
Coleman writes:

> Does anyone know if these are available in any affordable form
> (i.e., not part of a huge phone system)?

The other day while browsing through a store called The Spy Shop in
New York, I picked up a flyer on the counter. I will retype here the
entirety of this flyer.

'New' 'Improved' (Snicker - Leryo)

LineMinder(tm) ... complete control of your telephone!

Now you can take complete control of your telephone.  With LINE
MINDER(tm):A compact, electronic device that connects to your
telephone and automatically screens all incoming calls. When your four
digit security number is entered by the caller from a touch tone
phone, LINE MINDER(tm) will alert you that an authorized call is
waiting.

SIMPLE TO SETUP

  LINE MINDER(tm) is powered by your phone. No special batteries or AC
* power adapters are needed. To set it up, you simply switch to the
PASSWORD mode and create your own security password using the
telephone's keypad.  You can use any four numbers, including the *
key. LINE MINDER(tm) signals you when your password is accepted.

EASY TO OPERATE

  Once you've entered your password, just turn LINE MINDER(tm) to the
ON mode to begin operation. That's all. LINE MINDER(tm) does the rest.
Automatically.

  The LINE MINDER(tm) voice prompts the caller for the password. When
the incoming caller enters the correct password, LINE MINDER(tm)
signals you with a pleasant, distinctive, intermittent beep. When you
lift the receiver, LINE MINDER(tm) stops beeping. And you can begin
your conversation. If a wrong password is enteres, LINE MINDER(tm)
disconnects the caller.

  Since LINE MINDER(tm) is password protected, you only get calls from
people who have your password.

  To cease operation, simply switch LINE MINDER(tm) to the OFF mode
and all calls will be unscreened and ring the phone.

HOME SECURITY

  LINE MINDER(tm) is phone security that lets you mind your own
business -- and stops unwanted callers or intruders from doing the
same.

LINE MINDER(tm) eliminates:
*nuisance calls
*obscene calls
*threatening calls
*wrong numbers
*unwanted calls
*the need or expense of an unlisted number

  What's more, this telephone device will never tell strangers that
you are not home.

LINE MINDER(tm) FEATURES:

1) Voice Response
2) Easy set-up and operation
3) Lightweight, compact, durable construction
4) Manual security set
5) Industry Ringer
6) ON/OFF/Password switch
7) Telephone line powered

LINE MINDER(tm) PACKAGING
1) FCC Registered
2) Line cable
3) Password number notices (pad of 50)
4) Approximately 3" x 5" x 1"
5) Weighs less than one pound
6) 100 days of warranty
7) Now with AC/DC power source

Whew.

As always 'New, Improved!' make me laugh, but this looks like an
interesting idea. A major benefit is the idea of never telling
strangers that your not home, although I don't personally know any
burglars who use this method of calling random numbers then finding
out the address, or whatever.

A downside:

Should Uncle Jaime call from his vacation in Nigeria and enter 7363
instead of 7364, he would be disconnected and charged for the call.

According to the flyer, Spy Shop can be reached at:

889 First Avenue, New York, New York 10022    212-755-4900
(and I THINK 800 SPY-Shop ... but I'm not sure.)

In general Spy Shop sells bug-detection equipment and will only sell
'bugs' to authorized law enforcement personnell.  But they also have
various other bizarre stuff, pretty expensive.

Should anyone pursue this, please respond here with whatever info the
salesman gives you, especially about price, etc. (Which is not given
on the flyer).

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with 'The Spy
Shop'(tm?)  and am receiving no reimbursement for this, only hoping to
be an aid to fellow netters out there.

Steve Forrette <c164-as%cordelia.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu> (04/11/91)

John Higdon writes,

> So your [fill in the relationship of someone close to you] is stranded
> and calls you from a COCOT that disallows DTMF after call completion.
> Not only has that person been unsuccessful, but has lost coin in the
> process.

But John, since you're calling from a COCOT, you will lose your coin
anyway!

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu

Michael Coleman <coleman@cs.ucla.edu> (04/12/91)

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

[Password box not as useful as Caller ID, and is rude to callers.  And
what about the case where the phone is not touch-tone, or some broken
COCOT phone?]

Well, this may be true, but this is not nearly as rude as I would
*like* to be.  I recall that in a story "Friday" by Robert Heinlein,
one of the characters had a "door bell" which presented a transaction
which boiled down to something like this:

   This is the __ residence.  If you feel you have something to discuss
   that I will find important, you can summon me by inserting $20; if I
   agree, I will return it.

Along these lines, I would love to have as my residential line
something similar to a 1-900 number, except that I could cancel the
charge with a push of a button.  The phone company will never provide
this sort of service for a reasonable price, of course.

I don't want to be rude to my friends, but I would like to be as rude
as possible with unsolicited callers, in the hope that they will stop.

As for the objection that not everyone has a correctly-functioning
touch-tone phone, I agree that this could occasionally be a problem.
It's difficult to come up with a perfect solution when the individual
is pitted against the phone company, the telemarketing industry, and
other assorted lowlifes.  If they would cease and desist, none of this
would be necessary.

MC