[comp.dcom.telecom] Separate "City" Code for Mobile Phones

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (04/08/91)

I recently noticed a city code 836 in the UK for mobile phones.  How
long has this been around?

In country code 1, area code 917 is proposed to serve only cellular
and mobile in New York City area (at least part of such cellular and
mobile are currently in area 212).  Bronx had been proposed to go into
917, then that got changed to Bronx-proposed-to-go-into-718, leaving
917 with no proposed land-lines.

"John R. Covert 09-Apr-1991 1436" <covert@covert.enet.dec.com> (04/09/91)

> I recently noticed a city code 836 in the UK for mobile phones.  How
> long has this been around?

This is the way it has been done since the advent of cellular several
years ago.

0836+6D is Vodaphone, 0860+6D is BT Cellnet.  In Germany, 0161+7D is
C-Netz.  In Australia it's 018+6D.

All cellular numbers, regardless of location in the country, are
assigned numbers within the cellular prefix.  Cellular phone users do
not pay for incoming calls; the caller, regardless of location, pays
for the call to the cellular customer.  There is a special rate for
calls to cellular phones from within the country; when calling
cellular phones from outside the country, only the normal
international rate applies.

This creates the interesting situation that it is cheaper to call
German cellular phones from outside Germany than from within
Germany.

Warning: Both Vodaphone and BT as well as Telecom Australia Mobilenet
charge you for reaching the "it has not been possible to connect your
call" recording.  I believe this violates CCITT Recommendations, but I
don't know how to get it fixed.

Germany does not have this problem.

john

"Spyros C. Bartsocas" <scb@cs.brown.edu> (04/10/91)

> I recently noticed a city code 836 in the UK for mobile phones.
> In country code 1, area code 917 is proposed to serve only cellular
> and mobile in New York City area (at least part of such cellular and

Although Greece does not have cellular phones, there is a similar
setup for beepers.  All beepers are in area code 921.  As until a few
years ago 9 was used to call Cyprus, there no other area codes
starting with 9.

About this special setup between Greece and Cyprus: Until a few years
ago you could call Cyprus as a long-distance call instead of an
international call.  The calling sequence was [long distance] - 9 -
[Cyprus areacode] - [telephone number]. I do not know if there was a
similar setup from their side.  Now the setup is similar as to most
other places in the world ([international] - [357]- ....).

Spyros Bartsocas
scb@cs.brown.edu

Alan Laird <aiml@cs.strath.ac.uk> (04/12/91)

In article <telecom11.279.1@eecs.nwu.edu> covert@covert.enet.dec.com
(John R. Covert 09-Apr-1991 1436) writes:

> Warning: Both Vodaphone and BT as well as Telecom Australia Mobilenet
> charge you for reaching the "it has not been possible to connect your
> call" recording.  I believe this violates CCITT Recommendations, but I

Its worse than that (as they say). I believe BT charge for ringing
time to a cellular phone. I've also noticed recently a few very short
duration calls on my Vodaphone bill to a Cellnet number. This would
seem to suggest that I'm being charged for ringing time to Cellnet. I
know for a fact that at least some of these calls were not answered.

BTW: Vodaphone have a second exhange code which is 0831. I don't know
if cellnet have a second code yet (I expect they do but haven't had to
start using it).

Alan  I  M  Laird,   Department  of  Computer  Science,
University  of  Strathclyde,   Glasgow  G1  1XH,    UK.
aiml@uk.ac.strath.cs,  041 552 4400 x3081,  0836 320786