[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone Audio to RCA Jack

James Blake <jblake@sirius.uvic.ca> (04/10/91)

Has anyone ever come across a device which would allow one to take the
line level out from an RCA jack to a telephone line and to take the
audio from a phone to a RCA jack?

james

"Paul S. Sawyer" <paul@unhtel.unh.edu> (04/11/91)

In article <telecom11.279.12@eecs.nwu.edu> jblake@sirius.uvic.ca
(James Blake) writes:

> Has anyone ever come across a device which would allow one to take the
> line level out from an RCA jack to a telephone line and to take the
> audio from a phone to a RCA jack?

If your application is as simple as it sounds, the Bogen WMT-1 comes
to my mind -- bridging transformer, with RCA jack <-> screw terminals.

Paul S. Sawyer             {uunet,attmail}!unhtel!paul    paul@unhtel.unh.edu
UNH CIS - - Telecommunications and Network Services      VOX: +1 603 862 3262
Durham, New Hampshire  03824-3523                        FAX: +1 603 862 2030

rlg@nosc.mil (04/11/91)

In article <telecom11.279.12@eecs.nwu.edu> you write:

> Has anyone ever come across a device which would allow one to take the
> line level out from an RCA jack to a telephone line and to take the
> audio from a phone to a RCA jack?

A quick-and-dirty hack to go from an audio jack to phone line:

Get an old phone with a _carbon_ mic (the pop-out kind).  Remove the
mic.  Connect the audio to the mic contacts, and adjust the output
level.  These phones don't seem too particular about impedence.
Messy, inelegant, may cause warts, etc. but it has worked for me.
(Somebody will probably have something to say about this :)

To go from the phone line to audio, consider a call-recording device.

Randy Gregor                                    | Computersmith
rlg@xenon.sr.com or uunet!paralogics!compsm!rlg | POB 25-D
+1 213 477 4338                                 | Los Angeles, CA  90025

Andy Jacobson <IZZYAS1@mvs.oac.ucla.edu> (04/12/91)

In TD V.11 #279 James Blake <jblake@sirius.uvic.ca> said:

> Has anyone ever come across a device which would allow one to take the
> line level out from an RCA jack to a telephone line and to take the
> audio from a phone to a RCA jack?

If you're willing to consider a 1/4 inch jack for your audio source,
there is of course the Ma Bell "QKP" "QKT' or "QKTBT" voice coupler
arrangement.  These little jobs were provided usually in a type 30
jack housing, or occasionally engineered with a 1/4 jack in the side
of a reworked 500 type phone set. Primarily for radio stations for the
ubiquitous "phone patch" so often used for call in shows and remote
broadcasts, in most arrangements they were bridged off of the co line
and were turned on/off by a switch on the side of the associated
phone.

The old ones consisted of little more than a transformer for
isolation, a capacitor (to prevent passage of DC?) and a zenor to
limit the line level (and of course a 1/4 inch jack). They were crude
devices, producing a characteristic distortion and giving a poor
signal level match for broadcasting two-way conversations. Later
versions contained more circuitry removing the distortion. Most
stations that can afford them use expensive and well engineered
bridges from non-telco vendors that clean up the audio and match the
signal level.

Many of these devices are made to work with 1A2 equipment, and are
designed to be hooked up to the CO or KSU line, entirely replacing the
phone set. I don't remember the names of any of the manufacturers, but
they are available from any broadcast supply house such as Allied
(Harris) Broadcast Supply.

Andy Jacobson<izzyas1@oac.ucla.edu> or <izzyas1@UCLAMVS.bitnet>

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (04/13/91)

jartel!compsm!rlg@nosc.mil (Randy Gregor) writes:

> In article <telecom11.279.12@eecs.nwu.edu> is written:

> > Has anyone ever come across a device which would allow one to take the
> > line level out from an RCA jack to a telephone line and to take the
> > audio from a phone to a RCA jack?

> Get an old phone with a _carbon_ mic (the pop-out kind).  Remove the
> mic.  Connect the audio to the mic contacts, and adjust the output
> level.

and

"Paul S. Sawyer" <paul@unhtel.unh.edu> writes:

> If your application is as simple as it sounds, the Bogen WMT-1 comes
> to my mind -- bridging transformer, with RCA jack <-> screw terminals.

That bridging transformer is most important. Never, but never connect
any unbalanced audio equipment directly to any telephone or other
device directly connected to the network unless you are positive that
isolation is provided within.

One of the first commandments that we telco experimenters learned was
"thou shalt not unbalance or introduce foreign battery on a telco
line". If you connect unbalanced audio equipment without a transformer
for isolation you will at best probably introduce hum and noise on the
line and at worst introduce a safety hazard with unanticipated leakage
currents. While the connection of a battery operated device MAY work
OK without isolation, it is better to just obey the rule of making
sure that your connection is isolated and balanced.

If you leave such a device connected during the automated testing
(done usually at night), a trouble ticket will be generated and you
may have to deal with a repair man showing up. In the old days, this
would have been tantamount to a visit by the FBI in our minds, but
even though times have changed you do not need the hassle.

Whatever you do, do not indiscriminately connect stuff to the handset
transmitter contacts.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !