[comp.dcom.telecom] Re Is a Data Conference Using Three-Way CAlling Possible?

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (04/13/91)

In article <telecom11.281.3@eecs.nwu.edu> leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Leryo
Malbito) writes:

> Would anyone know how one could set up a data conference using
> three-way calling?...

Our Moderator replied:

> [Moderator's Note: You cannot do what you want. The modem has only two
> conditions....

In Digest 11, Issue 286, Andy Sherman <andys@ulysses.att.com> offered a
possibility:

> certain types of data conference calls can be set up, but the
> cost is probably too high for BBS'ing. ... AT&T's Alliance(tm)

> Teleconferencing service has some kind of bridge modem set up to allow

> graphics to be shared by multiple sites. ...

This brought our Moderator to suggest:

> [Moderator's Note: ... be the CB Simulator program on Compuserve. ...
> Instead of a direct link between modems ... each party transmits to
> a central computer, and that computer then parcels everything back out
> again, usually instantly or nearly so.   PAT]

If acccomplishing such a computer conference is *not* mandated using
three-way telephone calling, and if you have a PC with hard drive
available, the PC BBS software called TBBS provides such a CB-like
function to multiple callers.  It's done by writing each incoming
message to the BBS' hard disk, then broadcasting that message back out
to all parties connected at the time.

The obvious drawback to small operators is, of course, a serial port,
modem and dial line for each connected participant. If, however, this
is not a problem, TBBS might well suffice.  I'm not aware of how TBBS
is distributed, but a scan of BBS's in most any major city will find
one or more BBS's using TBBS, and of course, one can then ask its
Sysop for a source of the software (and if you want hardware for multi
 ... and I mean MULTI, for some have dozens of lines ... modem ports).

[Moderator's Note: This is a good opportunity to introduce everyone to
Phil Becker, author of the TBBS software. Becker, of Aurora, CO, wrote
<T>he <B>read <B>oard <S>ystem originally (1980) as a single line BBS
package for the Radio Shack computers of that era. He revised it many
times during the early and middle 1980's to include newer Radio Shack
machines such as the Model 4 (I think) and the IBM PC. He expanded
TBBS into multi-line versions, capable of handling 8, 16 or 32 line
BBS programs. The success of Compuserve's CB Simulator was apparently
the reason Becker chose to incorporate it in later versions of TBBS. I
helped with beta-testing of a couple versions of multi-line TBBS which
were installed here with a local sysop. About 1985 or so, Becker added
the software necessary for TBBS to interface with FIDO and
participate in that international mail and newsgroup (Fido calls them
'echomail conferences') network.  I'd strongly recommend TBBS to
anyone starting a multi-line BBS. (I wish *I* had the money and phone
lines here to do it!)   PAT