[comp.dcom.telecom] "Hello, I'm Digit-Dialing ..."

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (04/06/91)

I was in my car the other day and had my office line forwarded to my
car. Got the following call:

Me: "Hello, <name of company>, can I help you?"

Woman: "Yes, I'm digit-dialing and I was wondering if your company
        has any other numbers in this prefix?"

Me: "What's digit dialing?"

Woman: "I'm dialing all of the numbers that begin with 881-8"

Me: "Why? Why are you doing this?"

Woman: "I'm telemarketing."

I go on to bawl her out for invading my privacy and tying up my
business line. I hand her some line about how that is illegal and that
she better not call me again or I'd call the police. She politly says,
"Thank you. Goodbye"

Hmmmm. Someone wrote a very bad telemarketing script for her. They
actually told her to be *HONEST* about it!!

E-MAIL Address: jpp@tygra.UUCP

Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.hackercorp.com> (04/13/91)

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:

> Woman: "I'm telemarketing."

> I go on to bawl her out for invading my privacy and tying up my
> business line. I hand her some line about how that is illegal and that
> she better not call me again or I'd call the police. She politely says,
> "Thank you. Goodbye"

a. It's not illegal. It is less than honorable to feed her a line like
that.

b. Personally, I would have thanked her for being so honest about what
she was doing, and for taking the time to skip the rest of my group.
All you're doing here is encouraging sleeze.

c. Your organization has a history of doing the equivalent of
telemarketing on Usenet, so why were you so bent out of shape over this?

> Hmmmm. Someone wrote a very bad telemarketing script for her. They
> actually told her to be *HONEST* about it!!

Honesty is considered a negative characteristic at Detroit Direct
Marketing Inc.  That explains a lot.

peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com