[comp.dcom.telecom] Is a Data Conference Using Three-Way Calling Possible?

Leryo Malbito <leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu> (04/09/91)

Would anyone know how one could set up a data conference using
three-way calling?  This seems like an idea that would be not too
difficult to implement, although a friend and I have unsuccessfully
tried several times.  The most logical way is for him and I to be on
the phone, then I go off-hook and dial the bbs (or whatever), then
once we come back we somehow connect.  Since the bbs will always
return an Answer tone, the only variables we have control of are my
modem and his ... and the possibilities for both are only originate
and answer.  One of us two MUST do an originate. It's very confusing
and we haven't had much success at all ... although it seems we have
exhausted all of our options.  The best we got was the first line of
the intro screen, then six or seven pages of trash. Oh well, if anyone
can help please respond.  In addition to fun possibilities this would
present the option of remote telecommunications tutoring.

[Moderator's Note: You cannot do what you want. The modem has only two
conditions: originate and answer. It cannot talk to another modem set
in the same mode. Any two of the three can communicate if one is set
to receive and the other to transmit. The third one will be (possibly)
able to talk to one or the other, but not both. What usually happens
is the third modem, in generating its own originate or answer carrier
makes the connection so cluttered with noise that none of the three
can communicate, as you have found out. I said modems have only two
modes: this is not entirely true. My US Robotics Courier 2400 has a
third mode called 'transmitter off', allowing it to sit there and
silently monitor what is happening otherwise. So with such a modem,
you could bring a three-way data connection up successfully provided
the third party sat there silently and did not throw carrier at the
other two.  PAT]

Andy Sherman <andys@ulysses.att.com> (04/12/91)

In article <telecom11.281.3@eecs.nwu.edu> leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Leryo
Malbito) writes:

> Would anyone know how one could set up a data conference using
> three-way calling?  This seems like an idea that would be not too
> difficult to implement, although a friend and I have unsuccessfully
> tried several times......

> [Moderator's Note: You cannot do what you want. The modem has only two
> conditions: originate and answer. It cannot talk to another modem set
> in the same mode. Any two of the three can communicate if one is set
> to receive and the other to transmit. The third one will be (possibly)
> able to talk to one or the other, but not both. What usually happens
> is the third modem, in generating its own originate or answer carrier
> makes the connection so cluttered with noise that none of the three
> can communicate, as you have found out. I said modems have only two
> modes: this is not entirely true. My US Robotics Courier 2400 has a
> third mode called 'transmitter off', allowing it to sit there and
> silently monitor what is happening otherwise. So with such a modem,
> you could bring a three-way data connection up successfully provided
> the third party sat there silently and did not throw carrier at the
> other two.  PAT]

Well, certain types of data conference calls can be set up, but the
cost is probably too high for BBS'ing.  I don't have the details, but
AT&T's Alliance(tm) Teleconferencing service has some kind of bridge
modem set up to allow graphics to be shared by multiple sites.  You
need a special modem on your end to do it, and you dial into the
Alliance bridge.  I believe the bridge re-broadcasts data to all
participants in the conference.  The AT&T OVERVIEW(tm) scanner
supported this service to allow the sharing of scanned documents with
remote pointing.

Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ
AUDIBLE: (201) 582-5928  READABLE: andys@ulysses.att.com  or att!ulysses!andys
What? Me speak for AT&T?  You must be joking!

[Moderator's Note: A notable example of a 'data conference call' would
be the CB Simulator program on Compuserve. And yes, it is expensive to
use. But there you have an example of how such a thing would be done
with three or more parties. Instead of a direct link between modems
however, what happens is each party transmits to a central computer,
and that computer then parcels everything back out again, usually
instantly or nearly so.   PAT]

Charles Bryant <ch@dce.ie> (04/12/91)

Malbito) writes:

> Would anyone know how one could set up a data conference using
> three-way calling?

> [Moderator's Note: You cannot do what you want. The modem has only two
> conditions: originate and answer. It cannot talk to another modem set
> in the same mode.

If you can modify the BBS software and modem it can be done. It is
just a multidrop configuration. However this requires that the modems
can support this.  Depending on the type of modem, it may be possible
to kludge something together anyway. If the modems can control whether
their carrier is on of off with RTS you can leave the BBS modem alone
and take turns transmitting for each of the other two. Since the BBS
will echo, this allows each user to see what the other is doing.

Note that the BBS will probably hang up when you try to switch between
users as there must be a brief loss of carrier, and even if it dosen't
some garbage characters will inevitably arrive at the BBS. If you can
use an error-correction protocol it could be made to work. Note that
the protocol would have to be specially devised, MNP or similar would
be no use since the receiver at the BBS must cope with packet numbers
from two sequences.

Charles Bryant  (ch@dce.ie)

Gordon Burditt <gordon@sneaky.lonestar.org> (04/14/91)

> [Moderator's Note: You cannot do what you want. The modem has only two
> conditions: originate and answer. It cannot talk to another modem set

I realize that half-duplex modems are not popular these days, but they
do exist, and their use was popular on multipoint dedicated lines,
among other places.  With decent transmission paths between all
parties (someone was complaining about a certain GTE switch providing
one-way transmission on three-way calling), you should be able to use
them in a three-way conversation.

There is no "originate" and "answer" - transmission in any direction
uses the same frequencies, with one modem turning on its transmitter
at a time.  A passive listener could "hear" all sides of the
conversation.  Often a "master" end would poll the "slave" ends in
sequence.  More complicated setups could switch mastership around.
The main problem is that you have to somehow settle who gets to talk
next, and when the current talker is done.

Software generally has to be very aware of the half-duplex operation,
so putting in half-duplex modems will likely require software changes,
and maybe extra control lines on the serial port.

Popular half-duplex modems included the Bell 202 (1200 bps asynchronous)
the Bell 201 (2400 bps synchronous).  There were more expensive 208 and
209 synchronous modems that required dedicated lines.

Gordon L. Burditt    sneaky.lonestar.org!gordon