[comp.dcom.telecom] London Code Split

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (05/11/89)

As most of you know, the dialing code for London from within the UK is
01 (the real city code being just the 1, of course).  This is reflected
in the title of a TV show over there: "01 For London".

And this is why the place where I learned that that code is being split
was in an entertainment magazine!  They were remarking that the producers
of that show would have to find a new title for it.

If I understood the piece correctly, rather than the system used in places
like New York where the more "central" area gets to retain the old, easily
dialed and remembered, code, in London the 01 will be abolished altogether;
part of the area will become 071 and the rest 081.  This is to happen on
May 6, 1990.

Mark Brader			"A hundred billion is *not* infinite
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		 and it's getting less infinite all the time!"
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com		-- Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

John Slater <John.Slater@uk.sun.com> (04/15/91)

Bob Goudreau wrote:

>> I believe the reason BT didn't choose the "017 & 018" option is that
>> they preferred to keep the entire "01..." sequence clear for as yet
>> unspecified future use.

>> I believe (and I don't speak for my employer on this) that as 01 is
>> already the international dialling sequence (eg the USA is 0101), 017
>> and 018 were out of the question, or just plain confusing.

> Beg your pardon?  I thought (and your own example seems to prove) that
> the international prefix was "010", not "01".  So where's the
> ambiguity for 017, 018, or indeed any 01x (as long as x != 0)?

Indeed. No ambiguity, but I was mistaken originally in claiming that
the entire "01..." sequence was now clear. And I should know, as my
Mercury account shows all too clearly how many international calls I
make :-(

However it's worth pointing out that there is a proposal to
standardise the international access code throughout the world. I
believe "00" is proposed, as this is used in quite a few countries
already. Germany springs to mind. This would fit in with both US and
UK systems without conflict. (Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong! :-)

Sorry, I can't substantiate this, or remember where I first heard
about it (here, perhaps?)

John Slater
Sun Microsystems UK, Gatwick Office