[comp.dcom.telecom] How Were Large Call Volumes Handled Long Ago?

Jeff Wasilko <jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu> (04/10/91)

ACDs have been mentioned a few times this week, which got me
wondering:

What did recipients of large volumes of calls do before ACDs? Did
someone manually distribute calls?

Also, there was a mention some time ago of an ACD that can
periodically announce your position in the queue, and the average wait
time from that point. Does this actually exist? I've never heard one
do that ... as someone who seems to spend a lot of time on hold, I'd
love to know how much longer.

Jeff Wasilko  BITNET: jjwcmp@ritvax  INET: jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu
INTERNET: jjwcmp@ritvax.rit.edu   UUCP: jjwcmp@ultb.UUCP

[Moderator's Note: The Chicago Transit Authority (312-MOHawk 7200) has
an ACD in their customer service unit which periodically announces
your position in the queue ("there are two calls ahead of you"). My
first knowledge of ACDs was about 1970. Diner's Club and Amoco Credit
Card had one in their sales authorization unit which pumped several
hundred calls per hour -- about 10,000 calls daily -- to
representatives who would authorize sales over the floor limit. Most
calls took about twenty seconds to handle, and came in on 800 numbers.

Prior to such systems, incoming calls were handled by large banks of
operators at cord switchboards, just like the ones telco used. When I
worked at the University of Chicago about 1960, they had 19 operator
positions for incoming calls. (Outgoing local calls were made by
dialing "9". Long distance went through the switchboard.) With an ACD
for incoming calls they were able to cut back to about six operator
positions.  PAT]

macy@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> (04/14/91)

In article <telecom11.282.6@eecs.nwu.edu>:

> What did recipients of large volumes of calls do before ACDs? Did
> someone manually distribute calls?

Well, Western Electric made electromechanical ACD's back into the
'50's as I recall.  The site I remember was a variation of a 701 as I
recall. I can't remember the exact offical designation.  I'd have to
drag out my old catalogs, but I think either SC or AE made something
along the same lines.  These were true ACD's and offered supervisor
positions along with some indication of load.

I also recall seeing an ACD setup based on a 101ESS node slaved out of
the central office.  ACD's were usually used only in larger
installations way back then.

Frankly, ACD's were not used by most organizations of small and medium
size until the '70's.  Small and medium sized installations were
handled in different ways:

We had a lot of dispatch areas that were nothing more that very big
(60 button) call directors with a large rotary hunt line group feeding
them.  Most of the large Police Dept. dispatch areas I saw back in the
'60's were done this way.  They were often supported with a 2040
Dialpak PAX for intercom and call transfer.  (Boy, I barely remember
these for some reason.)

In the early '70's, the first crossbar PBX's with circular rotary hunt
groups were introduced.  Many of these were used as pseudo-ACD's,
often with 1A2 systems behind them.  Early Rolm and Philco electronic
PBX's did not have any real ACD features, either.  They called
circular hunt groups ACD groups, but the introduction of real traffic
oriented ACD algorithims had to wait until CPU and RAM got a bit less
expensive.

> Also, there was a mention some time ago of an ACD that can
> periodically announce your position in the queue, and the average wait
> time from that point. Does this actually exist? I've never heard one
> do that ... as someone who seems to spend a lot of time on hold, I'd
> love to know how much longer.

There are a couple of ACD manufacturers doing this now. Technokron (sp?),
Rockwell, and Aspect have demonstrated these features, and tell me
they are delivering the products.  Several PBX manufacturers are in
the process of introducing these features.  I recently saw a Mitel
SX-2000 set up for this feature, and many others say they will deliver
this soon (Fujitsu 9600, NT Meridian, AT&T, Rolm, Tadiran, and others.)

Other features that are now being seen in the medium size systems that
were previously seen only in larger systems:

- Predictive routing:  When a call lands in the system, the current call
  load is calculated, and the call is set to overflow positions (at the
  same site or at other locations) if the system predicts that the call
  would have to hold beyond certain time period while holding for the
  first choice ACD group.

- Call Center Management:  The system prints out reports showing current
  also provided.  Some systems use an external processor for management
  reporting and can assist in estimating call center staffing requirements
  based on accumlated history.  This can also be used to show which agents
  are the most/least productive.

- Off Premise Overflow:  Too busy? Send the calls to another call
  center ... This can also be used to send calls to agents working at
  home (kinda like what some of the 900 dial-a-friend services are now
  doing...)

- System Load Display:  The present holding time and number of calls holding
  are displayed on electronic wall displays and/or the agent phones...
  keeps up the pressure to keep things moving...

Side note: We now have auto-attendant systems that add some
intelligent call holding features to a phone system.  If you call and
reach a busy station, the system announces: There is one call holding
presently, press 1 to hold.  (Other use can be made of this feature,
too.)

Public announcement: Dayton Hamvention (currently the largest amateur
radio convention in the world) is April 26-28.  Think of 10,000 nerds
accompanied by massive intermodulation products.  Its a very
worthwhile convention, with more and more emphasis on the overlapping
fields of telecom and computers.  We are currently accepting
suggestions for a simplex frequency for all internet/telecom types to
meet on.

Macy M. Hallock, Jr. macy@fmsystm.UUCP
macy@NCoast.ORG  uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy

nagle@uunet.uu.net> (04/16/91)

jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) writes:

> ACDs have been mentioned a few times this week, which got me
> wondering:

> What did recipients of large volumes of calls do before ACDs? Did
> someone manually distribute calls?

     Yes, using "order turrets", special switchboards set up for the
purpose.  But Automatic Call Distribution was introduced in 1932, with
the No. 3. Order Turret.  The problem is very similar to distributing
calls from one level of selectors to the next in a step-by-step
office, and was first solved using that technology.  Definitely not a
new feature.

John Nagle