[comp.dcom.telecom] Convenience of Phone System?

David Gast <gast@cs.ucla.edu> (04/10/91)

Barton.Bruce@camb.com wrote:

> Phone numbers are a crude temporary necessity they have imposed on us.
> Wouldn't it be nice to simply speak into the phone and say 'my friend
> Tony Jones's third office line please', and from the random pay phone be
> voice recognised as you and thereby indicating which Tony Jones is
> being refered to.

Sometimes I am really amazed at the suggestions that are made to
improve convenience.  To some extent the above may be convenient.  On
the other hand, do we really want the phone company (and every COCOT
sleeze since the example above includes a pay phone) or the government
to recognize our voice on a routine basis?  Our every move would be
tracked.

Additionally, this particular scenario has a huge security hole: I
call someone, they record my voice, then they call someone, but pipe
their input through a device that simulates my voice.  Now they can
easily represent themselves as me.  Perhaps we should close some the
existing security holes before we make new giant ones.

David

[Moderator's Note: And what, pray tell, is the difference between this
and sending someone a written letter who then forges my handwriting
and signs off on some fraudulent documents for me?  Maybe we should
stop allowing handwritten communication between people (or individuals
and companies) before this 'existing security hole' gets worse. How
inconvenient do you want things to be just to accomodate your fears
about 'what might happen'?    PAT]

zellich@stl-07sima.army.mil (Rich Zellich) (04/11/91)

> Wouldn't it be nice to simply speak into the phone and say 'my friend
> Tony Jones's third office line please', and from the random pay phone
> be voice recognised as you and thereby indicating which Tony Jones is
> being refered to.

Take a look at X.400 e-mail "addresses"; that's why all those fields
are in there.  The general idea is to allow future Directory-Service
lookup on fields likely to be known to you (name, organization,
country, etc.).  There's no reason you can't do something similar with
telephone "addresses".  All you need is a black box with the requisite
smarts, or a phone-board in your personal computer.  It will require a
fair amount of intelligence in the software to not only recognize
spoken words, but also to parse them into something meaningful to the
system's directory-search algorithm, but it's certainly doable (though
perhaps very expensive) right now.

If I can have an e-mail alias file with entries like "jff2" (an old
NIC Ident) and "oscteam", then I can certainly do the same thing with
a telephone-system alias file.  Perhaps the future will even allow
[inter]national directory lookup as well; my opinion is that it would
be to the phone companies benefit to provide easy and *free* directory
lookup in the interest of generating more per-call revenue.

I don't know about "from any random pay phone", though.  Perhaps when
computing power gets a bit cheaper we'll be able to use something like
a Casio BOSS with a voice-recognizer and a tone-generator built in,
and use the hand-held device to do our dialing for us.  Actually, we
can do that now (but without the voice-input capability, of course),
*very* cheaply with a shirt-pocket dialer with a name-number memory
and a simple lcd-screen interface.

[Moderator's Note: We have 'alias addresses' to a limited extent now
with the speed-calling function offered by most telcos with an ESS
office. A long distance carrier who also offers 'alias addresses' is
Telecom USA. As part of their Calling Card service, when on their
switch, *90 allows you to program up to nine (*91 through *99) 'speed
numbers' when using their switch for your long distance calls.  PAT]

casterli@lamar.colostate.edu (leroy Casterline) (04/17/91)

>> Wouldn't it be nice to simply speak into the phone and say 'my friend
>> Tony Jones's third office line please'...

While I was at Winter CES this year, I saw just such a product.  Let's
see, where did I put that spec sheet ... shuffle ... ah, here it is.
Called the ORIGIN Voicephone from Origin Technology, Sunnyvale, CA.
(408) 734-1021.

Leroy Casterline