[comp.dcom.telecom] My New Toy: Call Forwarder From Radio Shack

TELECOM Moderator <telecom@eecs.nwu.edu> (04/08/91)

Over the weekend I bought a CPS-200 Call Forwarding System from Radio
Shack.  At the local store here, they had one left, marked down to
$29.95, and I thought that price alone made it worthwhile.

This unit does require two actual phone lines; one to accept calls,
and the other to forward the call. Since I have 'genuine' call
forwarding from Illinois Bell, I won't need it a lot, but one good use
came to mind: I'll use it to remotely turn on call forwarding on my
main line!

The device takes calls on (relative to it) 'line 1' and forwards the
call on (relative to it) 'line 2'.  You call on the device's 'line 2'
to remotely make changes in the forwarded number and turn the device
on or off.  Device line 1/2  < = > 2/1 on my phones. So I call on
device line 2 (my phone line 1) and it answers after 17 rings. I tell
it to 'forward' my calls to 1172-new-number. I hang up and call back
on device line 1 (my phone line 2) and my call forces the device to
dial out on phone line 1 '1172-new-number'.  Presto, forwarding has
been established, and subsequent calls to my phone line 1 go to
wherever the forwarding (1172) said to go. The only problem is I
cannot change that number or cancel forwarding since after forwarding
has been established, telco controls my line and I can't get near the
device (via phone line 1 / device line 2) until I come home and kill
it with 1173.  Let me work on this scheme a little longer.

PAT

Tim Irvin <irvin@northstar105.dartmouth.edu> (04/09/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #277, Moderator writes:

> The device takes calls on (relative to it) 'line 1' and forwards the
> call on (relative to it) 'line 2'.  You call on the device's 'line 2'
> to remotely make changes in the forwarded number and turn the device
> on or off.  Device line 1/2  < = > 2/1 on my phones. So I call on
> device line 2 (my phone line 1) and it answers after 17 rings. I tell
> it to 'forward' my calls to 1172-new-number. I hang up and call back
> on device line 1 (my phone line 2) and my call forces the device to
> dial out on phone line 1 '1172-new-number'.  Presto, forwarding has
> been established, and subsequent calls to my phone line 1 go to
> wherever the forwarding (1172) said to go. The only problem is I
> cannot change that number or cancel forwarding since after forwarding
> has been established, telco controls my line and I can't get near the
> device (via phone line 1 / device line 2) until I come home and kill
> it with 1173.  Let me work on this scheme a little longer.

I can see only one way around this, and that requires that IBT and NET
have the same features.  If you get a distinctive ringing feature on
your "phone line 1/device line 2", and have IBT Call Forwarding
activated to only work on your Main number (not your distinctive ring
number).  Then to cancel Call Forwarding, call your distinctive ring
number, which will ring through to the Ripoff Shack box and your off
and running.  And since your distinctive ring number will "ring-ring",
you will only have to wait nine rings (actually 8-1/2 :) -- an added
bonus.

Tim Irvin

[Moderator's Note: Bravo! You found the solution, and yes, I do have
a distinctive (short double-ring) number attached to my first line and
no, it is not set to forward when the main line is forwarded. I have
not yet tested to see if your theory of it 'answering in half the
time' is valid.    PAT]

Michael Coleman <coleman@cs.ucla.edu> (04/10/91)

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) writes:

> So I call on
> device line 2 (my phone line 1) and it answers after 17 rings. I tell
> it to 'forward' my calls to 1172-new-number. I hang up and call back

So...  What's your phone number, Mr. Townson?  ;-)

[Moderator's Note: Many people know my number -- and some say they've
got my number (!) :) ... but the catch is, if anyone answers within 17
rings the deal is off, and when it does answer, you need my password.
Then, it would help if you knew the number of the second line so you
could dial it and activate the first line.   PAT]

rlg@nosc.mil (04/11/91)

In article <telecom11.277.4@eecs.nwu.edu> TELECOM Moderator writes:

> Over the weekend I bought a CPS-200 Call Forwarding System from Radio
> Shack.  At the local store here, they had one left, marked down to
> $29.95, and I thought that price alone made it worthwhile.

Definitely. (I assume this is really the CFS-200).
                                          ^
[Moderator's Note: You are right, it is the CFS-200.   PAT]

> This unit does require two actual phone lines; one to accept calls,
> and the other to forward the call. Since I have 'genuine' call
> forwarding from Illinois Bell, I won't need it a lot, but one good use
> came to mind: I'll use it to remotely turn on call forwarding on my
> main line!

> ... [exotic method to remotely set up "1172" telco
> call-forwarding has a problem with loss of remote control, followup
> suggesting use of distinctive ringing to solve the problem.]

I actually prefer the CFS-200's call forwarding to that provided by my
telco (GTE).

I just use the box as intended, without trying to make it set up telco
call forwarding instead.

When a call comes in on line 1, the box immediately calls out on line
2.  When line 2 is answered, the box waits for someone to speak, then
beeps to let the answering party know that this is a forwarded call.
Only then is line 1 answered/supervised and bridged to line 2.

This is so fast that the caller does not notice anything unusual.

When working at a client's site, I can set it up to ring in on one of
their unused rotary lines, if available.  Otherwise, I just have it
call their main number, the receptionist answers "Amalgamated
Industries", hears a beep, then answers "Computersmith" because she
knows its for me.

Other benefits:

  - You can forward out on the line with all the discount calling
    programs.

  - You can have it follow you from place to place (even without
    distinctive ringing.)

  - If the forwarded call is not answered, an answering machine on
    line 1 can still take the call.

I am surprised at how well it works, particularly for a Radio Shack
product.

Randy Gregor                                    | Computersmith
rlg@xenon.sr.com or uunet!paralogics!compsm!rlg | POB 25-D
+1 213 477 4338                                 | Los Angeles, CA  90025

[Moderator's Note: The way you describe it is exactly how mine works.
The problem I have is, I *forget* to turn on call-forwarding when I
leave and I forget to turn it off when I return. If I can't remember
to dial it on the phone, I probably would not remember to flip the
little switch on the unit to turn it on when I left. That's why I
though in my case it would be better as a <controller> to turn the
telco version on from a distance. The ideal service for me would be
'transfer on busy/no answer', and it would automatically follow me. On
my cell phone I have that feature and can program it on/off/where to
forward from the cell phone. On my home line, IBT insists they only
offer it programmed from the CO always on, with absolutely no way to
change the destination, etc other than a $15 work order.  PAT]

JOHN WINSLADE <winslade@zeus.unomaha.edu> (04/12/91)

In a recent article, Patrick writes:

> Over the weekend I bought a CPS-200 Call Forwarding System from Radio
> Shack.  At the local store here, they had one left, marked down to
> $29.95, and I thought that price alone made it worthwhile.

> This unit does require two actual phone lines; one to accept calls,
> and the other to forward the call. Since I have 'genuine' call
> forwarding from Illinois Bell, I won't need it a lot, but one good use
> came to mind: I'll use it to remotely turn on call forwarding on my
> main line!

That's a very interesting use for the unit.  Am I correct to assume
that the reason it is being closed out is that it is almost useless as
a 'real' call diverter because (among other things) it simply bridges
the two lines which results in the acoustic efficiency close to that
of tin cans and string?

I have yet to see, but would like to find a call diverter and a
'conference' phone that makes some kind of attempt to equalize and
amplify the link between the end connections so that the parties
involved do not have to shout.  The so-called conference phones
usually bridge the lines and are about as useful as the proverbial
screen door on the submarine.

I realize that balancing the line from the subscriber end is very
messy, but I would have thought by now that someone would have figured
out a way to do it.

Good day!        JSW

[Moderator's Note: I think the reason they are being closed out is
because most people would not buy it when they realized that unlike
the telco version, it requires two actual phone lines. In fact, the
manager of the Radio Shack promptly mentioned that to me when I
expressed interest in this unit. I only used it a couple times as it
was intended, and I did not notice any audio degredation. This version
came out a few years ago when telco custom calling was less common in
many areas of the country. I think most people now prefer to use the
telco version when possible.   PAT]

Stephen Tell <tell@cs.unc.edu> (04/15/91)

In article <telecom11.287.4@eecs.nwu.edu> winslade@zeus.unomaha.edu
(JOHN WINSLADE) writes:

> In a recent article, Patrick writes:

>> Over the weekend I bought a CPS-200 Call Forwarding System from Radio
>> Shack.  At the local store here, they had one left, marked down to
>> $29.95, and I thought that price alone made it worthwhile.

Based on discussion here I went and looked at one, and then bought the
last one they had here in Chapel Hill.

> That's a very interesting use for the unit.  Am I correct to assume
> that the reason it is being closed out is that it is almost useless as
> a 'real' call diverter because (among other things) it simply bridges
> the two lines which results in the acoustic efficiency close to that
> of tin cans and string?

The last page of the instruction booklet contains a schematic for the
unit.  This is really why I bought it.  Its tiny; use a magnifying
glass or enlarging xerox machine.  There do appear to be some opamps
and stuff between the isolation transformers (one per line).  I
haven't analyzed the circuit yet.

The heart of the thing is a 40-pin DIP with smaller-than-usual pin
spacing.  Its obviously one of those single-chip computers, although I
don't recognize it:

The schematic calls it a TMS7DC42.
The chip itself is labeled: TCT1061
		            MAS (delta) 727 02

Where (delta) indicates a symbol that looks a lot like the greek
letter of that name.  Most of the pins on the chip are clearly I/O
lines; the pins are labeled on the schematic:

A0-7, B0-7, C0-7, D0-7, INT1*, INT3*, VSS, VDD, MC, RESET*, XTAL1, and
XTAL2.

Anyone recognize this beastie?  I haven't done much investigating yet.
If I can't find out what chip this is, I may just desolder it and wire
the I/O pins up to an 8052 based board or somthing.  Of course I'll
get to do software from scratch that way, but I probably couldn't read
the code out of the chip that's in there.  Its probably a
mask-programmed thingy.

It looks like a good toy for someone who's comfortable with a
soldering iron and EPROM programmer.  If I find out anything more I
will follow up if there's interest in projects based around this thing.

Steve Tell       tell@cs.unc.edu    H: +1 919 968 1792   #5L Estes Park apts
CS Grad Student, UNC Chapel Hill.   W: +1 919 962 1845   Carrboro NC 27510

leroy Casterline <casterli@lamar.colostate.edu> (04/16/91)

> The device takes calls on (relative to it) 'line 1' and forwards the
> call on (relative to it) 'line 2'.  You call on the device's 'line 2'

My company just finished developing a call forwarding device for a
client.  This device will forward calls using three-way calling and a
single phone line.  It will forward calls to just about anything,
including cellular phones, pagers, SMR's and international numbers.
Re-programming is accomplished by calling it and overdialing a code
when it speaks the "Please wait, this call is being transferred"
message.  This brings up a voice menu which allows you to change
forward-to numbers, change it's mode, etc.

It can also be used in a mode where it allows the answering machine to
answer the call, then monitors for 'screening' DTMF tones, which will
transfer the call to one of the forward-to numbers on the spot.
Allows you to give the codes to 'important' clients, family members,
etc who can then reach you wherever you are, while other callers (who
don't know the codes) are handled by the answering machine.  One nice
feature of this device is that it allows you to receive calls on your
cellular phone (even while roaming) without you having to give your
cellular number to anyone.

Leroy Casterline

Chip Rosenthal <chip@chinacat.unicom.com> (04/18/91)

In article <telecom11.293.5@eecs.nwu.edu> tell@cs.unc.edu (Stephen
Tell) writes:

> The schematic calls it a TMS7DC42.

TMS70C42???  That's a T.I. 8-bit micro.

> Where (delta) indicates a symbol that looks a lot like the greek
> letter of that name.

That delta is probably the `ESD sensitive device' marking.

Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260   Unicom Systems Development
<chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>