[comp.dcom.telecom] Source For Special Screwdriver Wanted

Leryo Malbito <leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu> (04/09/91)

A totally unrelated topic: Does anyone have ANY idea where to get
those strange screwdrivers that fit screws with two holes in them?  I
assume the screwdriver looks like some sort of fork with two prongs in
it.  Does anyone know if they sell these screwdrivers to the general
public?

Thanks.

Rich Zellich <zellich@stl-07sima.army.mil> (04/11/91)

If you can't find the two-pin special driver right away, just buy a
cheapie regular-blade screwdriver at your nearest discount store.  Then,
hand-file (or grind with a bench grinder or hand-held motor tool) the
blade end down to the two "pins" you need.

i.e. grind this:                             to this:

      +------------+                             +-+    +-+
      |            |                             | |    | |
      |            |                           +-+ +----+ +-+
      |            |                           |            |
      |            |                           |            |
      |            |                           |            |
      |            |                           |            |
      |            |                           |            |

Unless the pins need to be *really* tiny, this chop-job should last at
least until you can find the real thing.

Another trick is to take a paper clip and twist it around so the ends
are usable as the pins; then hold the rest of the clip in a pair of
pliers as close as possible to the "pin" ends so the clip-/pin-ends
can't twist or flex.

Cheers,

Rich

tasman@cs.wisc.edu (04/12/91)

> Does anyone have ANY idea where to get those strange screwdrivers
> that fit screws with two holes in them?

     Page 92 of the 1991 Techni-Tool catalog ("Catalog 40") lists the
following item:

	Spanner Security Set (set of 5)
	No. 324SC264	$8.95

     These are screwdriver bits, rather than screwdrivers.  The same
page of the catalog lists several other "security" bit sets: tamper
proof torx, security hex key, and tri-wing.

     Techni-Tool's order line is 215-941-2400; 24 Hour Fax at 215-828-5623.

schuster@cmcl2.nyu.edu> (04/12/91)

In article <telecom11.281.4@eecs.nwu.edu> leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Leryo
Malbito) writes:

> A totally unrelated topic: Does anyone have ANY idea where to get
> those strange screwdrivers that fit screws with two holes in them?  I
> assume the screwdriver looks like some sort of fork with two prongs in
> it.  Does anyone know if they sell these screwdrivers to the general
> public?

They're called "spanner" screws, and Jensen Tools (602-968-6231) has a
four-bit hex insert set for $6.95.

Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:
The Portal (R) System:  schuster@cup.portal.com    |           MSCHUSTER

allyn@uunet.uu.net> (04/21/91)

Try Boeing Surplus in Kent, Washington. They are the surplus outlet for
the Boeing Company and you find all kinds of incredibly wierd tools there.

carroll@cs.washington.edu> (04/23/91)

In article <telecom11.296.14@eecs.nwu.edu> bcstec!sleepy!allyn@uunet.
uu.net (Mark Allyn) writes:

> Try Boeing Surplus in Kent, Washington. They are the surplus outlet for
> the Boeing Company and you find all kinds of incredibly wierd tools there.

	Yes, and most of them are broken. The usable stuff usually
gets skimmed off before it ever hits the floor of the surplus store,
diverted to area residents with contacts in the Boeing surplus
department, or sold in bulk to quantity buyers.

	Case in point is the local cult of "I want a VAX in my
basement" types, who are well connected to Boeing Surplus about the
impending arrival of any DEC product.

	Last time I was there, though, there was a WHOLE BASKET of
Anderson-Jacobson 300 baud acoustically-coupled modems going for $10
each :^).

	Sometimes you can find servicable used office furniture there,
but IMHO it is definitely a hit/miss proposition.

Jeff Carroll   carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com