[comp.dcom.telecom] 'Dumb' PBX Wanted

Larry Rachman <74066.2004@compuserve.com> (04/22/91)

Does anyone out there know of a 'dumb' pbx product. By that I mean a
box that would connect between a group of stations and a group of
trunks, and switch calls between them, but not under its own control.
Control information would come via a serial (or similar) port; eg. the
PBX and control device would communicate with messages like:

PBX> 'Line 5 is ringing'
CTRL> 'Connect Line 5 to station 7'
PBX> 'Station 3 dialed 9'
CTRL> 'Connect station 3 to trunk 12'

I have heard rumors of 'open architectures' for PBXs, but my limited
research indicates that they are only rumors. Also, cost *is* a
consideration, so the latest UltraTech ZX-10,000 is probably not what
I'm after.

Size of the system would initially be about eight each trunks and
stations, but would grow to about twice that.

One of those 'make your PC into a PBX' products that seemed to be all
the rage a few years ago might be just the ticket, if it came with the
right driver software, or docs, but I haven't heard much about these
products lately? Any pointers, or other comments.

Larry Rachman, WA2BUX      74066,2004@compuserve.com

Vance Shipley <vances@xenitec.on.ca> (04/24/91)

In article <telecom11.299.3@eecs.nwu.edu> 74066.2004@compuserve.com
(Larry Rachman) writes:

> Does anyone out there know of a 'dumb' pbx product. By that I mean a
> box that would connect between a group of stations and a group of
> trunks, and switch calls between them, but not under its own control.

Redcom makes a product that does exactly that.  It is called the MPX.

Vance Shipley  vances@ltg   ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!ltg!vances

Vance Shipley <vances@xenitec.on.ca> (04/25/91)

(Larry Rachman) writes:

> Does anyone out there know of a 'dumb' pbx product. By that I mean a
> box that would connect between a group of stations and a group of
> trunks, and switch calls between them, but not under its own control.

Redcom makes a product that matches your description.  It is called
the "MSP" (Modular Switching Peripheral).

	Redcom Laboratories Inc.
	One Redcom Center
	Victor, New York 14564-0995
	(716)924-7550