Andrew Hastings		abh@cs.cmu.edu		    412/268-8734]

   From: Mary L. Pretz-Lawson,
   Telecommunications

Telecommunications recently installed US Sprint as Carnegie Mellon's
main long distance carrier on all of our administrative lines.
(Student lines still use AT&T.)  Sprint is now our first choice,
lowest cost carrier for all of our outgoing domestic US traffic.

In addition, we are now part of a Sprint virtual private network (VPN)
of universities that includes Stanford, Yale, University of
Pennsylvania, Georgia Tech, and others.  A virtual network is a long
distance service provided through public switched facilities, but
configured via software to resemble a private network.  Our university
VPN defines all of the participating institutions as a single
"corporate" network.

The result is very competitive long distance rates by capitalizing on
the large volume of inter-university calling.  Accordingly, we
decreased the university long distance rates by about 15 percent
effective February 1.  Business day rates are now $.20 per minute and
non-business day rates decreased to $.14 per minute for interstate
calling.

Benefits of the Sprint VPN go beyond our long distance voice telephone
calls.  Since Sprint's network is based on 100% digital, fiber optic
technology, it can handle voice, data, and video simultaneously.
Specifically, the VPN 56 feature can transmit data at 56 kilobits per
second and extend applications such as local area nework (LAN)
connectivity to participating universities.

If your department needs switched data service or private lines to
other educational institutions, you may be able to reduce your costs
by moving to this VPN service for data, too.  Contact
Telecommunications (extension XXXX, yyy@zzz) to find out if schools
you connect to for data are part of the VPN network.

The change to US Sprint should have been transparent to you.  However,
if you experience any difficulty with making long distance calls,
please notify the Carnegie Mellon operator by dialing "0."  Give the
operator the time the call was made, the calling and called numbers,
and the nature of the problem.  The sooner you provide this
information to use, the better able we are to trace the problem.

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (04/26/91)

In article <telecom11.304.4@eecs.nwu.edu> you write:

> The result is very competitive long distance rates by capitalizing on
> the large volume of inter-university calling. Business day rates
> are now $.20 per minute and non-business day rates decreased to $.14 per
> minute for interstate calling.

That's a strange rate.  I have regular old residential Sprint Plus
with a monthly call volume of about $100 and my interstate evening
rate is $0.112 per minute for coast-to-coast calls, less for shorter
distances.  Perhaps CMU is marking up Sprint's rates a teensy bit.
I'd expect VPN rates to be less than regular MTS, otherwise the VPN is
pointless.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl