[comp.dcom.telecom] Battery Discharger Needed

Peter Hayward <hayward@gargoyle.uchicago.edu> (04/24/91)

A good six months ago, there was a discussion in this group about a
device that would "burn the whiskers" off nicad battery packs, thus
defeating the dreaded nicad memory problem.  I archived that message,
but, now, when I find myself in need of such a device, I cannot locate
the message. Can anyone help?

Peter B. Hayward     University of Maine       WX9T

"S. H. Schwartz" <schwartz@nynexst.com> (04/25/91)

In article <telecom11.303.5@eecs.nwu.edu> hayward@gargoyle.uchicago.
edu (Peter Hayward) writes:

> A good six months ago, there was a discussion in this group about a
> device that would "burn the whiskers" off nicad battery packs, thus
> defeating the dreaded nicad memory problem.  I archived that message,

What does this device do that cannot be accomplished by running down
the battery in an ordinary flashlight, tape player, etc.?

S. H. Schwartz   schwartz@nynexst.com   Expert Systems Laboratory
914-683-2960  NYNEX Science and Technology Center  White Plains NY 10604

"Barton F. Bruce" <Barton.Bruce@camb.com> (04/26/91)

In article <telecom11.305.16@eecs.nwu.edu>, schwartz@nynexst.com (S.
H. Schwartz) writes:

>> device that would "burn the whiskers" off nicad battery packs, thus
>> defeating the dreaded nicad memory problem.  I archived that message,

> What does this device do that cannot be accomplished by running down
> the battery in an ordinary flashlight, tape player, etc.?

You can rapidly and automatically fully charge even a partially
discharged nicad with no danger of shallow discharge memory.

Using this charger, you 'repair' a nicad that has such memory.

You fast charge with no danger of cooking the battery.