[comp.dcom.telecom] Prodigy Questions

kityss@att.uucp> (04/23/91)

I am looking for information on Prodigy.  I am looking into it because
my parents just bought a PC and are looking for things to do with it.
They received a Prodigy start up kit (well, they bought the darn thing
at Sears) and are interested in it.  The first question I have
involves e-mail. Can Internet users send e-mail to Prodigy users and
vice-a-versa?  If yes, how is it done?

I also need some comparative analysis of Prodigy vs. Compuserve.  Do
the two offer similar services besides e-mail?  Of particular interest
to my Dad are the news service, the travel stuff, and weather.  I did
follow the discussions a while back about Prodigy "sensoring" e-mail
(a practice I despise) and was hoping to discover that Compuserve has
virtues to recommend it above Prodigy.

I would appreciate replies either by e-mail to kityss@ihlpf.att.com or
through posts to this group.

Pat -  I can not ftp the archives from this location.  If you could
send me the instructions on "alternative e-mail archive access" I could look
at back articles discussing Prodigy.  Thanks.

Arnette Baker   AT&T Network Systems   kityss@ihlpf.att.com

[Moderator's Note: I've sent you the bitftp help file. For others who
cannot use ftp at their site, if you wish information about the bitftp
method for accessing the archives, send me a note and I will send you
a copy of the help file.  When using the help file, substitute
'lcs.mit.edu'  and 'cd telecom-archives' in the appropriate places.  PAT]

Christopher Lott <cml@cs.umd.edu> (04/26/91)

In article <telecom11.303.4@eecs.nwu.edu> Arnette Baker writes:

> I am looking for information on Prodigy.
> Can Internet users send e-mail to Prodigy users and vice-a-versa?

To the best of my knowledge, no.  I believe that this IS possible for
Compuserve, due to the kindness of Ohio-State's CIS software staff.

>I also need some comparative analysis of Prodigy vs. Compuserve.  Do
>the two offer similar services besides e-mail?  Of particular interest

Sorry, can't do comparative analysis.  But here's a few thoughts on
Prodigy.  I was offered their free one-month subscription along with
free s/w, so I bit.  IMHO the best thing about the service is access
to SABRE, the airline reservations system from American Airlines.  You
can check flights, availability, fares, and place reservations.  Then
you contact a travel agent to charge the ticket.  Prodigy has some
travel agent support online, but I don't know how good it is.

In terms of privacy, it's somewhat invasive WRT credit cards.  The
SABRE system won't let you in until you supply a credit card number,
but it doesn't do much validation; I've heard a bogus number works
great.  Lots of other offers want you to type in your credit card
number; I never did.

Just in case you didn't know this, the reason Prodigy is so cheap is
that they show an advertisement on nearly every screen.  And during a
lengthy screen repaint, they very carefully draw the ad first and let
you stare at it while the rest of the screen is being redrawn.

To date, I have received no junk mail resulting from Prodigy selling
their lists.  I made sure by deliberately entering my address with a
small mistake, and no junk mail has shown up with THAT as the address.
However, it was fun requesting freebies, product info, etc. from the
advertisers.  Got a swell miata poster and some other goodies; nothing
really great though.

The stock market quote service (and "portfolio tracker") are nice, if
you want to follow your securities closely.  There's an endless amount
of stuff to burn time with.  Games, forums, newsy stories, etc.  I
have Usenet for that already ;-)

Forget about using a 1200 baud modem with Prodigy, unless you're VERY
patient.  Between modem slowness and system delays, it's SLOW with a
1200.

Never used email on it; you get a certain number of messages free each
month, and then each one costs you $.25 past that free number.  Don't
know about their privacy policy, but I wouldn't count on ANYTHING.

That's all I can think of right now.  If I get another free month
somehow, I'll sign up again.  But *I* sure wouldn't pay for it.  Not
when I have free access to Usenet!

Christopher Lott \/ Dept of Comp Sci, Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
  cml@cs.umd.edu /\ 4122 AV Williams Bldg  301 405-2721 <standard disclaimers>

[Moderator's Teaser:  If its *privacy* you want, the latest word is
Prodigy violates your privacy regularly. In the next issue of the
Digest, I'll be printing (what I feel is) a *very explosive* report I
received recently from a regular user of that service.  Apparently
they have no hesitation or compuction against raping your hard drive
in the process of getting you established on line.    PAT]

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (04/28/91)

     In article (Digest v11, iss303), Arnette P. Baker <ihlpf!kityss@
att.uucp> asks:

> I am looking for information on Prodigy.  I am looking into it because
> my parents just bought a PC and are looking for things to do with it
> ...question I have involves e-mail.

     Prodigy's interpretaion of what constitutes "mail," particularly
e-mail, has been a particular point of discussion.  It seems that from
the perspective of a lot of the public, Prodigy wants to have its cake
and eat it too, in that they CHARGE you for its delivery, and then
CENSOR anything they don't like.

     Even the Postal Service doesn't look inside your envelope when
you mail something, even though that may be something objectionable.
We can. of course, understand an electronic bulletin board's System
Operator reserving the right to delete items not in keeping with the
Sysop's policies.

     But Prodigy seems to be trying to go a step further, charging you
for more than a minimal amount of transmission, and heavily censoring
what it transports.  This might sound incredible, but the press report
I saw at the peak of public outrage concerned Prodigy censoring a
message in which a coin collector was asking about "Roosevelt dimes."
When he asked the Prodigy staff why they deleted his mail, the
unbelievably stupid retort was that "pro{oting personalities is
prohibited."  When he pressed about what "personality promotion" was
involved with Roosevelt dimes, the more unbelievably stupid reason
was, "Why, Roosevelt Dimes, the Chicago Bears football player, of
course!"  I have NOT made this story up.  I wish I could recall the
publication source to prove it.

     Incidents like this have caused suficient public outcry that
Prodigy is under investigation, as summed up in the following snippet
from <Information WEEK>, 4/22/91:

                      "FAR FROM A PRODIGY"

     (Network World, April 15, p.4) Prodigy Services Co. is being
investigated for possible criminal or civil violations stemming from
its electronic-mail pricing and bulletin board editing policies.
Users are complaining about the on-line service's recently
established 25-cent price tag for every E-mail message after the first
30 allowed per month; they claim that Prodigy's policy pf deleting or
editing controversial or obscene' (since when are Roosevelt dimes
either controversial OR obscene?) "messages from bulletin boards
violates the First Amendment.  (DA Probes BBS Practices at Prodigy, by
Barton Crockett)."

     My own opinion is that your parents would be best off to assert
one of our few remaining rights, to just take that Prodigy kit and
return it to Sears before they cancel the famous Sears money-bakc
guarantee.  There are plenty of other places to have both bbs
recreation and to use "electronic mail" provided by responsible
parties.  Even MCIMail has a deal where your e-mail (of moderate
length) costs only 25 cents per message, while it reaches a far wider
range, including real business.

     And, oh. Compu$erve's "e-mail" to the outside world is really a
port to MCIMail, so why not just open an MCIMail account and buy it
direct, and cheaper?

     All you need to do to help is to get an easy-to-use comms program
for their Sears-bought PS/1 (I recommend BOYAN as a very easy program
for beginners to use, especially if you install it and enter the
dialing directory numbers for them) and introduce them to the world of
REAL bbs-ing. In fact, if you get onto a commercial e-mail service and
request it of our Moderator, he can get the Digest delivered to DOS,
MAC or what-have-you there daily!

[Moderator's Note: This is correct. TELECOM Digest can be (and is!)
delivered to almost every commercial email service in the world.
Copies go to MCI Mail, ATT Mail, Telemail/Sprint Mail, Compuserve,
Portal, and many others including the Telebox Mail system in Germany.
All you have to do is provide me with a working path to get there.  PAT]