[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint Raises 800 Monthly Fee

Steve Elias <eli@cisco.com> (04/24/91)

US Sprint has raised their monthly charge for 800 numbers to $15 from
$10.

eli

"Eddy J. Gurney" <eddy@jafus.mi.org> (04/25/91)

In article <telecom11.304.3@eecs.nwu.edu> eli@cisco.com (Steve Elias)
writes:

> US Sprint has raised their monthly charge for 800 numbers to $15 from
> $10.

Well, I found this out "the hard way" when I got my most recent bill
from them.  I had not received _any_ information that this was going
to happen, and I immediately called them to complain.  They were very
nice about it, and said they would credit my next bill with $15.  (Why
it wasn't just $5 I have no idea, and whether they really will credit
it $15 is yet to be seen.)  I did have to talk to a supervisor to get
the credit.

Anyway, the $15 has suddenly made 800 service through Sprint less then
desirable.  The previous $10/month charge was barely acceptable, but
this definitely puts it over the edge.  So now I'm once again looking
for a LDC to take my 800 service.  (I know this was discussed in the
Digest a few months ago, which is where I found out about Sprint, but
there weren't too many other LDCs mentioned.)

So ... any other suggestions as to which LDCs offer personal 800
service at reasonable rates?  (Note that MCI is totally out of the
question, as they require a "Personal Security Code" and assign a
"shared" 800 number.)

The bad part is I really like my 800 number through Sprint - it ends
in EDDY!

Eddy J. Gurney  N8FPW --- eddy@jafus.mi.org --- The Eccentricity Group

[Moderator's Note: You might ask if Telecom*USA is still offering
their 800 service at $2.75 per month plus the cost of the calls.
Although MCI has taken them over, the services Telecom*USA always
offered before seen to still be available. I still have my three 800
numbers from them. (I had two, but I added their 800 voicemail.)  PAT]

Steve Elias <eli@cisco.com> (04/28/91)

> From: eddy@jafus.mi.org (Eddy J. Gurney)

>  eli@cisco.com (Steve Elias) writes:

> > ...charge for 800 numbers to $15 from $10.

> I had not received _any_ information that this was going
> to happen, and I immediately called them to complain.

Same here.  I guess I should have yelled at them more loudly:

> They were very
> nice about it, and said they would credit my next bill with $15.

Wow!  You must have chewed them out good, huh?

> Anyway, the $15 has suddenly made 800 service through Sprint less then
> desirable.

Yeah, but they just paid you three months worth of the extra $5 !!
You may as well hang with them for a few more months, now.  In fact,
you could probably yell at them every other month and get more credits
out of them -- they're soooooo apologetic and eager to give out
credits sometimes!

>  The previous $10/month charge was barely acceptable, but
> this definitely puts it over the edge.

It looks that way to me, too.  The only saving graces of Sprint's
service is the six second billing increments (and the awesome call
volume and clarity).  Does anyone know of other 800 services which
offer six second billing?

> [Moderator's Note: You might ask if Telecom*USA is still offering
> their 800 service at $2.75 per month plus the cost of the calls.

Six second billing?

eli

[Moderator's Note: No, one minute billing, but the difference between
the $2.75 per month and Sprint's $15 per month for a low volume user
would require quite a few calls rounded to the next six seconds to
make up the difference.    PAT]