[comp.dcom.telecom] North Georgia to Get NPA 706

bill@gauss.eedsp.gatech.edu (04/24/91)

I heard on the radio during lunch that Northern Georgia is to get
NPA 706 in (May?) 1992.  Metropolitan Atlanta is to remain in NPA
404.

Bill Berbenich   Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill   Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu

Arnold Robbins <arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu> (04/26/91)

In article <telecom11.304.2@eecs.nwu.edu> bill@eedsp.gatech.edu writes:

> I heard on the radio during lunch that Northern Georgia is to get
> NPA 706 in (May?) 1992.  Metropolitan Atlanta is to remain in NPA
> 404.

Yep.  Front page news in this morning's paper.  Basically, the current
metropolitan Atlanta dialing area will *be* 404, everything else will
be 706.  The article was pretty nice, it explained how the country was
running out of area codes and that Southern Bell "had to fight" to get
one assigned to it.

Also some speculation as to what will happen when the area codes are
exhausted, e.g. making local phone numbers 8 digits instead of 7 or
always requiring 1+ten digits, even for local calls.

In any case, speculation about area codes here can now be laid to
rest.  It's official.

Arnold  Robbins		                 AudioFAX, Inc.
Powers Ferry Road, #200             Marietta, GA. 30067
INTERNET: arnold@audiofax.com    Phone: +1 404 618 4281
UUCP:   emory!audfax!arnold    Fax-box: +1 404 618 4581

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (04/29/91)

Commenting on the newspaper speculation on running out of area codes,
I will restate/summarize what has been said in this Digest before:
Area codes of the N0X/N1X form are running out, and area codes will
then have to generalize to NXX, with the first slew of NNX area codes
being of form NN0 (and Mexico then will be getting pseudo-area-codes
of 52x form, x not necessarily 0).  This will force dialing to change
in many areas:

Local calls within your own area code should remain 7D (the exceptions
I know about are soon to be discontinued if not already:

   Use of 1+703+7D for extended area calls from "Northern Va."
   to "Prince William".

   Use of 1+7D (at least this was available in 1970s) if you
   are in 215 just outside Phila. metro, have metro-wide
   service, and are calling points not already included in
   next lower level of local service; if this metro service
   has remained available, the leading 1 is being removed,
   just like for long distance within 215.

For local calls to other area codes, check locally for use of 7D or
NPA + 7D or 1 + NPA + 7D.  Long distance within your own area code
should be 7D or 1 + NPA + 7D, with 1 + 7D having to be discontinued.
Long distance to other area codes should be 1 + NPA + 7D, with NPA +
7D having to be discontinued.