[comp.dcom.telecom] OKI 900 Handheld Cellular Review

mkl@nw.com (Mark Lottor) (04/29/91)

I recently purchased an OKI 900 handheld cellular phone and this is a
review of the OKI, along with my comments on the phones I didn't get.

I decided to get a handheld phone, and decided I should get a fairly
small one for most convenient use.  The choice was between the
Motorola Micro-Tac, the Fujistu Commander, the Mistubishi 3000/99x,
the NEC P-300, and the OKI 900.

The NEC P-300 is the largest of the phones and also the heaviest
(14oz).  It has some neat features like escalating ringing tones.
However, it also feels like a square block of wood, and the case felt
sort of cheap and not too sturdy.  Because of its size and weight I
didn't consider it for very long.

The Fujitsu Pocket Commander is a pretty neat phone.  However, it
comes standard with the extra-talk-time battery instead of the slim
battery.  This makes it heavier than advertisements lead you to
believe (11.9oz instead of 10.2), and makes the phone fairly thick and
bulky.  If you buy the slim battery to get the small size advantage
then your talk time goes down to 45 minutes or only seven hours
standby.  This means that if you talk for five or ten minutes early
on, your battery will die out around five hours of use.

Besides these problems however, are two missing features.  You don't
get continuous touch tones from the keypad (only one of two length
settings).  There is also no got-a-call-in-absense indicator.  I
needed this so I would know if I missed a call that would then have
been transfered to voice-mail.  The display is only ten characters
wide, too small for displaying both a name and number.  Also the mouth
piece feels like it will break off if you happen to cough into it.  It
could be a nice phone if you used the slim battery and only turned it
on to make short outgoing calls.

The Mistubishi 99x and 3000 phones are probably the smallest of the
phones.  They come in at 10.4oz, making them pretty light too, but
thats with the standard short-life battery.  Standby time is nine
hours or 45 minutes talk.  Again, this translates into much less than
nine hours standby if you talk for ten minutes.  I needed a phone that
could standby for an eight-hour work day even after I had used it a
bit.  The high-capacity battery makes these times reasonable but adds
1.5 inches to the length of the phone making it as big as the NEC.
The physical design of the phone also makes it feel more like a
movie-prop or a kids toy than a real working phone.  The phone is
almost completely flat so it doesn't curve around your face, and the
mouthpiece doesn't get anywhere near your mouth.  The buttons are also
a bit small, even worse on the 3000.

The Motorola Micro-Tac / Flip-phone has been around a while now (Rumor
has it a new model called the Star-Lite will be out in six months).
Again, it comes standard with the thick-heavy battery, so it's short
and bulky.  It weighs in at 12.3oz.  Talk time runs around 75 minutes
and standby of 20 hours.  When it's flipped open the phone feels
pretty nice, although the mouth-piece feels like it might break off
easily.  Functionality and features are pretty limited compared to the
other phones.  The phone only has a seven-digit display, and LED at
that.  Reminds me of the first generation of digital watches and
calculators.  I kept thinking 'boy is this thing old'.  It's also
pricey.

Then comes the OKI 900.  It was announced in January of 1991.  Its
very slightly larger than the Mitsubishi (its 6.5x2.1x1 inches) and
comes standard with the slim battery.  It weighs in at 12.7 ounces and
so is slightly heavier, and has a talk time of 70 minutes or 12 hours
standby.  Optional thick battery only adds one ounce but ups this to
24 hours standby!  The earpiece and mouthpiece stick out a little, so
the phone curves around your face a bit and feels right.  The phone
also has a really nice solid quality feel to it.  The keyboard buttons
are big and feel great too, and the keyboard and display can be
backlit if you want.  The phone comes with two antennas, a short stub
(one inch) and a longer flexible one (six inches).  This is a slight
drawback, but in good coverage areas you can get away with the stub
antenna all the time.  The OKI was rated best recently in Mobile
Office magazine for electrical specifications, and some of this may be
due to the phone having a 'real' antenna compared to the little wire
that pops out of some of the other portables.  This phone has LOTS of
neat features, the more interesting described below.

The phone has a continuous signal strength meter (unlike the Fujitsu),
and a two-line eight-character display.  It's also the only phone that
can display upper and lowercase letters.  Volume controls and lots of
settings.  Keypad touch-tone volume, ear-piece volume, and ringing
volume (each in eight different settings) and four different ring
sounds.  Ringing and keypad can be muted too.  The phone also provides
side-tone so you can hear yourself talking in the earpiece (this is
useful with handhelds so you can get the microphone at the right
distance from your mouth).

Optional beeping when leaving or entering service areas and also for
one minute intervals when talking.  Last call time counter and
resettable total-time used counter.  Five NAMS.  200 memories that
hold eight characters and 32 digits each, searchable by partial name,
of which ten are speed dials and ten are secret. Also an additional 32
memories that hold 16 characters and 11 digits for storing roamer
access numbers.  A phone number FIFO memo scratchpad holds last five
numbers entered while talking, any of which can be saved in memory or
dialed.  Silent-keypad option for entering numbers into scratchpad
during conversation, and mouthpiece mute control.

Features are accessed thru three circular menus.  The main menu gets
you to often accessed features.  A sub-menu gets you to user
preference settings, and an administration menu (accessed with a
passsword) lets you select NAMs, program calling-card info, call
restriction modes (lots of them), and change your keyboard lock code.
An 'online' user manual can be cycled thru to remind you of how to
access various random functions.  There is also a battery strength
indicator bar-graph.

Neat features: The phone can be set in a pager mode, where it will
answer the phone and beep like a paging terminal.  Caller touch-tones
in phone number, and phone remembers last nine 'pages' for later
recall.  In this mode the phone can be set to turn off in five hours,
and can also be turned off remotely with a password by calling it up.
Ever neater: during conversation with someone, remote person can put
phone in DTMF-Receive mode to send you a phone number, and,
optionally, cause your phone to hangup the current call and
immediately dial the new number!  Great if you have a secretary.  OKI
is also supposed to be coming out with an RJ-11 jack adapter in a few
months for use with modems, faxes, answering machines, etc.

Getting into programming mode is also interesting.  It took me quite a
bit of hassling to get the 'secret' dealer password out of the place I
purchased the phone at.  However, things aren't that secure, as
apparently OKI has a master password to unlock any phone.  If you buy
a phone I suggest you make getting any special dealer passwords a
condition of your purchase.  A quick call to OKI had the programming
mode instructions faxed to me in a few minutes.  Entering this mode
displays the software version number and your ESN in hex.  In this
mode you can set up your NAMs and reset memories and air-time
counters.  You can also change your security code needed for the
"administration" user-menu.  In programming mode you can also
personalize what the display shows when the phone is idle.

BAY AREA CELLULAR SERVICE: I had to decide between the two evils of
Cellular One/PacTel and GTE.  Both rate plans are very similar.  I
made a spreadsheet of the two carriers and played around with
different amounts of calling time and voice-mail charges.  Total
bills never differed by more than about $10 dollars.  GTE could be
more expensive if you use voice-mail heavily (they charge air-time
rates for receiving and retreiving messages) or if you don't sign up
for their one-year contract.  I was told C-1 has a better system for
portables than GTE.

In the end I picked C-1 thru PacTel.  The PacTel service rep had me
sign a form saying I received a sticker that says conversations on
cellular phones are not private; however, I got no such sticker,
apparently in violation of California law.  The GTE people gave me
such a sticker even though I didn't take their service.  Calls have
some occasional slight noise, and occasional bursts of static and
hiss; certainly nowhere near the "you'll hardly know the difference
between a cellular call and a land-line call" claims from PacTel and
other carriers.  Coverage in mountain and coastal areas is practically
zero, and hopefully they will add to those areas soon, so I can go out
to the beach with a laptop PC and OKI's RJ-11 option!

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (04/29/91)

Mark Lottor <mkl@nw.com> writes:

> BAY AREA CELLULAR SERVICE: I had to decide between the two evils of
> Cellular One/PacTel and GTE.

As a user of both systems, I could have told you precisely what the
differences were.

> In the end I picked C-1 thru PacTel.
> [...]
> Coverage in mountain and coastal areas is practically
> zero, and hopefully they will add to those areas soon, so I can go out
> to the beach with a laptop PC and OKI's RJ-11 option!

GTE has perfectly acceptable coverage in the mountain and coastal
areas. In fact, it has superior coverage overall, which is, I assume
important to most cellular users. Cellular One has a MUCH more
aggressive sales presence than GTE Mobilnet, but it is trading on the
ghosts of times long past. GTE was the first system in the Bay Area
and the "service" was attrocious. It was as bad as PacTel is now in
Los Angeles. Coverage was terrible, calls frequently dropped, audio
levels varied all over the map, plus a host of other problems. People
could not wait for the "A" system to come on line.

When Cellular One (PacTel/McCaw) opened for business, GTE Mobilnet
customers lined up at the door. I was one of them. And it was a
refreshing improvement. In the meantime, however, GTE was building and
improving. It outstripped Cellular One in number of cell sites and
developed one of the country's finest in-house RF engineering
departments. Motorola was given a swift kick in the butt and told to
fix the bugs in the EMX "or else".

The result has been that GTE is clearly the technically superior
system in the Bay Area. It has a wider coverage area and serves that
area better than the competition. Since I have had at least one
cellular account since it was available, it was no heartache to sign
up for the "yearly" commitment (and get the cheaper rates).

But Cellular One still has the attitude that is was entitled to in
1986. And times have changed. Since I use my phones heavily in the
mountain areas, I would not dream of having Cellular One for my
personal accounts. I am also not at all impressed with the "A" carrier
roaming agreements, which seem to be more flaky.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !