[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID is a Fraud

herrickd> (04/29/91)

In article <telecom11.296.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.
ab.com writes:

> [Moderator's Note: There are all these 'scenarios' people come up with
> -- red herrings, really -- as excuses for not having Caller ID.  From
> your example above, I take it you would rather force the people to
> answer the phone every time it rings -- being unable to tell in advance
> who is calling -- rather than sit down with the people as one parent
> speaking with another to discuss and correct the misbehavior of your
> children.   PAT]

The threads are confused here, I'll start a new heading.

Pat's comment refers to my scenario in which the person in a household
who gets the most calls from my telephone does not want to talk with
the member of my household who makes those calls, and so I, the
telephone subscriber cannot get through to the telephone subscriber in
that household on the rare occasion that I want to.

I find most of the rantings here about wanting Caller ID (sic) in
order to ignore unexpected incoming calls to be quite childish, so I
set the scenario in a childish context.

The point I was trying to make is that "Caller ID" is a lie.  The
product is "Calling Station ID".

Pat's comment contains the phrase "being unable to tell who is
calling".  If my number appears on a Caller ID (sic) readout, it
probably means that one of four or five (do I count my eldest who will
be returning for the summer in a few weeks?) people is calling.

However, there is a household around here where the reaction to my
number on a Caller ID (sic) readout would be, "Oh, my daughter is over
at Liz's and calling from there."  This would not prevent me from
getting through to them, but my voice would be a surprize.

Most of the applications of Caller ID (sic) depend on the false
assumption that knowing the number of the originating station enables
one "... to tell who is calling".  Most of scenarios Pat decries as
red herrings are intended to demonstrating the falsity of the
assumption.

The Lotus Equifax database offering was killed over much smaller
potential abuse.  I have tried to expose the absurdity of the
assumption with lighthearted examples, rather than demonstrate another
scenario allowing abuse, in this posting, and the previous.

dan herrick          herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com