[comp.dcom.telecom] Unauthorized Repair Charges

Tim Irvin <irvin@northstar.dartmouth.edu> (04/26/91)

I got in a (shall be say) spirited discussion with a NET Customer
Service Rep about a Repair Charge that was on my bill this month.
With out boring y'all with the gory details of my problem.  The jist
of the conversation centered around this rep trying to scare me into
subscribing to the Inside-Wire Maintanence plan.

She told me that, hypothetically, my neighbor could call my house, get
a busy signal, and think that my line is out-of-order, then proceeds
to call Repair.  If it turns out I was simply on the phone, and a
service man is dispatched that I would be charged for this (as far as
I am concerned) unauthorized, and unrequested service call -- unless
(of course) I subscribe to their Inside-wire Plan.

Could this be right, (or legal)?  I let her know what I thought of
that, but she persisted.

After I got her off this hypothetical situation, I finally convinced
her to remove the charge I had called about (had nothing to do with
neighbors -- just poorly trained Repair Service Reps), but only after
threatening me with a PERMANENT black mark on my records indicating
that no further Repair Service charges would ever be taken off my
account, no matter what the reason.

So, I guess I shouldn't tell any of you my phone number eh??  :)
Anybody could now place a couple dozen repair calls in on my phone,
and I have to declare bankrupcy.

Well, in my rage at the end of this call, I shot a letter off to the
NH PUC, and NET with my complaints.  Who knows, I maybe even be
ignored.... :)

Tim Irvin

"Barton F. Bruce" <Barton.Bruce@camb.com> (04/30/91)

In article <telecom11.308.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, irvin@northstar.dartmouth.
edu (Tim Irvin) writes:

> I got in a (shall be say) spirited discussion with a NET Customer
> Service Rep about a Repair Charge that was on my bill this month.

There has long been the threat of a 'maintenence of service charge'
for problems that THEY think are your fault. I have always tried to
make sure there was a trapdoor by describing a problem as intermittant
(unless it was as gross as an open pair). That way if their repair man
finds nothing, well maybe he just missed it.

Recently I was placing a repair call, and was told there was NO WAY a
'maintenance of service' charge could be levied now UNLESS they came
into my house and FOUND it was in my wiring. (I don't know if this is
absolutely true).

Now that there is the new FCC DEMARC law of 'outside or within 12
inches inside' and ANY reasonable interconnection is 'ok' (need NOT be
their demark jack, in fact need not be a jack at all), I will NEVER
let them in - EVER. No need to risk needless charges.

You were in NH. This is in MA, and who knows what NYNEX has been able
to pull in NH, but that is FCC. If you feel ripped off, DO CALL their
'Executive Appeals' phone number. It gets answered: "Office of the
President". You generally will be getting a call back from some
manager directly in line above your problem within a VERY short time
(hours if not minutes).

If someone of them is threatening you with black marks on your service
record that you KNOW are unfair, just stand your ground firmly but
politely. It probably will do you no harm to mention that the next
call will be to 'Executive Appeals' and if you get some wise azz that
basically DARES you to do it, DO IT - they probably should not be a
service rep and if enough people complain they won't be.

You simply call the main number - 617-743-9800 - and ask for
'Executive Appeals'. If LD, try collect.

Do your own testing to be SURE its broken at the 'DEMARK' with all
your inside wiring disconnected, and THEN call repair and TELL THEM
the trouble shows at the DEMARK with all inside wiring removed. DON'T
pay them monthly for this trivial service.

Most of their service reps are really nice and helpful, and if it is
clear that you know what you are doing you generally will have no
problems. Just be a little patient. The rep may have just finished
with some MEGA-PAIN grade customer.