[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T and 10xxx vs 800

Bill Huttig <wah@zach.fit.edu> (04/27/91)

I received some info on AT&T's USADirect Service and it notes an 800
number (800 872-2881) for calls from Bermuda, Dom. Rep. etc.. (I think
this for all the countries in the 809 area code).  When the number is
dialed from my home (407-676 Melbourne, FL) I receive the following
recording:

"The 800 number you have diailed is not yet in service ... Please
try this number at a later date."

Does this mean that AT&T will offer access to their network via 800
number in the future?

[Moderator's Note: I think what it means is that someone at the local
telco serving 407-676 misprogrammed the response code which is played
when the number is dialed. I think they meant to say merely, 'the
number is not in service from your area ...'       PAT]

Phillip Wherry <psw@richard.mitre.org> (04/28/91)

In article <telecom11.310.9@eecs.nwu.edu> Bill Huttig <wah@zach.fit.
edu> writes:

> "The 800 number you have dialed is not yet in service ... Please
> try this number at a later date."

> [Moderator's Note: I think what it means is that someone at the local
> telco serving 407-676 misprogrammed the response code which is played
> when the number is dialed. I think they meant to say merely, 'the
> number is not in service from your area ...'       PAT]

I just tried dialing this number from 804-220 and 804-229. Same message.

Phillip Wherry   The MITRE Corporation, McLean, VA   psw@mitre.org

[Moderator's Note: I should have tried it also, I guess ... having
done so I also get the same message.   PAT]

"Barton F. Bruce" <Barton.Bruce@camb.com> (04/30/91)

In article <telecom11.310.9@eecs.nwu.edu>, wah@zach.fit.edu (Bill
Huttig) writes:

> I received some info on AT&T's USADirect Service and it notes an 800
> number (800 872-2881) for calls from Bermuda, Dom. Rep. etc.. (I think

> "The 800 number you have diailed is not yet in service ... Please
> try this number at a later date."

I got the same from 617, and it sounded as though the intercept was
FAR away.

Did the original ad offer letters for those numbers? Obviously 288 =
ATT, and the 872 could be USA. All together it would be 1-800-usa-att-1.
Just a guess. Otherwise it is a bummer to remember.

Javier Henderson - TMS Group <henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com> (04/30/91)

Huttig) writes:

> "The 800 number you have dialed is not yet in service ... Please
> try this number at a later date."

> [Moderator's Note: I think what it means is that someone at the local
> telco serving 407-676 misprogrammed the response code which is played
> when the number is dialed. I think they meant to say merely, 'the
> number is not in service from your area ...'       PAT]

I just tried the 800 number listed in the original message from my
phone in Los Angeles and got the same response "to try it at a later
date."

So the original question as to whether AT&T would offer their network
from an 800 number is still valid?

Javier Henderson   Engineering Services  Avnet Computer  Los Angeles, CA
henderson@hamavnet.com  {simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson

Bill Huttig <wah@zach.fit.edu> (05/01/91)

In article <telecom11.318.10@eecs.nwu.edu> Barton.Bruce@camb.com
(Barton F. Bruce) writes:

> Did the original ad offer letters for those numbers? Obviously 288 =
> ATT, and the 872 could be USA. All together it would be 1-800-usa-att-1.
> Just a guess. Otherwise it is a bummer to remember.

No, The original 'ad' is a wallet size card from the AT&T
International Department.  I knew that the 288 got you ATT but I
didn't think about the 872. I don't have trouble remembering numbers.
I just forget where they go to.

Bill