[comp.dcom.telecom] Comments on History of Telephone Apparatus Manufacturers

Michael Dorrian <0003493915@mcimail.com> (04/24/91)

Larry Lippman wonders about the status of COMDIAL, the old Stromberg
Carlson entity ....

Comdial is still alive and kicking in Charlottesville, VA., operating
under the same name.

As far as I know, Comdial remains the only US manufacturer of
telephones (local content - AT&T's phones are assembled in the US from
Asian manufactured components).  This offers quite a niche on sales to
the US government.

Their products are often used as key system behind PBX or Centrex.

I recollect that they won an anti-dumping suit (filed jointly with
AT&T) against the Asian manufacturers. Uncertain of current status.

Pacific Telecom (no - not PACBELL!) held a 45% interest at one point.
Comdial trades Over The Counter and were in pretty tight straits two
or three years ago.

Recent {Washington Post} Virginia 30 had them at $80M in sales with 1K
employees.

Michael Dorrian     The RTP Group Mid Atlantic    Voice: 703-243-6000

Herman R Silbiger <hsilbiger@attmail.att.com> (04/28/91)

In article <telecom11.302.1@eecs.nwu.edu>, 0003493915@mcimail.com
(Michael Dorrian) writes:

> Comdial is still alive and kicking in Charlottesville, VA., operating
> under the same name.

> As far as I know, Comdial remains the only US manufacturer of
> telephones (local content - AT&T's phones are assembled in the US from
> Asian manufactured components).  This offers quite a niche on sales to
> the US government.

> Their products are often used as key system behind PBX or Centrex.

Many hotel chains such as Hyatt use Comdial phones in the rooms.  They
have their own design.  What I like about them is that they provide an
easily accessibleRJ-11 port on the side of the set.  An arrow on the
faceplate points to the jack, and is marked "modem".

So much more convenient than having to move the bed to get to the wall
jack.

Herman Silbiger

Daniel A Margolis <dam@mtqua.att.com> (05/01/91)

0003493915@mcimail.com (Michael Dorrian) writes:

> As far as I know, Comdial remains the only US manufacturer of
> telephones (local content - AT&T's phones are assembled in the US from
> Asian manufactured components).  This offers quite a niche on sales to
> the US government.

Actually, AT&T does manufacture telephones in the USA.  I know for a
fact that the telephones used with MERLIN communications systems (also
with System 25 PBXs) are manufactured in the USA (not just assembled).
Many of the residential phones are manufactured overseas, however.

Dan Margolis