[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller*ID Specifications Needed

@comspec.uucp (David Berman) (04/06/91)

Northern Telecom has had their Maestro phones out a while, I think.
And I also believe that the Caller*ID transmissions from the phone
company are kind of standardized. I think.

Question: Does anyone reading know what is sent out? How the phone
number or alpha information is encoded on the ring cycle? Has it been
done in a reasonable way so that decoding is sensible? (etc) Addresses
the future?

Or: Does anyone know where such information is published for
reference?

Further: Will Toronto (416)'s Caller ID transmissions be compatible
with the ones in the United States, say, in AT&T territory? Or will
they be similar, but different, so that Maestro phones in Atlanta, GA,
won't work in Toronto, even though they have fixed the design flaw down
there?

(I have even more questions, but hope that I will be able to follow
the thread as others ask in response to your answers ...) [thanks]

Dave Berman
436 Perth Av #U-907   daveb@comspec.UUCP   Computer at work
Toronto Ontario       uunet!mnetor!becker!comspec!daveb
Canada M6P 3Y7        416-785-3668         Fax at work

Al L Varney <varney@ihlpf.att.com> (04/08/91)

In article <telecom11.269.8@eecs.nwu.edu> @comspec.uucp (David Berman)
writes:

> Northern Telecom has had their Maestro phones out a while, I think.
> And I also believe that the Caller*ID transmissions from the phone
> company are kind of standardized. I think.

   Depends on who/what you mean by the "phone company".  Bellcore
client companies have a standard.  Canada may have another.
Independents could have a third.  PBX vendors can do all kinds of
"secret" transmissions, etc.

> Question: Does anyone reading know what is sent out? How the phone
> number or alpha information is encoded on the ring cycle? Has it been
> done in a reasonable way so that decoding is sensible? (etc) Addresses
> the future?

   Yes.  Yes.  Yes, it's expansible.  It's in there.

> Or: Does anyone know where such information is published for
> reference?

   OK ... One more time, with feeling:

   The information is published FOR PROFIT by Bellcore, and is
periodically updated by them.

   The interface specification for the actual Customer Premises
interface for analog telephone lines is in:

   TR-TSY-000030, "SPCS Customer Premises Equipment Data Interface",
      Issue 1, November 1988 + Bulletin 1, April 1989 {may be at Issue 2
      by now.}

This is the electrical interface, at about the level of describing how
to build a 1200-baud modem with FSK signaling.

   The actual messages sent to the interface are in ASCII, detailed in
each speification that describes a particular feature using the
interface. Refer to:

   TR-TSY-000031, "CLASS(sm) Feature: Calling Number Delivery", Issue 2,
      June 1988, + Revision 1, January 1990

   TA-NWT-001188, "CLASS(sm) Calling Name Delivery and Related Features",
      Issue 1, March 1991 {Waiting for Industry Comments}

   These are two relevant documents, but there are no real limits
imposed by TR-30 on the usage of the interface.  Use of the interface
during Call Waiting is under study.  The requirements for ISDN
interfaces are documented in other TR's (many).

   Bellcore documents can be ordered by calling (201) 699-5800,
   (Mon.-Fri. 8 am to 6 pm)  Visa, Mastercard, American Express
      FAX orders:  (201) 699-0936
      Telex orders: (201) 275-2090

   Mail (with payment in U.S. funds, or credit card information):

        Bellcore
        Customer Service
        60 New England Avenue
        Piscataway, NJ  08854-4196

All this and more is available as SR-TSY-000264, "Catalog of Technical
Information" and updates/etc are detailed in the monthly periodical,
"Bellcore's Digest of Technical Information."

   Prices (in an old catalog):

     TR-TSY-000030,  $25 (includes Bulletin)
     TR-TSY-000031,  $23  Revision 1   $12   (may be included in new orders?)
     SR-TSY-000264,  No Price stated!

     Bellcore Digest  $60/year, includes the SR-TSY-000264 yearly catalog!
       (Prices do not include sales tax, Canadian/Mexican or Foreign
        surcharges, multi-year discounts, etc.)

> Further: Will Toronto (416)'s Caller ID transmissions be compatible
> with the ones in the United States, say, in AT&T territory? Or will
> they be similar, but different, so that Maestro phones in Atlanta, GA,
> won't work in Toronto, even though they have fixed the design flaw down
> there?

    Who knows?  Depends on Canadian requirements.

> (I have even more questions, but hope that I will be able to follow
> the thread as others ask in response to your answers ...) [thanks]

    Well, ask away, but don't expect to be able to construct an
interface of understand the messages from the Net, any more than you
could construct a real telephone from information only from the Net.

Al Varney, AT&T Network Systems

elliott@uunet.uu.net> (04/11/91)

Berman) writes:

> And I also believe that the Caller*ID transmissions from the phone
> company are kind of standardized. I think.

> Question: Does anyone reading know what is sent out? How the phone
> number or alpha information is encoded on the ring cycle? Has it been
> done in a reasonable way so that decoding is sensible? (etc) Addresses
> the future?

> Or: Does anyone know where such information is published for
> reference?

I have in front of me two Bellcore specs that I *think* are appropriate.
They are:

CLASSsm Feature: Calling Number Delivery
Technical Reference
TR-TSY-000031
Issue 3, January 1990

(This describes the encoding, bit rate, etc.)

and

SPCS Customer Premises Equipment Data Interface
Technical Reference
TR-TSY-000030
Issue 1, November 1988

(This provides some protocol information.)

What I don't know is if this is really CALLER ID, or some other
variant scheme.  The protocol description is a bit too vague for me to
be able to figure out how one would encode or decode an actual phone
number.

Anyone have any additional or better information?  I would like to
know, also.

To contact Bellcore:

Information Exchange Management
Bellcore
445 South Street, Room 2J-125
P.O. Box 1910
Morristown, NJ 07692-1910
(201) 829-4785

Paul Elliott - DSC Optilink - {uunet,pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!elliott

kevinc@uunet.uu.net> (04/13/91)

On 6 Apr 91 08:22:08 EDT, David Berman (daveb@comspec.UUCP) writes:

[asking about how/when CallerID info is sent to the called party]

> Question: Does anyone reading know what is sent out? How the phone
> number or alpha information is encoded on the ring cycle? Has it been
> done in a reasonable way so that decoding is sensible? (etc) Addresses
> the future?

As far as the future is concerned, once the local telcos get around to
offering ISDN Basic Rate Interface (two data channels, one signalling
channel), the calling party number will be sent from telco to the
called number in the call origination message (called the SETUP
message).  Your (BRI-compatible) phone will have the information
*before* it rings, and could easily decide whether to tell telco to
proceed with the call or reject it at that time.

So, if your mother calls too often, just have your phone set to reject
call attempts from her number after 10 pm :-).

Kevin Collins                   |  Aspect Telecommunications
USENET: ...uunet!aspect!kevinc  |  San Jose, CA
Voice:  +1 408 441 2489         |  My opinions are mine alone.

Tony Harminc <TONY@mcgill1.bitnet> (04/30/91)

David Berman wrote:

> Question: Does anyone reading know what is sent out? How the phone
> number or alpha information is encoded on the ring cycle? Has it been
> done in a reasonable way so that decoding is sensible? (etc) Addresses
> the future?

> Or: Does anyone know where such information is published for
> reference?

This is rather old, but the only answer Dave received was flip, and
not very helpful.  So here again is the official place to get Bell
Canada's version of Call Display technical disclosure information:

Bell Canada
Director - Switched Network Services
220 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario  K1G 3J4
+1 613 781-3655

The document is "Call Management Service (CMS) Terminal-to-Network
Interface", Interface Disclosure ID - 0001, November 1989.  (The
document number may give you a clue as to how long this service has
been running :-))

I was not charged for this document, but Bell does reserve the right
to charge for it in future.  It is only 18 pages so it seems unlikely
they would charge a lot.  They are required to disclose this
information to anyone, so any charge would be administrative only -
i.e. they cannot sell the information.  Phone and find out.

Please note that it is incorrect to call this "the Canadian Caller*ID
standard".  This document describes only what is being implemented by
Bell Canada in its service areas.  Other Canadian telephone companies
may well implement something quite different, though it isn't too
likely.

Tony Harminc

"Michael H. Riddle" <riddle@hoss.unl.edu> (05/01/91)

In <telecom11.320.1@eecs.nwu.edu> TONY@mcgill1.bitnet (Tony Harminc)
writes:

> Bell Canada    Director - Switched Network Services
> 220 Laurier Avenue West    Ottawa, Ontario  K1G 3J4
> +1 613 781-3655

> The document is "Call Management Service (CMS) Terminal-to-Network
> Interface", Interface Disclosure ID - 0001, November 1989.

For US specs, a file in the archives (lcs.mit.edu, cd telecom-archives)
has the ordering information: caller-id-specs.bellcore.  I don't know
if this has any applicability to Canada or not.

            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska
ivgate!inns!postmaster@uunet.uu.net  |   College of Law
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org  |   Lincoln, Nebraska, USA