[comp.dcom.telecom] Georgia Relay Center Report

Nigel Allen <Nigel.Allen@f438.n250.z1.fidonet.org> (04/29/91)

I found the following message, which appears to be a press release
from the Georgia Relay Center, on the FidoNet ABLED echo.

The press release does not indicate who operates the relay center, so
I do not know whether Southern Bell or another telephone company is
running the service. (Perhaps it is being run under contract to the
telephone companies by an outside organization, such as one that
provides services to the deaf and hearing-impaired as well.)

Thanks to Tzipporah Benavraham of 1:278/632.0 for posting it
originally.

04/23 1213  GEORGIA RELAY CENTER REPORTS FEW PROBLEMS WITH NEW ...

NORCROSS, GA (APRIL 23) - The new Georgia Relay Center that enables
deaf, hearing-impaired and speech-impaired Georgians to hold telephone
conversations with people who can hear has handled more than 8,000
calls since its April 1 opening.

   While the vast majority of callers have successfully reached the
center, a few customers have encountered problems because they did not
include the digits "1-800" when dialing the center's toll-free 800
numbers.

   Deaf, hearing-impaired or speech-impaired customers using
Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf or "TDDs" reach the center by
dialing 1-800-255-0056.  Hearing callers using a regular telephone
call 1-800-255-0135.

   Regardless of where in the state callers are located, they must
dial the entire eleven digit toll-free TDD or hearing number to reach
the center.

   The Georgia Relay Center operates 24 hours a day, seven days a
week.  During a relay call, a communications assistant serves as a
link between a hearing caller and a caller using a TDD.  The assistant
speaks to the hearing caller and types the conversation to the TDD
user.

   The center only relays calls made between locations within the
state of Georgia.  Conversations relayed by the center are held in
strict confidence.

   All calls made using the center are billed at AT&T or local
telephone company rates, with a 25 percent discount applied to regular
long-distance prices.  There is no additional charge for the center's
relay service.

   The Georgia Relay Center was established by the Georgia Public
Service Commission.

   CONTACT: Dan Coulter, 404-810-7373 (office) or 404-995-3889 (after
hours), or Bill Blair, 404-810-7241 (office) or 404-664-3623 (after
hours).

"Peter L. Thomas" <pthomas@arecibo.aero.org> (05/01/91)

In article <telecom11.320.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, Nigel.Allen@f438.n250.z1.
fidonet.org (Nigel Allen) writes...

> The press release does not indicate who operates the relay center, so
> I do not know whether Southern Bell or another telephone company is
> running the service. (Perhaps it is being run under contract to the

This service is fairly new, and I know very little about aside from
the surcharge for it which appears on every Southern Bell customer's
bill.

This leads me to think that Southern Bell is at least subsidizing the
service, if it is not running it directly.

Pete

John R Hall <jhall@ihlpm.att.com> (05/01/91)

AT&T is the service provider for the Dual Party Relay in Georgia as is
the case in Alabama, California, Delaware, Illinois, Maine, Montana,
New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Arnold Robbins <arnold%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu> (05/01/91)

In article <telecom11.320.8@eecs.nwu.edu> Nigel.Allen@f438.n250.z1.
fidonet.org (Nigel Allen) writes:

> The press release does not indicate who operates the relay center, so
> I do not know whether Southern Bell or another telephone company is
> running the service.

Southern Bell runs it.  I posted an article here with a copy of the
announcement as it came in my phone bill a few months back.

>   The Georgia Relay Center was established by the Georgia Public
> Service Commission.

It is paid for by *all* Georgia customers of Southern Bell; there is a
monthly surcharge of several cents.  You'd have to check my original
article for the exact rate.

Arnold  Robbins	 AudioFAX, Inc.
Powers Ferry Road, Suite 200 / Marietta, GA. 30067
INTERNET: arnold@audiofax.com Phone: +1 404 618 4281
UUCP:	 emory!audfax!arnold Fax-box: +1 404 618 4581