[comp.dcom.telecom] Tele-Trivia: Why Cotton Balls in Handsets??

Dave Mc Mahan <mcmahan@netcom.com> (05/01/91)

I have been asked why standard desk top telephones have a cotton ball
stuffed into the handset.  Unscrewing the earpiece (not the microphone)
gives access to this little wonder.

Why is it there?

Dave McMahan   mcmahan@netcom.com  {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan

gd@cognos.uucp> (05/02/91)

mcmahan@netcom.com (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

> I have been asked why standard desk top telephones have a cotton ball
> stuffed into the handset.  Unscrewing the earpiece (not the microphone)
> gives access to this little wonder.

It's not that they put it there deliberately.  It just kinda forms
there.  You know.  Lint.  Ear lint.  :-)

Gord Deinstadt    gdeinstadt@geovision Gotta cut back on those Q-tips.

[Moderator's Note: There's nothing like a good laugh to start off an
issue of the Digest ... but later on in this issue a much more
detailed explanation of coton balls and hadset types is presented.  PAT]