[comp.dcom.telecom] New Area Code Won't Work From Hotel

"Robert M. Hamer" <HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu> (04/30/91)

I recently stayed in the Omni Newport News (in Newport News, VA) while
doing four days of cousulting there.  (It is a very nice hotel.  I
like Omnis.)

While there, I wanted to call my wife, who is currently staying in a
Residence Inn, outside of Princeton, NJ.  (Try selling a house in
Virginia, buying in New Jersey, all the while when both of us travel
on business, and her "home" since December has been a Residence Inn.)

That Residence Inn is in area code 908, recently split off from 201,
still reachable via permissive dialing through area code 201.

I dialed 908-xxx-xxxx, and got an ITT-Metromedia operator, who told me
that I couldn't dial that number from wherever I was (and he really
didn't know where I was, either.)  I tried it again, and got the same
result.  I called the hotel operator and front desk, who assured me
that I should just be able to dial the phone number and everything
should work automatically as it usually does in a hotel.  I tried it
again and got the same result.

At that point I thought, "Ah, ha!  Perhaps some table either in the
hotel's PBX doesn't know about area code 908, or some table at
ITT-Metromedia (who obviously handles the hotel's long distance)
doesn't know about 908, so I dialed the call as a201-xxx-xxxx.  Bingo.
It worked.

I wrote a letter to the manager, dropped it off at the front desk.  I
stayed there three more days, and never heard from the manager.  I
wonder if he/she tossed the letter in the wastebasket.

However, this is another instance where I feel sorry for the poor
everyday consumer who barely knows that there are multiple long
distance companies, has no idea that 10xxx codes are available, and
has no idea that area codes have been split, ever.  I doubt that it
would have occurred to me that the area code table might be wrong had
I not been some sort of telecom phreak.  Has anyone else had a similar
experience?

abh@pogo.camelot.cs.cmu.edu (Andrew Hastings) (05/02/91)

In article <telecom11.320.11@eecs.nwu.edu> HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu
(Robert M. Hamer) writes:

> I doubt that it
> would have occurred to me that the area code table might be wrong had
> I not been some sort of telecom phreak.  Has anyone else had a similar
> experience?

I stayed at Hyatt Rickys in Palo Alto about five years ago, shortly
after Stanford University's numbers moved from 497-xxxx to 723-xxxx.
I tried dialing a number at Stanford (a local call) from my hotel
room, and got an intercept from the hotel PBX claiming that the number
was invalid.  I dialed the hotel operator, explained what had
happened, and she put the call through after promising to update the
PBX database.

Andrew Hastings		abh@cs.cmu.edu		412/268-8734