[comp.dcom.telecom] 'Dumb PBX' Wanted

Daniel Zlatin <DANIEL@bnr.ca> (04/25/91)

My $0.02 on the issue of "open architecture" PBX's (but I work on the
following product, so could be accused of bias!):

Northern Telecom's Norstar system is definitely an open architecture
PBX.  All of the functions of the system are available to a PC through
an interface card (which connects to the KSU as though it were a set).
A software library for the PC, available from NT, enables one to write
applications similar to those that were mentioned in the original
posting.

(Of course, I wouldn't classify it as a "dumb" PBX.  It has a complete
set of built-in functionality; but it is easily enhanced with your own
private features.)

Daniel Zlatin   Norstar Development,
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Ont.
daniel@bnr.ca

Lou Kates <louk@tslwat.uucp> (04/27/91)

In article <telecom11.305.12@eecs.nwu.edu> DANIEL@bnr.ca (Daniel
Zlatin) writes:

> My $0.02 on the issue of "open architecture" PBX's (but I work on the

Does "open" mean that you can use the usual switchhook flash and DTMF
tones to command the PBX from extensions or does it mean there are
proprietary protocols which you have access to in some manner?

Does anyone have a list of "open architecture" PBX's? For other PBX's
are there vendor specific methods that would still let anyone control
them from a computer?

Lou Kates, Teleride Sage Ltd., louk%tslwat@watmath.waterloo.edu

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (04/29/91)

Zlatin) writes:

> Northern Telecom's Norstar system is definitely an open architecture
> PBX.  All of the functions of the system are available to a PC through
> an interface card (which connects to the KSU as though it were a set).
> A software library for the PC, available from NT, enables one to write
> applications similar to those that were mentioned in the original
> posting.

While I whole heartedly agree that the Norstar is definitely an "open
architecture" system (if you don't discount systems with licencing
fees and contracts as not open) it is certainly not a PBX.  I know
this may seem like picking gnats and many, many people on this
conference call these type of systems PBX's it is actually a Key
System.  It does not even have ground start trunk interfaces so it
cannot be called a PBX in the traditional sense.  It is however a
wonderful Key System with a wealth of possibilities using the "open
interface".  I'm waiting for a Unix version of the toolkit though :).

Vance Shipley   vances@ltg     ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!ltg!vances

"W.L. Lance" <wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu> (04/30/91)

Can anyone give the number for Northern Telecom?

Lance Ware			         Mac and IBM Reseller
Try here first:lance@spud.rit.edu |      Then here: wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu
Last Resort:wlw2286@ultb.UUCP------------Continually computing fractals . . .

Vance Shipley <vances@xenitec.on.ca> (05/02/91)

In article <telecom11.307.11@eecs.nwu.edu> Lou Kates <louk@tslwat.
uucp> writes:

> Does "open" mean that you can use the usual switchhook flash and DTMF
> tones to command the PBX from extensions or does it mean there are
> proprietary protocols which you have access to in some manner?

What is meant by "open architecture" is the ability to allow computers
to become involved in the processing of calls.  This is accomplished
over an interface between the computer and the PBX that has been given
the generic term "Request and Status Link" (RSL).  The computer sends
requests to the PBX such as "connect phone A to trunk B" and the PBX
sends status messages such as "trunk C is ringing set B".  In some
cases the PBX may make requests of the computer such as "which phone
can take a call now?".

> Does anyone have a list of "open architecture" PBX's? For other PBX's
> are there vendor specific methods that would still let anyone control
> them from a computer?

Some of the vendors I am aware of are:

	Northern Telecom
	AT&T
	Rolm
	NEC

There will be an ANSI Draft standard soon under the term SCAI (Switch
Computer Apllication Interface).

Vance Shipley	vances@ltg	..uunet!watmath!xenitec!ltg!vances