[comp.dcom.telecom] Restricting Telemarketers

Ronald Greenberg <rig@eng.umd.edu> (04/23/91)

I did a little more research on the question of restricting
telemarketers.

On the local end, there is a bill pending in the DC city council to
prohibit use of automated dialing machines for soliciting people
without a preexisting relationship.  (There may be some exceptions,
e.g., for charitable organizations; I think the bill is modeled on the
MD law.)  I was told by a staffer that the bill is expected to pass,
and I told them I would like to see it extended to calls by humans,
but I don't have any expectation of that happening soon.

Unfortunately, I think these state (or district) bills are limited to
intrastate calls.  I also talked to somebody at the Public Service
Commission for DC in the hope that they could do something, especially
in the case of the telephone company making telemarketing calls.  He
said that the corresponding commission in PA tried to stop the telco
from telemarketing, and the courts said they couldn't do it.  But he
couldn't tell me why.  I presume it's because it applied only to the
telco or because it was done by regulation instead of legislation,
since there is restrictive legislation in Florida (and CA?), and it's
being considered elsewhere.

I also learned from somebody at the FCC that there is proposed
legislation in the US Congress to put some kind of limitations on
telemarketing, but I haven't yet gotten details.  I was pointed to
Congressman Markey's office.  I think that's because he runs the
correct committee rather than because he proposed the legislation.
 From there I was pointed to somebody named John Kinney, who I believe
is a member of the committee staff.  I haven't yet managed to talk to
him to get details about the bill.  If and when I learn more, I'll
post.

Ron Greenberg	rig@eng.umd.edu

Steve Baumgarten <baumgart@esquire.dpw.com> (04/26/91)

In Telecom 11/301, Ron Greenberg (rig@eng.umd.edu) writes:

> On the local end, there is a bill pending in the DC city council to
> prohibit use of automated dialing machines for soliciting people
> without a preexisting relationship.  [...]

> Unfortunately, I think these state (or district) bills are limited to
> intrastate calls.  [...]

I wish we'd do something like this in New York City -- I get weekly
calls urging me to "Call 540-SCAM within 30 minutes to get yourself
ripped off!" (the 540 exchange is New York Telephone's local
equivalent of 1-900 numbers).

I rarely get automated calls from out of state, or even for 1-900
numbers.  So even though enacting local legislation wouldn't solve the
problem completely, it would be a welcome step in the right direction.

Steve Baumgarten    Davis Polk & Wardwell, New York, NY

emanuele@kb2ear.ampr.org> (04/28/91)

In article <telecom11.309.12@eecs.nwu.edu>, baumgart@esquire.dpw.com
(Steve Baumgarten) writes:

> I wish we'd do something like this in New York City -- I get weekly
> calls urging me to "Call 540-SCAM within 30 minutes to get yourself
> ripped off!" (the 540 exchange is New York Telephone's local
> equivalent of 1-900 numbers).

I once got PAGED to a 540 number when I worked in NYC. The call cost me
(actually the company I worked for (ATT)) $35.00. I called the number
and got a Phone Sex Message.

Mark A. Emanuele   V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.
218 Summit Ave   Fords, NJ 08863    (908) 738-8486
emanuele@overlf.UUCP

Ronald Greenberg <rig@eng.umd.edu> (05/02/91)

In article <telecom11.301.7@eecs.nwu.edu> I wrote:

> I also learned from somebody at the FCC that there is proposed
> legislation in the US Congress to put some kind of limitations on
> telemarketing, but I haven't yet gotten details.

I've gotten more information now.  The bill is HR1304 and Markey is
the original author; there are also a number of co-sponsors.  The bill
would establish a national list maintained by the FCC of people who do
not want to receive calls from telemarketers.  There would be no
charge to get on the list; it would be sold to businesses wishing to
do telemarketing.  There would be fines ("substantial penalties"
according to the staff person I talked to) for telemarketers calling
people who are on the list.  The law would apply to both interstate
and intrastate calls.  The advice given of how to support this bill is
to contact your congressional representatives.

Ron Greenberg		rig@eng.umd.edu