[comp.dcom.telecom] Making Comments to FCC

Ronald Greenberg <rig@eng.umd.edu> (05/02/91)

In article <telecom11.301.6@eecs.nwu.edu> I wrote:

> It would be nice if one could get copies of FCC proposals on-line.
> Also, I'm not really sure how members of the public are supposed to
> express their comments.  There is some information about making
> comments in the material they sent me, but it seems to involve some
> annoying bureaucratic requirements, and they use some legal terms I'm
> not familiar with.

I happened to run into somebody who works for the FCC, and he said
that you really can just send any comments about FCC proposed
regulations or things you would like them to regulate to any obvious
address.  So I guess that would be:

   Federal Communications Commission
   1919 M Street, NW
   Washington, DC  20554

Apparently, all the legalese about "ex parte presentations" and
"Sunshine Agenda" and requirements for sending copies are not really
things you have to worry about.  I think some of this is about
stopping people from making covert comments to individual decision
makers at the FCC.

With regard to the FCC's proposed regulations on 900 numbers that
started this discussion, it looks like they wanted comments by April
24 and reply comments by May 24, but I don't know if there is any real
significance to those dates.

Ron Greenberg		rig@eng.umd.edu