[comp.dcom.telecom] Non-Empty Disks

bill@uunet.uu.net> (05/03/91)

In article <telecom11.319.3@eecs.nwu.edu> hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
(Toby Nixon) writes:

> I've heard stories of "heads rolling" at software publishers when
> programmers used supposedly "empty" disks to produce the master disks
> that were bulk-duplicated, boxed, and sold.  The problem was, of
> course, that the disk wasn't clean, but that the old files had simply
> been "deleted" (and not erased) -- so anybody that did a little
> "garbage collecting" (it's fun; try it some time) got a good bit of
> the source code of the product!!

Sort of bit of trivia here on that comment.

Years ago I got one of the original Adventure Disk from Scot Adams.
He had just coverted these to disk basic (but before his compiled
versions).

Scott sold me a fresh copy and I took it home.

I discoved his adventure editor on the disk.  I told him about this
and that he ought to check his masters more carefully.

About a year later I got a call from Scott.  He had sold an article
and the rights to publish his Basic Adventure Editor to BYTE magazine,
and he found that he had NO copy of the orginal.  I had the only one
he knew about, although others who had the early disks (there were
only one and two at that time) probably had them on their disk.

So the final article, published around 1981 or so, happened only
because I got "nosy" and started probing my disk.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP