[comp.dcom.telecom] A Mystery Refund From MCI

Doctor Math <drmath@moocow.uucp> (04/24/91)

Something interesting happened to me today ... this month's phone bill
included a $10 credit from MCI! A quick check of my various phone
lines indicates that I'm still with my chosen long distance carrier
(which isn't MCI). I didn't call and ask about it (don't look a gift
horse in the mouth, etc.), but I suspect that MCI tried to slam me and
failed. This probably came about because about a month and a half ago,
I called four or five of the bigger long-distance carriers and asked
them to send me some thick, glossy documentation, which they did. My
guess is that MCI construed this to mean I wanted their service as
default, which I did not. Very strange.

Bill Woodcock <woody@ucscb.ucsc.edu> (05/05/91)

Patrick Wrote:

> I don't really think this is the case. There may be a class-action
> suit against MCI for slamming, but I have not heard of it. But in
> class actions I am familiar with, the settlement usually calls for
> injured parties to at least submit some sort of claim form with the
> court and evidence of what occurred.  Any other ideas?

I dunno.  I've always used AT&T, and they've called me with incentives
to switch to AT&T about once a month for the last year.  Their
databases must be fouled up somehow. I invariably tell them that I'm
already using AT&T (and I am; I've checked) and they invariably
apologize, and say that they'll remove my name from their list, and I
invariably recieve some of the little AT&T funnymoney credits in my
next phone bill.  I've got three lines at home, so it really adds up.
My LD service is almost paying for _itself_ now.  :-)

Bill Woodcock   BMUG NetAdmin
bill.woodcock.iv..woody@ucscb.ucsc.edu.
2355.virginia.st..berkeley.ca.94709.1315

locke@tree.uucp (Alan R. Gross (1-1-90)) (05/05/91)

In article <telecom11.324.10@eecs.nwu.edu> herbison@ultra.enet.dec.com
(B.J.  01-May-1991 1616) writes:

>> Something interesting happened to me today ... this month's phone bill
>> included a $10 credit from MCI! A quick check of my various phone
>> lines indicates that I'm still with my chosen long distance carrier
>> (which isn't MCI). I didn't call and ask about it (don't look a gift

> This must be part of some judgment against MCI for slamming.  In
> punishment for changing the long distance carrier for random telephone
> lines, someone is forcing them to give refunds to random telephone
> lines.

> [Moderator's Note: I don't really think this is the case. There may be
> a class-action suit against MCI for slamming, but I have not heard of
> it.

	I agree, even though it does look suspiciously like two pic
switch fees.  I haven't read anything on this either, but there are a
couple of things it could be. Most LD carriers have mass billing error
recovery programs in place that will automatically credit overcharges,
once they find that the bill system isn't billing as tariffed. In
these cases, you get the credit without an explanation, most of the
time. If the person who had the credit recieved collect calls through
MCI, or had MCI as a carrier in the past, this is a possibility. The
other thing it could be is a simple bill error where you got someone
else's credit -- possibly the LEC & MCI's bill software programs
aren't communicating well. It could also be an MCI promotion, that has
yet to be announced -- did you check the bill to make sure that the
overall amount of your bill was reduced? If not, it could be a "try
us" credit, which might sit there until used.

 Randall A. Gross    csusac.ecs.csus.edu!tree!locke
  @ the UNIX Tree BBS, Sacramento, CA  ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!tree!locke
 Sprintmail: A.R.Gross     DISCLAIMER: Ego loquito