[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Partner System: A Reasonable Choice?

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (05/05/91)

olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu writes:

> My question is whether I'm likely to do much better with other systems
> such as Panasonic, enough to make it worthwhile to hunt for someone
> willing to sell them to me.

While the price of the Partner system is certainly competitive (almost
as inexpensive as the Panasonic), it sounds as though one of your
major criteria would be better satisfied by the Panasonic. The
Panasonic allows full use of the features from any standard single
line phone.  This means access to all trunks, extensions, paging and
special stations such as doorphones. They can also forward,
participate in pickup groups, system speed dial, SMDR, etc., etc.

Some people from AT&T were going to tell me how wonderful the Partner
was and how fantastic the single line support was, but I never heard
back from them. No wonder; the single line support is hurting compared
to the Panasonic KSUs.

Panasonic equipment (now manufactured in Great Britain) is widely
available. Any major telephone supplier can sell it to you. Examples:

NTD			800 426-1024

Procom			800 PRO-COM1

The equipment can also be obtained from a Graybar Electric near you,
but be prepared to dicker on the price; Graybar has not yet learned
that its prices are way out of line.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !