[comp.dcom.telecom] ANI Caller ID Information Wanted

pbwhite@igc.org (05/04/91)

I am currently writing a paper on social aspects of Caller ID, or more
correctly Calling Number Display.

Can anyone tell me whether there was any public debate in the U.S when
the FCC authorized Automatic Number Identification for the long
distance carriers? If there wasn't any debate, how can we explain the
different response to Caller ID? Are there any good FCC sources for
information of this kind?

Comments, information, suggestions appreciated.

Peter B. White
Monash Information and Communications Technology Centre
Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
home   phone + 61 3 817 2483           fax + 61 3 817 5875
office phone + 61 3 565 5421           fax + 61 3 565 5412
APC Networks   -  peg:pbwhite  AARNet/ACSNet  -  pbwhite@peg.pegasus.oz.au
Internet       -  pbwhite@peg.apc.org

Tony Harminc <TONY@mcgill1.bitnet> (05/06/91)

peg!pbwhite@igc.org wrote:

> I am currently writing a paper on social aspects of Caller ID, or more
> correctly Calling Number Display.

> Can anyone tell me whether there was any public debate in the U.S when
> the FCC authorized Automatic Number Identification for the long
> distance carriers? If there wasn't any debate, how can we explain the
> different response to Caller ID? Are there any good FCC sources for
> information of this kind?

Caller*ID is something that most people can understand to at least
some extent.  Even the hypothetical grandmother techno-peasant can
probably be shown a Call Display box and understand what it does.

ANI information passed by one large company to another is virtually
impossible to explain to the grandmother, and distinguishing the
possible social evils of ANI vs anything else that big companies may
be perceived to do to people is even more difficult.

I think it's as simple as that.  Will your paper be generally
available?  I would be very interested in seeing a copy.

Tony Harminc