[comp.dcom.telecom] The Two Line Solution

Leryo Malbito <leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu> (04/29/91)

With regards to Nelson Bolyard's (nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com) two-line
CID solution, I just recalled something from a couple of weeks ago.
Upon calling a COCOT, I got a telco tri-tone message stating something
to the effect of: "There are no incoming calls permitted to this
telephone ..." Da-Daa-Daa...

(I think this is the same type of message that Bell Atlantic provides
when you have been chosen as a CALL BLOCK(tm?)ed number ... eg, you
bother someone, then they block all future calls from your number.)

Anyway, I think therefore you might be able to explain the situation,
and request this special service from your telco.

Leryo

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (05/02/91)

In article <telecom11.318.3@eecs.nwu.edu>, leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Leryo
Malbito) writes:

> Upon calling a COCOT, I got a telco tri-tone message stating something
> to the effect of: "There are no incoming calls permitted to this
> telephone ..." Da-Daa-Daa...

> (I think this is the same type of message that Bell Atlantic provides
> when you have been chosen as a CALL BLOCK(tm?)ed number ... eg, you
> bother someone, then they block all future calls from your number.)

Actually, NJ Bell (part of Bell Atlantic) provides a recording which
is not preceded by the SIT tone, and says: "The number you are calling
is not accepting calls at this time" if the called party has blocked
calls from the calling party.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

[Moderator's Note: The recording from IBT is exactly the same here.  PAT]

Perry Stokes <stokes@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu> (05/06/91)

In article <telecom11.326.7@eecs.nwu.edu> dave@westmark.westmark.com
(Dave Levenson) writes:

> In article <telecom11.318.3@eecs.nwu.edu>, leryo@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Leryo
> Malbito) writes:

>> Upon calling a COCOT, I got a telco tri-tone message stating something
>> to the effect of: "There are no incoming calls permitted to this
>> telephone ..." Da-Daa-Daa...

>> (I think this is the same type of message that Bell Atlantic provides
>> when you have been chosen as a CALL BLOCK(tm?)ed number ... eg, you
>> bother someone, then they block all future calls from your number.)

> Actually, NJ Bell (part of Bell Atlantic) provides a recording which
> is not preceded by the SIT tone, and says: "The number you are calling
> is not accepting calls at this time" if the called party has blocked
> calls from the calling party.

That system is never going to work as well as planned.  Rather than
giving a message saying something, the phone should just sound as if
it's ringing off the hook.  The offending party would just assume
they're never answering the phone.  If you have a message saying "They
don't want to accept your call.." then anyone with half a brain will
just try calling from another number. (pay phone, friends phone, etc)

Perry Stokes  stokes@ai.mit.edu   512-836-2163