[comp.dcom.telecom] Need Ideas on a Telecom Project For Kids

Daniel A Margolis <dam@mtqua.att.com> (05/01/91)

Where will our future telecomers come from?  Well maybe, we can help a
few kids get started early.

We have a program where we bring a few eighth-graders into our labs
during the summer.  Last year, I was in charge of finding a project
for them.  I wanted them to build something that had to do with
telephones, but I couldn't find a telephone kit. So, I took apart some
2500 sets and made my own "kit."  I would like to do a similar project
this year, but unfortunately, I don't have any more of those phones.
The "modern" phones are just a circuit board inside a rectangular box.
There just isn't that much to take apart.  I'm looking for ideas.

What kind of project can I give the students that will involve
telecom?

I have approximatly two hours per day for five days.

They are not old enough to understand electronics, so they need things
that are mechanical and pretty intuitive, but give them a sense of
accomplishment.

Is there a build-a-phone kit on the market?

Thanks,

Dan Margolis

payne@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Andrew Payne) (05/05/91)

In article <telecom11.327.2@eecs.nwu.edu> dam@mtqua.att.com (Daniel A
Margolis) writes:

> We have a program where we bring a few eighth-graders into our labs
> during the summer.  Last year, I was in charge of finding a project

> What kind of project can I give the students that will involve
> telecom?

	Try building a network.  Have the students bring an extra
phone from home, or pick up a bunch of cheapies at K-mart.  Add 48V
and off you go ...

	Next, build a "switchboard" with a bunch of jacks so you can
have operators manually route calls.  Then, build another switchboard
and set up "long distance" links between them.  Set up a connection to
one of your lab's extensions so they can make "international" calls
home.  Have the students run the wire, set up the extensions, and
operate the switchboards.

	I doubt you'll have time to build all of this stuff in a week,
but a little pre-fabrication combined with on-site assembly by the
students and you should have something appropriate for the time you
have.

Andrew C. Payne, N8KEI        UUCP:  ...!cornell!batcomputer!payne
                          INTERNET:  payne@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

Daniel Jacobson <danj1@ihlpz.att.com> (05/07/91)

Margolis) writes:

> We have a program where we bring a few eighth-graders into our labs
> during the summer.  Last year, I was in charge of finding a project
> What kind of project can I give the students that will involve
> telecom?

Have 'em electronically thumb thru TELECOM Digest!  Then the rest of
USENET netnews.  It should leave them with the tele]communications
itch for good.