[comp.dcom.telecom] Has Anyone Heard of This?

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (04/29/91)

For the fourth time in about as many weeks, I have received a
pre-recorded marketing spiel on my 800 line (probably directed at the
POTS number). It is the same thing every time, but the fact that it
comes in on this particular line indicates that the calling entity has
no idea who or what it is calling. There is no way that the outside
world can associate me with this line.

The female voice indicates that she has tried to reach me five times
and this is the last time (on every one of the calls). To claim my
prize it will be necessary to call a number and give my validation
number, "C5" (which is spoken in a voice that sounds like a Hollywood
alien on drugs -- supposed to be a computer voice?). I must do this
within 24 hours to claim my prize, which will otherwise be given to
someone else.

The number, 312 292-9000, (Patrick -- I realize Chicago is a big
place, but have you by chance heard of this scam?) is always busy. I
suspect that if one gets through, he will be directed to a 900 number.
If anyone wants to use my "validation number", be my guest. You need
not impersonate me, since there is no possible way the operation has
any ability to connect me with the number it called to reach me.

But be sure you let us know what it is all about!

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: I found out only a few things. All the numbers
between 312-292-9000 and 312-292-9049 *always* are busy. The first
couple dozen immediatly cut to a busy signal when dialed; the numbers
in the upper range (9040 through 9049) click, appear to get forwarded
somewhere, then also return a busy signal. The first thirty or so of
the numbers are listed two ways: 'Combined Credit Service, Inc' and
'American Consumer Services', both of 2320 North Damen Avenue in
Chicago. The remainder of the numbers (from about 9035 up to 9049)
give a CNA report of 'no record on file' (as opposed to non-pub). The
numbers from 9050 up to at least 9099 are not in service. I tried
several of the numbers just now (midnight) and got a busy on
everything I tried; my assumption is the numbers are out of order or
perhaps not in service but incorrectly programmed in the switch, etc.
If I think of it, I will check out 2320 North Damen in the criss cross
at my office tomorrow. There seem to be very few working numbers in
the 312-292 exchange. I tested at random and mostly got 'not in
service' or 'has been disconnected' messages.   PAT]

Steve Wolfson <wolfson@mot.com> (05/01/91)

I dialed (312) 292-9000 at about 9:30 a.m. on May 1.

A voice answers the phone "Good Morning, Award Center, May I have your
area code and telephone number?"  I decided not to try and see what
that did for me.

Steve Wolfson

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (05/01/91)

It always seems a little peculiar to answer one's own posts, but once
again the power of the press has come to bear. I received a call from
a gentleman this afternoon, who after establishing his credentials,
informed me about the "prize" that I would have won upon calling the
Chicago number.

The number in Chicago is assigned, as Pat pointed out, to a marketing
company and has been in service since September. It is 100% scammola;
the prize is a trip to Sunny Orlando and a "vacation on the beach". No
kidding! All expenses paid except food, lodging, and transportation --
or something like that. The beach thing is interesting since San Jose
is closer to the Pacific Ocean than Orlando is to the Atlantic -- and
I do not consider my home to be beachfront property by any stretch of
the imagination!

So if anyone is interested, use my "C5" verification number and enjoy
your holiday in Orlando. I think I will pass.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Bill Gripp <billg@bony1.bony.com> (05/01/91)

In article <telecom11.322.3@eecs.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.
com> writes:

> For the fourth time in about as many weeks, I have received a
> pre-recorded marketing spiel on my 800 line (probably directed at the
> POTS number). It is the same thing every time, but the fact that it
> comes in on this particular line indicates that the calling entity has
> no idea who or what it is calling. There is no way that the outside
> world can associate me with this line.

> The female voice indicates that she has tried to reach me five times
> and this is the last time (on every one of the calls). To claim my
> prize it will be necessary to call a number and give my validation
> number, "C5" (which is spoken in a voice that sounds like a Hollywood
> alien on drugs -- supposed to be a computer voice?). I must do this
> within 24 hours to claim my prize, which will otherwise be given to
> someone else.

> The number, 312 292-9000, (Patrick -- I realize Chicago is a big
> place, but have you by chance heard of this scam?) is always busy. I
> suspect that if one gets through, he will be directed to a 900 number.

> [Moderator's Note: I found out only a few things. All the numbers
> between 312-292-9000 and 312-292-9049 *always* are busy. The first
> couple dozen immediatly cut to a busy signal when dialed; the numbers
> in the upper range (9040 through 9049) click, appear to get forwarded
> somewhere, then also return a busy signal. The first thirty or so of
> the numbers are listed two ways: 'Combined Credit Service, Inc' and
> 'American Consumer Services', both of 2320 North Damen Avenue in
> Chicago.

Well I called from here in New York City at 11:30 eastern time and got
through.  They asked for my name, phone number, if I had a checking
account, and validation number.

They then told me that I had been called because I had been selected to
receive one of four special prizes! (which are part of an "advertizing
campaign"):

       32" Sony TV with remote control
       $2000 cashiers check
       Round trip vacation to Jamaica (Queens, NY? =8^) )
       $1000 savings bond

And after they had verified my name and validation number against
their list of winners (remember, they never really called me) they
told me that I also won a special bonus of a seven day trip to
Orlando, FL (consisting of two round trip airline vouchers).

After some sales speil about saving money and trying to convince me to
join their "buying club" they asked me for the number of my checking
account.  Well I don't carry it with me (heh heh heh) so I could
honestly say "I don't know".  They deduct the $199.98 membership fee
directly from your checking.

They gave me some more speil and said they would call me back when I
have my check book available.  Gee, and I just used up my last check
last Sunday and won't get any from the printers for another three
weeks =8^).

Sorry, just another phone scam.

rborow@bcm1a09.attmail.com (05/01/91)

John Higdon,

I'm asking Patrick to indulge me here as I tell you both what I found
out regarding your telemarketing calls from 312-292-9000. I decided to
dig deeper than Pat did (or deeper than he's able to, for that
matter).  Accessing the telemarketer's account, I learned much stuff.
What I found out was quite interesting, so here goes ...

First, the name of the "business" is "Combined Credit Service," as Pat
had mentioned earlier. According to my records, they have only a few
lines (they appear to have a hunt feature which doesn't reveal all its
respective numbers, of course. They make all their outgoing calls off
line numbers 292-9027 and 9028. Line number 9015 is used to accept
collect calls (I'd bet from the people they call!) from all over the
country. Lines 9000 through 9014 appear to be the DID lines receiving
individuals' calls like yours, John. BTW, the several times I called
their numbers, each attempt was NOT busy and was answered: "Awards
Center, may I have your area code and phone number?"

Looking through their long-distance calls (lots, too! Somebody from my
company ought to sell 'em Pro Wats :-) ), they make hundreds of calls
to most of the country, over 35 states from what I counted. California
is one of their frequent places to call. Of course, it IS an
overly-crowded state with plenty of places to call, but that's another
matter, John.

Most of their calls are of relatively short duration, from one to five
minutes; however, there are some longer than 45 minutes! I thought you
might be interested, John, about their calling patterns to the San
Jose area. They made numerous such calls to the following San Jose
prefixes: 224, 263, 448, 974, 298, 987, 996, 987, 272, 985, 748, 246,
441, and 978. Of these calls, only two showed repeated calls to the
same number. Each prefix had many calls to different numbers, though.
The 985 and 974 exchanges seem to be their favorites. How they got
these numbers is beyond me, since many of the ones they dialed are
non-published numbers. BTW, their calls were not done in any
particular order or sequence; they seem to be random ones with little
in common. John, if you want to discuss this particular aspect
further, please E-mail me directly, as I probably shouldn't drag it on
here any more than is necessary.

Now, for the good stuff. I eventually called this joint and gave them
my phone number (fake, of course), as well as John's claim #. Some
annoying guy checked and said "Congratulations, Randall," (I used only
my first name) "you have been computer-selected to receive ..." Geez,
how special, I thought. The prizes he had described included a
"31-inch, color Sony TV w/ remote control..."  Blah, blah, blah.

He went on and said that since I gave him this "special claim number,"
I was the proud recipient of a seven-day vacation to Orlando, Florida!
Wanna go with, John? We could tour Disney World, and ... anyway, he
explained to me what exciting things were in Orlando (his words):
"Disney World, sunny skies, and beautiful beaches alongside the
ocean." Now, correct me if I'm wrong, folks, but isn't Orlando in the
middle of the state? Beaches? In Orlando? I've been there a couple
times, and I'm STILL having difficulty trying to find the Orlando
Ocean. :-) BTW, I wish we Chicagoans had sunny skies here. I wonder
what that must be like. Looks like we'll all have to go to Orlando to
find out.

Enough of my digressing into sarcasm, though. To make a long story
short, he finally got to the most important part of his shpiel: the
costs to ME, the consumer. For *only* $199.98 for a year's membership,
I could become a member of American Consumer's Bureau (they sure have
plenty of names), "an organization of over 200,000 happy members,
including members like IBM, Chrysler, .." For this "small fee," I
could receive over $300 in grocery coupons, saving me "from five to
six hundred dollars a year" in grocery costs (but there's only so much
I could do with those 10c Charmin coupons). Other stuff I'd get, but
you people get the point.

All in all, John, just another typical telemarketing sleaze job. From
the looks of their bill, though, they sure get to a LOT of people.

I hope this information helped.

Randy Borow    AT&T Communications    Rolling Meadows, IL.
DISCLAIMER: The above represents the opinions of me only and not Ma Bell.
She's busy enough on her own to worry about us little guys.

John R Hall <jhall@ihlpm.att.com> (05/02/91)

The 312-292-9000 number is indeed for American Consumer Services at
2320 North Damen in Chicago.  John, you really missed out on a great
opportunity.  Your "C5" validation number was good for one of the
following gifts:

1.  32" Sony Color TV
2.  $2,500 Cashier's Check
3.  2 fully-paid r/t tickets to Jamaica
4.  $1k Savings Bond

In addition, the computer showed that you were eligible for a bonus
gift!  The bonus gift was a seven-day vacation to Orlando with two
round trip ticket vouchers and "competitively priced" hotel
accomodations at selected hotels through their designated travel
agent.

The only catch to this was that you have to pay $199.98 to join their
Buyer's Club which sells things such as life/health insurance, auto
club, tires, etc., etc.  Oh, and you would have had to make a decision
on the spot since the computer "will erase this transaction after you
hang up" and you won't be eligible for the gifts.

I stopped by on the way home last night to visit them.  They are in a
1/2 block long old red brick building with glass-blocked windows so
you can't see inside.  Located in the same building is the Toledo Body
Shop (with a cardboard sign on the door pointing to another entrance
for American Consumer Services).  Sure enough, their name is on the
door, but curiously the doors were open even though the place was
empty except for one man I saw there.  I only poked my head in far
enough to see a big room with modular partitions and desks set up in
the back.  Connected to this building in the back is a Cellular One
phone installation place.  There's also a big sign saying "The Carpet
Place" with the same entrance as ACS.  There's also a big "Available"
sign on the building with a number but no realtor name.

I think ACS make take their phones off-hook at night, since there was
no conversation on the 9000 number according to the operator.  Their
"Customer Service" number is 312-292-9015 and did answer with voice
mail saying their business hours are 9-5 Central time.

John

[Moderator's Note: Admittedly, my tests were only during the overnight
hours. If they take thre phones off the hook at 5 PM central time,
that might explain why John got busy signals if he called during (his)
late afternoon or early evening.  PAT]

herrickd@uunet.uu.net> (05/03/91)

[John Higdon's description of prerecorded phone invitation to call a
number in (312) land and some of Pat's report on his investigation
truncated.]

> numbers from 9050 up to at least 9099 are not in service. I tried
> several of the numbers just now (midnight) and got a busy on
> everything I tried; my assumption is the numbers are out of order or
   [...]
> the 312-292 exchange. I tested at random and mostly got 'not in
> service' or 'has been disconnected' messages.   PAT]

Maybe people in that neighborhood take the phone off the hook before
they go to bed.  Do you often call all the numbers in some range
around midnight?  Have you programmed your computer to help you make
these calls?

I enjoyed your report, but Good Grief! Pat.

dan herrick   herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

[Moderator's Note: I tried numbers which were 99 percent certain to be
business numbers (had they been connected); i.e. numbers ending in
hundreds and/or thousands. I also tried some which CNA reported as 'no
record located', which almost invariably wind up being either actually
not in service or in service as DID trunks behind a PBX or extensions
on a centrex, etc ... not exactly the sort of thing which makes up
residential phone service. And no, I would *never* program a computer
to simply start dialing down the line at any time of the day or night.
I concentrated primarily on the 9000 - 9099 group, with a few 'random'
picks elsewhere based on what CNA records said and my own knowledge of
how numbers would likely be assigned here.  PAT]

wdh@gatech.edu (Weaver Hickerson) (05/07/91)

Concerning these telemarketing sleazes.  I have a friend who, after
getting his MBA (Accounting) and MHA (Hospital Admin), went to work
doing stuff like this.  Much to the chagrin of his father the
endocrinoligist.

The common theme seems to be you get something for nothing, which we
all know does not happen.  He's called me from work a few times to
chat, and you can always hear several sales pitches going on around
him.

"Did you know that you should feel incredibly lucky that we chose you
to be the winner of a free (only $199.00) vacation at a hotel in
Florida, which we have an arrangement with that we will buy empty
rooms for $10.00 a night?"  (I read between the lines)

Part of the appeal of their sales pitch now is that, if the customer
does not have a checking account (no ACH transfer), and no credit
card, they provide a 1-900 number for the customer's convenience.
Just call the number and the $199.00 will be billed to your phone
bill.  What a benefit!  Oh, and that's not all.  They'll also send by
a FedEx courier to pick up your money.  Every angle covered.

I wonder if he could arrange for me to visit the "service center".  It
would probably be enlightening.  Oh well, at least he's not working
for the "credit repair" service anymore.  That one cost him some
lawyer's fees and restitution, after he was arrested for "owning and
operating a credit repair service", which he neither owned or
operated.  The owner had already split town.  They spent all their
time calling up people with poor credit and guaranteeing that they
would either arrange financing for a car or refund the $250.00 (cash)
payment.

Maybe I can get him to post an "insider's view".

Weaver Hickerson   Voice (404) 496-1358   :  ..!edu!gatech!holos0!wdh