[comp.dcom.telecom] RJ-11 Jacks in Hotel Rooms

Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu> (04/30/91)

The recent message about the Comdial hotel phones with an RJ11 data
jack on the side reminded me of an experience I had a couple of years
ago at Motel 6.  At the time, they had a radio commercial devoted to
their telephone policies.  "Free local calls, no surcharge for calling
card calls, and all our phones use modular jacks, so you can plug in
your computer and send in all your orders."  I was surprised - a
general audience commercial talking about modular jacks, data
transfer, etc.  Their phones don't have extra jacks like the Comdial
phones, but they are plugged into modular jacks, so you just unplug
the phone and plug in your device.

The problem was that the little release clips were broken of the male
end of the RJ11 connector on each end (as if this is going to prevent
someone from taking the phone!).  I complained to the front desk,
explaining not only that it was silly, but that their own commercials
specifically touted the ability for the guest to plug in his own
device.  The first response was "What?  Why would you need to plug in
your computer to the phone?"  After explaining the concept of "dialing
in", the response was "I don't know nothin' about the phones - sorry."
(Exact English preserved.)

As a side note, I also had my voice card with me, and set up voice
mail for my room extension.  My mom was taken aback when calling, but
somehow has come to expect things like this from me.  Too bad the
front desk never had the occasion to call my room when I wasn't there.
Their reaction would have been priceless!

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu

trebor@uunet.uu.net> (05/01/91)

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) writes:

> The problem was that the little release clips were broken of the male
> end of the RJ11 connector on each end (as if this is going to prevent
> someone from taking the phone!).

This is commonly done in hotel rooms.  Any dedicated travelling
modemer carries a small screwdriver for impromptu ECO'ing of hotel
phones.  In a pinch, you can use a paperclip or the tang on the end of
a Bic pen to worm the jack out.

I always travel with a two way splitter and install it as soon as I
get into the room.

Inveterate Motel-6 Modemer's can be recognised by dialing scripts in
their terminal programs that look like this:

		ATDT 6,1XXXYYYZZZZ,,,,,,,AAABBBCCCCDDDD

This gets the outside line, dials the long distance number, waits long
enough to get the bong (varies between five and seven seconds
depending on the Motel 6), and dials a credit card number.  I wish all
Hotel telephone systems were as simple and straightforward (and fair!)
as the big 6's are... ;^)

Robert J. Woodhead, Biar Games / AnimEigo, Incs.   trebor@foretune.co.jp

Mitch Wagner <wagner@utoday.com> (05/07/91)

In article <telecom11.325.6@eecs.nwu.edu> kddlab!lkbreth.foretune.co.
jp!trebor@uunet.uu.net (Robert J Woodhead) writes:

> Any dedicated travelling
> modemer carries a small screwdriver for impromptu ECO'ing of hotel
> phones.  In a pinch, you can use a paperclip or the tang on the end of
> a Bic pen to worm the jack out.

Is that what you call the end of a pen? A "tang"? No kidding! :-)

Seriously, I find the end of the pen or paperclip works best. Why
burden one's self down with unnecessary supplies when one can as
easily forage off the land? (So to speak.)

> get into the room.

> Inveterate Motel-6 Modemer's can be recognised by dialing scripts in
> their terminal programs that look like this:

> 		ATDT 6,1XXXYYYZZZZ,,,,,,,AAABBBCCCCDDDD

> This gets the outside line, dials the long distance number, waits long
> enough to get the bong (varies between five and seven seconds
> depending on the Motel 6), and dials a credit card number.  I wish all
> Hotel telephone systems were as simple and straightforward (and fair!)
> as the big 6's are... ;^)

And inveterate business travellers can be sometimes be spotted by
checking their comm dialing directories. I'm a GEnie addict, and a
private detective would find my ProComm dialing directory containing
numbers for GEnie nodes in Long Island, the San Francisco Bay Area and
Cambridge, Mass.

Why wouldn't something like the Motel 6 dialing scheme work on another
hotel?

I've never actually tried to charge a modem call, but it seems that
you could just program the following string in:

ATDT 9,1(XXX)YYY-ZZZZ,,,,,,,,,,AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD

With ABCD being the credit card number... and ,,,,, being the pause
for the bong.

That should work fine. Just about every hotel I've ever stayed in had
you dial "9" for outside, collect, 800 and credit card calls, and "8"
for long distance calls.

Oh, well. I'm due to travel next first week in June. I shall perform
the appropriate experiments and report back.

Mitch Wagner      VOICE: 516/562-5758
GEnie: MITCH.WAGNER   UUCP: wagner@utoday.com

tnixon@uunet.uu.net> (05/08/91)

In article <telecom11.339.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, wagner@utoday.com (Mitch
Wagner) writes:

> I've never actually tried to charge a modem call, but it seems that
> you could just program the following string in:

> ATDT 9,1(XXX)YYY-ZZZZ,,,,,,,,,,AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD

> With ABCD being the credit card number... and ,,,,, being the pause
> for the bong.

If you put in ten commas (as you mention), you're going to be pausing
so long that the operator will have come on the line after the bong
tone, and s/he won't appreciate getting blasted with your credit card
number!  If you use commas, you will have to tinker with it at each
hotel to get the number of commas right, so that the credit card
number starts to dial within about five seconds after the bong in
order to avoid getting the operator.

What I do instead is use the "@" dial modifier, e.g.:

   ATDT 8W0XXXYYYZZZZ@AAABBBCCCCDDDD

The "@" (Wait for Quiet Answer) dial modifier is supported in most
modems today.  It causes the modem to pause, listening for some sound
in the call progress signalling band, followed by five seconds of
silence, and then continue (five seconds are required to differentiate
a "quiet answer", used in some direct inward system access features,
from the normal four-second pause between ringback tones).  The BONG
tone triggers it in most modems, because the last part of the BONG is
a decaying dial tone (which falls in the call progress band).
Sometimes the five seconds is too long and the operator comes on the
line, but usually just trying again works OK.  If it turns out that
the operator ALWAYS comes on the line before five seconds of silence
has expired, you don't have much choice but to revert to a series of
commas (and tinker until you get them right, and hope that the time it
takes the hotel PBX to send you to AT&T is fairly consistent).

You could, of course, always use ONE comma, and then use the S8
register to set its length.  This may make it somewhat easier to
"tinker", without having to edit the phone number.

FYI, I'm calling into our Vax in Atlanta right now, charging the call
to my corporate AT&T Calling Card, having used the method described
above.  Works great.  Only blasted the operator one time so far this
trip!

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404
P.O. Box 105203                   | UUCP uunet!hayes!tnixon  AT&T    !tnixon
Atlanta, Georgia  30348  USA      | Internet       hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net