[comp.dcom.telecom] Long Distance Carrier Near Philadelphia

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (05/07/91)

A default long distance company I have seen very recently (on at least
one pay phone in the Middle Atlantic area -- I live in Delaware) is
another firm I haven't heard of, but is quite close by:

Call Technology Corp.
100 Stevens Drive
Lester, PA 19113

This would put it near the Philadelphia International Airport.

irvin@northstar.dartmouth.edu (05/08/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #340, Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) writes:

> A default long distance company I have seen very recently (on at least
> one pay phone in the Middle Atlantic area -- I live in Delaware) is
> another firm I haven't heard of, but is quite close by:

> Call Technology Corp.
> 100 Stevens Drive
> Lester, PA 19113

> This would put it near the Philadelphia International Airport.

I will probably regret admitting this, but that is my brother-in-law's
firm.  It is an AOS/COCOT company, with a big portion of the business
devoted to prisons.  You're correct about the location, right smack
dab next to the Philadelphia Airport.  It is not a new company; he has
been aound since the before the early days of COCOTs (back when the
PUCs were trying to figure out what to do with these guys.)  Prior to
that Call Technology was a long distance consulting firm (your
business calls XX, YY, and ZZ the most, so IXC ABC would be the best
company for these routes, etc.)

Just to save my reputation here, I also am not a fan of COCOTs (not
that I would admit that at our Thanksgiving family reunions).  I do
generally look for that "genuine Bell" logo on pay-phones.  But from
looking at his operation, I'd have to (biasedly) say that Call Tech.
is a pretty tame critter in a jungle of sleazoids.

Tim Irvin    NORTHSTAR    Dartmouth College