[comp.dcom.telecom] Collect & Third-Party Billing

TONY@mcgill1.bitnet (Tony Harminc) (05/08/91)

>Date: Tue, 7 May 1991 11:19:53 EDT
>From: KATH MULLHOLAND <K_MULLHOLAND@unhh.unh.edu>
>Subject: Collect and Third-Party Screening
>
>We just received our April bill.  We have screening on 300 phones, and
>received bills for ten of them.  A total of fourteen calls were
>billed.  Two were collect calls from "MTL PQ" billed by AT&T (No
>credit will be given -- international calls aren't covered by the
>screening.)  ....

Back in the "good old days" there was a scheme to prevent collect calls
to coin phones: within each CO prefix one entire thousands block was
set aside for coin phones, and operators had a list of which numbers
were suspect.  (For far away places they had to contact Rate & Route
who had grand master lists, or even sometimes inward operators if the
place was really out of the way.)  So for instance in many areas all
numbers of the form NNX-0XXX were at least potentialy coin phones
and a collect call to such a number would not be completed without
further checking.

This scheme certainly worked internationally.  Now I assume this
information is all in a database somewhere - surely they can't still
be using the "thousands digit" scheme, can they ?  So if calling card
numbers can be verified internationally in a second or two, why can't
collect and third-party prohibition be handled similarly ?

Tony Harminc