[comp.dcom.telecom] Introducing Call Management Service in Montreal Area

Stewart Clamen <clamen@cs.cmu.edu> (05/02/91)

[The following is from a 3/4 page ad in the {Montreal Gazette} of
Friday, April 19.  I presume newspaper distribution restrictions don't
apply to advertisements, so this transcription is complete modulo-
graphics. -- SMC]

                 INTRODUCING CALL MANAGEMENT SERVICE
       Four new Bell features that put you in charge of your calls.

You have a busy lifestyle and           The MONTREAL AREA is one of
your value your privacy.  Your          the first to be offered Call
home is you safe place.  The            Management Service (CMS) from
telephone is your vital link            Bell Canada - 4 features that
to the outside.                         give you greater control over
                                        your telephone ... and your
                                        lifestyle.

                              ---------

CALL DISPLAY: Let's you see             CALL RETURN: Allows you to
the caller's originating                return the last call you
number BEFORE you answer.               places or received.

 Imagine choosing which phone            How many times have you run
 calls to take.  Deciding how            frantically for the ringing
 to answer the call or                   telephone?  With Call Return,
 returning the call at a more            you can let it ring.  When
 convenient time.  With Call             it's more convenient for you
 Display (*) and one of Bell             to speak, simple dial a code
 Canada's Call Display                   and you'll be connected with
 companion products, you see             the last caller.
 the caller's number before
 you answer.  And the choice             And how often have you wasted
 is yours.                               time trying to get through on
                                         a busy line?  Use your Call
 (*) This is the only Call               Return turn code a special
 Management feature that                 ring will let your know when
 requires a special visual               the number is free.
 display device.  From the
 multi-functional Maestro(TM)
 telephone to simple display
 devices, such as Call
 Identifier (TM) Model 110,              CALL SCREEN: Screens unwanted
 that attach to your existing            callers before your phone even
 equipment.  Bell offers you a           rings.
 selection of companion                  Wouldn't it be nice to
 products to suit your                   reroute unwelcome calls and
 requirements and your budget.           only receive the calls you
                                         want?  Call Screen lets you
                                         easily program up to 12
                                         calling numbers.  If any of
                                         them call you, they'll
CALL TRACE: Now you can do               automatically get this
something about harassing                message: "The part you are
calls.                                   trying to reach has chosen
                                         not to take calls at this
                                         time."  You can also add the
 At last there's a way to help           last caller to your list --
 put an end to harassing phone           even if you don't know the
 calls.  With Call Trace, just           number.  You'll enjoy more
 hang up if you receive a                peace and privacy.  You won't
 threatening or harassing                get unwanted calls.  And
 call.  Then dial a code and             you'll still be accessible to
 the caller's number can                 the people you want to speak
 automatically be recorded by            to.
 Bell and made available
 should you want to take legal
 action.

                              ---------

SOME RESTRICTIONS APPLY.

Call Management Service is available to single-line residential and
business customers in the Montreal calling area, and currently
operates on direct-dialed local calls that are served by CMS
technology.  The service is gradually being extended to include long
distance calls.  If a CMS feature cannto operate on a particular line,
a display or appropriate voice announcement will let you know.  CMS
may not be availablein your area.

CMS DETERS ANNOYANCE CALLERS.

Call Management Service makes an important contribution to privacy and
security in one's everyday life.  The very existence of CMS deters
annoyance callers -- wheater you personally subscribe to the service
or not.  Those callers who make annoyance calls wil think twice if
they're not sure whether the person they're caling is a CMS
subscriber.

        Therefore, every time you make a call to someone who is a CMS
subscriber, you telephone number will be transmitted to that person
(subject to technical limitations) ... unless you use operator-assisted
dialing.  This also applies to unpublished numbers.

                              ---------

       CMS FEATURES MAY BE SUPPRESSED BY THE CALLER ON REQUEST

Bell provides customers with the option of preventing their telephone
numebrs from being transmitted to the called party.  If you wish to
ensure that your telephone number is not transmitted when calling
certain parties, you can dial "0" and inform the Operator accordingly.
The Operator wil put your call through without transmitting your
telephone number.  A charge of 75c per call applies.

        Certified shelters for victims of domestic violence are exempt
from the operator-assisted dialing fee.  Bell is currently in the
process of identifying eleigble shelters in the Montreal area, and
invites shelter representative to call their local Bell Business
Office regarding certification procedures.

If you live in the Montreal local calling area, order today by calling
279-8636.

                                              BELL
                                       Answering your call.
                     --------------

Stewart M. Clamen		Internet:    clamen@cs.cmu.edu
School of Computer Science	UUCP: 	     uunet!"clamen@cs.cmu.edu"
Carnegie Mellon University	Phone: 	     +1 412 268 3620
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890, USA	Fax:	     +1 412 268 1793

Jamie Mason <jmason@utcs.utoronto.ca> (05/05/91)

In article <telecom11.327.5@eecs.nwu.edu> clamen+@cs.cmu.edu quotes:

> The MONTREAL AREA is one of the first to be offered Call
> Management Service (CMS) from

	Toronto has had it since April 22.  I think Ottawa has had it
for a while now.  Why don't they just say Montreal is the Nth area to
be offered CMS, subsituting the correct, but impressively low, N?

	Does anyone have a list of cites which have a full scale
Caller-ID system in place, or to be in place REAL soon?

> The service is gradually being extended to include long distance calls.

	Since at least two other Canadain cities have CMS, why does
Bell Canada not extend it to long distance NOW?

> If you live in the Montreal local calling area, order today by calling
> 279-8636.

	This quote almost exactly matched a pamphlet Bell Canada sent
to Toronto customers with their phone bill.  It was sent three months
ago, announcing the service and inviting questions/orders.  The
Toronto number is (416) 585-2500.  Does anyone know the date when
these services will go on-line in Montreal?

	I would love to have seen the French ad for CMS.  French ads
are almost always more original and amusing than the equivalent
English ones, except the ads which are direct translations of the
English.

	I am surprised that this message had to wait until someone at
NWU read the Gazette.  Don't we have any Telcom readers in Montreal?

	I have been asked by several Telcom readers to post my
experiences with CMS to the Newsgroup, since the Caller-ID discussion
has a low fact:speculation ratio.  Maybe some Montreal readers would
be interested to see what is coming their way?  I will post the
article as soon as I have finished composing it. It is somewhat long.

	I am glad to see CMS expanding so rapildly.  I think that,
despite itself, Bell Canada is doing the Right Thing with CMS ... or
at least a close approximation of the Right Thing, for a sufficiently
liberal "close".

Jamie

Tony Harminc <TONY@mcgill1.bitnet> (05/06/91)

Jamie Mason <jmason@utcs.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> In article <telecom11.327.5@eecs.nwu.edu> clamen+@cs.cmu.edu quotes:

>> The MONTREAL AREA is one of the first to be offered Call
>> Management Service (CMS) from

>	Toronto has had it since April 22.  I think Ottawa has had it
> for a while now.  Why don't they just say Montreal is the Nth area to
> be offered CMS, subsituting the correct, but impressively low, N?

CMS was introduced in Montreal and Toronto on the same date.
Ottawa/Hull and Quebec were the first (1990).  Bell has published a
rough schedule for the major urban centres in its operating area.
There will be plenty of local publicity when it arrives - why get
excited about the exact date ?

>	Does anyone have a list of cites which have a full scale
> Caller-ID system in place, or to be in place REAL soon?

The above mentioned are it for now in Bell Canada's area.  There are
quite a few in the US now.  I'd be interested to hear about Caller*ID
outside the (technologically nearly-identical) US/Canada systems.  I
have seen references to it in the UK - can a reader there fill us in ?

>> The service is gradually being extended to include long distance calls.

>	Since at least two other Canadain cities have CMS, why does
> Bell Canada not extend it to long distance NOW?

Because Signaling System # 7 (CCS7) is not available in the entire
long distance network yet.  Also, it is not clear whether Bell will
have to re-apply to the CRTC for permission to offer Call Display for
long distance calls.  I'm sure they think they don't, but someone (me?
:-)) will almost certainly try to force them to.

>	I am surprised that this message had to wait until someone at
> NWU read the Gazette.  Don't we have any Telcom readers in Montreal?

Perhaps the rest of us who read about it thought it was too long,
boring, and familiar to send to the Digest :-)

Tony Harminc

broughton@sask.usask.ca (05/09/91)

In article <telecom11.330.5@eecs.nwu.edu>, jmason@utcs.utoronto.ca
(Jamie Mason) writes:

> In article <telecom11.327.5@eecs.nwu.edu> clamen+@cs.cmu.edu quotes:

>> The MONTREAL AREA is one of the first to be offered Call
>> Management Service (CMS) from

> 	Toronto has had it since April 22.  I think Ottawa has had it
> for a while now.  Why don't they just say Montreal is the Nth area to
> be offered CMS, subsituting the correct, but impressively low, N?

> 	Does anyone have a list of cites which have a full scale
> Caller-ID system in place, or to be in place REAL soon?

Saskatoon has had Call Display (same as Caller ID) since April 1 of
this year.

>> The service is gradually being extended to include long distance calls.

> 	Since at least two other Canadain cities have CMS, why does
> Bell Canada not extend it to long distance NOW?

Currently, we in Saskatoon can get long distance information from
Regina, Prince Albert and Calgary. We probably get it from other
cities but no one call me from elsewhere.

Darrell