[comp.dcom.telecom] Touch-Tone vs. Rotary - A Frustrating Experience

Will Martin <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil> (05/03/91)

What is the percentage in the US these days of telephones with
touch-tone capability (on touch-tone-accepting lines) vs rotary
phones? Are there now more TT than rotary phones? (If so, any idea
when TT passed the 50% mark?) Is this statistic available for
residential vs. business lines?  (I would venture to guess that the
business percentage is far higher than the residential -- maybe
business is now 100% Touch-Tone [except for those few areas where TT
is not yet available]?)

What inspires this is a frustrating experience yesterday calling a
company (Rhino Records, at 800-432-0020) from my home, where I have
only rotary POTS. I got a voice-mail menu, which said to press 1 for
this and 2 for that, or to hold on if one had a rotary phone. I waited
through a couple iterations of that noise, and then got a ring signal.
However, after it rang six times, another recorded voice came on and
said "to return to the operator, press zero". No option was available
at that point for someone on a rotary phone! Eventually, another voice
said "Thank you" and hung up. I went through this nonsense six times!
On the seventh occurrence, I got a "busy" instead of a ring from the
sub-menu, or whatever you call it, and thereafter, I got a busy when
dialling the 800 number so I just gave up. (An added annoyance was
that they don't open up until 9:30 AM Pacific time, so I had to wait
until 11:30 Central to even begin this futile process.)

Today, at work, from a phone with TT capability, I called again and
managed to get to a real operator, after wading thru a couple levels
of voice mail menus, and eventually got connected to a real person to
whom I explained their problem with the phone-order system. I had had
a $75 order I had just about decided to forego, and I emphasized how
they were losing business from any and all callers with rotary phones.
(Personally, if it was my business and I received such a report from a
customer [or ex-customer], I'd rip the damn voice mail system out and
just what percentage of potential customers are they cutting off with
this cruddy system of theirs? Maybe, if rotary usage is so low now,
they can afford to ignore that segment of the market.

[Interesting thought: I was calling to order vinyl LPs from their
close-out sale, because they're terminating those. I woder how well
rotary phone usage correlates with the use of LPs vs. CDs. Maybe
that's why they didn't get orders for LPs any more -- all us LP
enthusiasts still have rotary phones and could never get thru to order
any! :-)]

Regards,

Will     wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

Jiro Nakamura <jiro@shaman.com> (05/07/91)

For my new line, I deliberately didn't order touch-tone service even
though I have touch-tone phones. It's ridiculous to get charged $2.20
(NYNEX) a month for something that saves NYNEX money by cutting down
on computation time. Once I get my line, I'm going to see if it
supports touch-tone anyway. If not, it's my modem/fax line anyway, so
it doesn't seriously bother me.

I think almost all new phones sold in the U.S. have touch-tone and
pulse.  Some have touch-tone only (el-cheapo (tm) brand). In Japan,
I've seen pulse only phones, but haven't seen a single one in America.

Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687   VOICE
(607) 253-7809 FAX/Modem

"Derek E. Terveer" <det@nightowl.mn.org> (05/08/91)

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:

> For my new line, I deliberately didn't order touch-tone service even
> though I have touch-tone phones. It's ridiculous to get charged $2.20
> (NYNEX) a month for something that saves NYNEX money by cutting down
> on computation time. Once I get my line, I'm going to see if it
> supports touch-tone anyway. If not, it's my modem/fax line anyway, so
> it doesn't seriously bother me.

I agree.  For my data line, I specifically ordered it with just pulse
and not tone because I didn't want to pay the extra few bucks a month
for something that would be practically invisible to me.  My (Unix)
system does all the dialing whenever it wants and I don't supervise
it.  And it matters little to me whether the dial portion of a
particular call at 3am took 1.2 seconds or 4.7 seconds.

The only potential disadvantage that I see is if I want my Unix box to
call long distance and use some sort of calling card code number or
something like that that requires touch-tone.  Haven't run into that
problem yet in over five years of running this system.

derek    det@nightowl.mn.org

John McHarry <m21198@mwunix.mitre.org> (05/09/91)

"Derek E. Terveer" <det@nightowl.mn.org> writes:

> I agree.  For my data line, I specifically ordered it with just pulse
> and not tone because I didn't want to pay the extra few bucks a month

> The only potential disadvantage that I see is if I want my Unix box to
> call long distance and use some sort of calling card code number or
> something like that that requires touch-tone.  Haven't run into that

Most autodial modems, eg. Hayes compatible, can be set to switch to
tone for the second part of the sequence.  I used to do that quite
often.  I have one phone that switches to tone for the remainder of
the current call only when you key in # with the switch set to dial
pulse, cute.

Yoram Eisenstadter <yoram@cs.columbia.edu> (05/10/91)

In article <telecom11.344.1@eecs.nwu.edu> det@nightowl.mn.org writes:

> The only potential disadvantage that I see is if I want my Unix box to
> call long distance and use some sort of calling card code number or
> something like that that requires touch-tone.

The ability to use DTMF tones for non-dialing purposes does *not*
depend on your subscribing to Touch-tone service (despite the lies
that some local phone companies, like NY Telephone, will tell you).

Having your modem dial the phone number in pulse mode, then switch to
tone mode to enter the credit card number (after a suitable pause)
works just fine on a pulse line -- I've done it.  Once the actual
phone number is dialed and you hear the "bong", you're talking to the
long-distance carrier, which doesn't care whether you pay the local
phone company's ripoff rates for touch-tone or not.

The same principle applies to accessing services like bank-by-phone
from a dial line -- just switch your phone to tone-dialing once you're
connected.

rhyre@cinoss1.att.com (Ralph W. Hyre) (05/10/91)

In article <telecom11.344.1@eecs.nwu.edu> det@nightowl.mn.org (Derek
E. Terveer) writes:

> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:

>> For my new line, I deliberately didn't order touch-tone service ...

> I agree.  For my data line, I specifically ordered it with just pulse

> The only potential disadvantage that I see is if I want my Unix box to
> call long distance and use some sort of calling card code number or
> something like that that requires touch-tone.

You can STILL send touch-tones over your phone line, whether you pay
for it or not.  When you pay your local phone company for 'touch-tone'
that just means you can dial your initial number using touch-tone.
They don't card what you dial once you are talking to your long
distance carrier/information provider whatever.

Calling card example: (manual dial)

pulse 10288 + 0 + 700 555 4141 [switch to tone] + Card Number

(My phone has a push button to switch to touch tone mode, so
it's really handy for this application.)

Modem example: (don't try this at home, my recollection of the Hayes
command set is fuzzy.)

ATDP1073207005554141T {card number digits}