[comp.dcom.telecom] Bravo Beeper Docs Wanted

schuster@cmcl2.nyu.edu> (04/29/91)

Anyone have an instruction sheet/tech sheet on the Motorola BRAVO
beeper?  I've been given one with no instructions. The simple things
are easy enough to figure out, but I've discovered that holding
various buttons while turning on the power will display interesting
things. Is any of thos documented? Is this in the Archives somewhere?
(If some kind soul with a fax machine has this, they may send it to
212-308-4054 ... thanks!)

Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:
The Portal (R) System:  schuster@cup.portal.com    |           MSCHUSTER

jeffery l wisniewski <wisniews@cis.ohio-state.edu> (05/03/91)

Mike Schuster in Article 17635 wrote:

> Anyone have an instruction sheet/tech sheet on the Motorola BRAVO
> beeper?  I've been given one with no instructions. The simple
> things are easy enough to figure out, but I've discovered that
> holding various buttons while turning on the power will display
> interesting things. Is any of thos documented? Is this in the
> Archives somewhere? (If some kind soul with a fax machine has
> this, they may send it to 212-308-4054 ... thanks!)

I have a Bravo Beeper through a company called USAMobile in Cleveland,
Ohio.  My office gave me it and did not give me any instructions
either.  Here is what I have found:

I am sure you know how to call up your pager and enter a phone number
but what many people do not know is that you can insert blank spaces
or '-' in the display also.  To insert a '-' in the display you simply
press a "*".  To insert a blank space you press two "*" and to erase
what you have already put in and start over press 3 "*".

          You Press:               You Get:
          ----------               --------

          1234567                  123-4567
          123*4567                 123-4567
          123**456*7890            123 456-7890
          123*4567**111            123-4567 111
          12345698***              to try again!

This can useful for a few things.  Our office uses it to code our
pages.  For example, if it is an important message and requires
immediate attention they will page with the phone number followed by a
blank and then '111'.  If the call is not that important or if we have
a message waiting they may use "222".

I think I have a copy of the booklet in the office but I will not be
in until Saturday.  I could fax it to you then if you like.

I hope this helped!

jeffery l wisniewski  <wisniews@cis.ohio-state.edu>
The Ohio State University    DISCLAIMER:  My ideas are my own.

schuster@cmcl2.nyu.edu> (05/06/91)

In article <telecom11.328.8@eecs.nwu.edu> wisniews@cis.ohio-state.edu
(jeffery l wisniewski) writes:

> I have a Bravo Beeper through a company called USAMobile in Cleveland,
> Ohio.  My office gave me it and did not give me any instructions
> either.  Here is what I have found:

[findings deleted]

> I think I have a copy of the booklet in the office but I will not be
> in until Saturday.  I could fax it to you then if you like.

Thanks. Also thanks to the four people who faxed me the "idiot sheet"
for this beeper. It's a start.

You can buy the tech manuals for these from Motorola.

Call 708-576-7418 with the model number at hand, and they'll give you
the part number for the manual.

Then call 800-422-4210 to order. The manuals cost $5, unfortunately the
minimum order is $25. I was in the midst of setting up a "group" order
with some folks who had responded, but I lost contact with them.

Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:
The Portal (R) System:  schuster@cup.portal.com    |           MSCHUSTER

Jeff.Scheer@uunet.uu.net (Jeff Scheer) (05/11/91)

Running a Telephone Answering Service, I discovered completely by
accident that if you input after the number {xxx*xxxx*00 } the 00 gets
the paged person to answer their pages quicker.  This also works with
Alpha/numeric paging systems, provided you know the coding.

Just thought it might help.

JLS

 The .COMmand Center  (Opus 200:5010/23)

[Moderator's Note: How could this be? Did you mean it gets the person
to return the call quicker or it somehow gets the transmission out to
the pager a little faster?  Why would anyone necessarily rush to the
phone faster to call because they saw '00'?   Explain please.  PAT]