[comp.dcom.telecom] Steve Jackson Files Suit Against Secret Service, et al.

slocum@ssdc.honeywell.com (Brett Slocum) (05/11/91)

The following appeared on the Illuminati BBS (SJGames house BBS):

5-1-91

   This afternoon, Steve Jackson Games filed suit against the Secret
Service, the US government, various Secret Service agents, Assistant
U.S. Attorney William Cook, and one phone company employee who acted
under color of Federal authority as an instigator of the raid.  Named
as co-plaintiffs in the suit are Steve Jackson as an individual and
three Illuminati users whose E-mail was lost in the raid.

A rather extensive description of the case can be found in the
Electronic Frontiers Foundation newsletter (EFFector Online) #1.04
(May 1, 1991). The net address for EFF is: eff.eff.org Subscription
requests can be made to : eff-request@eff.org

Brett Slocum <slocum@ssdc.honeywell.com> or <uunet!ssdc.honeywell.com!slocum>
NOTICE: my address has changed!
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This one's mine, not my company's."

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (05/13/91)

In <telecom11.353.8@eecs.nwu.edu> slocum@ssdc.honeywell.com (Brett
Slocum) writes:

> A rather extensive description of the case can be found in the
> Electronic Frontiers Foundation newsletter (EFFector Online) #1.04
> (May 1, 1991). The net address for EFF is: eff.eff.org Subscription
> requests can be made to : eff-request@eff.org

For those with anonymous ftp access, you can find EFFector 1.04, along
with the complaint by Steve Jackson et al and the warrant application
by the Secret Service, at eff.org, cd SJG.

A more complete background paper by John Perry Barlow is also
available at eff.org, cd EFF, file EFF.CP.

riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska
ivgate!inns!postmaster@uunet.uu.net  |   College of Law
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org  |   Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (05/14/91)

Brett Slocum writes:

>   This afternoon, Steve Jackson Games filed suit against the Secret
> Service, the US government, various Secret Service agents, Assistant
> U.S. Attorney William Cook, and one phone company employee who acted
> under color of Federal authority as an instigator of the raid.  Named
> as co-plaintiffs in the suit are Steve Jackson as an individual and
> three Illuminati users whose E-mail was lost in the raid.

> A rather extensive description of the case can be found in the
> Electronic Frontiers Foundation newsletter (EFFector Online) #1.04
> (May 1, 1991). The net address for EFF is: eff.eff.org Subscription
> requests can be made to : eff-request@eff.org

Those who can do anonymous ftp should know that this issue of the
EFFector, the complaint itself, the search warrant, and related
documents are available in the SJG directory via anonymous ftp at eff.org.

Mike