[comp.dcom.telecom] How is the Cost of Features Calculated?

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (05/06/91)

  Is it just my paranoid, conspiracy-seeking mind or do the RBOC's
always seem to introduce all these new, fancy services with a monthly
price tag of between $3 and $8. I was under the impression that these
are all tariffed and that revenue must reflect cost with a standard
profit allowance. It seems an incredible coincidence that they *all*
would turn out to lie (sic) in such a commonly narrow cost range
unless phone company overhead was a major factor in the cost of every
service. My suspicious mind would suspect they have found there is a
magic range of acceptibility of price beyond which customers more
critically examine the cost/benefits of services and the companies
seek to keep offerings within this safe range.

klopfens@cis.ohio-state.edu> (05/06/91)

 From article <telecom11.334.5@eecs.nwu.edu>, by sichermn@beach.csulb.
edu (Jeff Sicherman):

>   Is it just my paranoid, conspiracy-seeking mind or do the RBOC's
> always seem to introduce all these new, fancy services with a monthly
> price tag of between $3 and $8. I was under the impression that these
> are all tariffed and that revenue must reflect cost with a standard
> profit allowance.

I attended a recent presentation by a Bell Atlantic representative who
explained how the charge for Caller ID was reached.  According to him,
it was purely market research.  That is, through focus groups,
telephone surveys, and possibly other techniques, Bell Atlantic found
out what people said they would be willing to pay for Caller ID.
Based upon their reading of that research, they charge what they feel
the market would bear.  The perceived value of the service dictates
the pricing scheme.

I am very interested in other responses to Jeff's question regarding
the regulated aspect of pricing.

Bruce C. Klopfenstein          |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet
318 West Hall                  |  klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP
Bowling Green State University |  (419) 372-2138; 372-8690
Bowling Green, OH  43403       |  fax (419) 372-2300

Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu> (05/08/91)

> The price is determined by what people are willing to pay.  In long
> distance service, AT&T provides a benchmark.  Someone else who wants
> to persuade you to buy their service and not AT&T's has to do one of
> the following:

>      1.  Convince you their service is better than AT&T's and worth
>          a higher price than AT&T charges.

>      2.  Convince you that they will give you comparable phone service
>          to what you have been getting from AT&T for a comparable price
>          and they will be nicer to you than AT&T is.

>      3.  Convince you that you will be happy with their lower quality
>          phone service because it costs so much less.

I think that one pricing technique has been left out:

       4.  Set your price at two to three times AT&T's rate, and
           illegally program your COCOT or Hotel PBX so that the
           caller cannot reach AT&T.

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu

[Moderator's Note: But hopefully soon, the programming of public
systems so that AT&T cannot be reached will be treated as a vey
serious offense and dealt with accordingly.  I suspect AT&T is staying
away from 800 access and insisting on equal availability via 10288 for
very good reason. I think it is part of a game plan to force the hand
of the sleaze purveyors, to make them comply.  PAT]

carroll@cs.washington.edu> (05/14/91)

In article <telecom11.334.5@eecs.nwu.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu
(Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>  Is it just my paranoid, conspiracy-seeking mind or do the RBOC's
> always seem to introduce all these new, fancy services with a monthly
> price tag of between $3 and $8.

Yup.

But wait 'til they introduce ISDN...   :^)

Jeff Carroll    carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com