[comp.dcom.telecom] ATC's New Bill and Customer Service Number

wah@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (05/11/91)

I received my May ATC/MircoTel invoice a few days ago. I only keep
the account for emergency usage but decided to do some testing.  I
called a local number as 10789-NXX-NNNN and it went through and billed
 .09 for it.  Anyway, there were three calls at nine cents plus four
cent tax came to 31 cents.. I received a seven page bill (Printed on
five sheets of paper) costing 47 cents to mail. (8 1/2 x 11)

Page 1 - Customer Service Numbers /Message/Payment Coupon
Page 2 - Charge Sumary - past payment etc...
Page 3 - Detail of page 2
Page 4 - Summary of Usage by Type and Rate Period
Page 5 - Call Details
Page 6 - Summary by line/calling card ... number of calls, minutes, amount
Page 7 - Summary by area code ... number of calls, time, cost,
         percent of total, day percent, evening and night percents.

I think they got carried away with the new billing system. It is worse
then the old ATC/TELUS/TELTEC bills are ... they are seven pages but
they are only 8 1/2 by 3 1/2 or so.

They also changed their phone number for Customer Service to the 749
exchange in the 800 area code ... which is listed as belonging to
Teleconnect.  ATC has several prefixes assigned to them. Why would
they use MCI (Teleconnect-> TELECOM*USA-> MCI) for their 800 number) ?

I know that they provide MCI's fiber in FL (from the MicroTel Days)
and that they sold TELECOM*USA 780 numbers for HomeLine 800 (or
whatever it was called at TELUS).  I am begining to think that since
ATC is a regional carrier, they use MCI/TELECOM*USA to carry all of
the 800 calls outside of their ten state area and MCI uses them to
carry 800 calls in FL (ATC/MicroTEL). When SouthernBell had a cable
cut the only calls that went through were MCI 800 and MicroTel 10789
access calls.

Bill

Alan Toscano <atoscano@taronga.hackercorp.com> (05/14/91)

wah@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) writes:

> They also changed their phone number for Customer Service to the 749
> exchange in the 800 area code ... which is listed as belonging to
> Teleconnect.  ATC has several prefixes assigned to them. Why would
> they use MCI (Teleconnect-> TELECOM*USA-> MCI) for their 800 number) ?

ATC "purchased" the 800-749 exchange from Telecom*USA about a year
ago.  Newer 800 prefix listings reflect this change.  From my home,
calls to vacant numbers within the 800-749 exchange clearly yield ATC
recordings rather than Telecom*USA recordings.

A Alan Toscano     Internet:        <atoscano@taronga.hackercorp.com>
P O Box 741982     ATT/MCI Mail: atoscano      Telex (UT):  156232556
Houston, TX        CIS:         73300,217      Prodigy:       BHWR97A
77274-1982         Work:  +1 713 236 6616      Home:  +1 713 993 9560