[comp.dcom.telecom] You're All A Bunch of Terrorists

grayt@uunet.uu.net> (05/09/91)

In article <telecom11.340.11@eecs.nwu.edu> phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J.
Philip Miller) writes:

>        It is the sense of Congress that providers of electronic
> communications services and manufacturers of electronic communications
> service equipment shall ensure that communications systems permit the
> government to obtain the plain text contents of voice, data, and other
> communications when appropriately authorized by law.

All this really states is that the government should have the right to
wire tap if it gets a search warrant. I don't see anything draconian
about this.

You may also note that this text does NOT specicifically refer to
encryption. How can the government wire tap a subscriber multiplexer
system and not violate the privacy of many innocent people. This text
could be read to include this case. The equipment provider must
provide means that enable the government to intecept a single party
whithout infringing on the rights of others. Privacy boxes such as
these are now provided to prevent users of public WAN's from having
access to all of the data on the net. Only information destined to a
node is allowed to pass the privacy box.

All that this text really does is to bring wire tapping into the
current era of multiplexers and shared bandwidth. If this technology
is available, the government would be compelled to use it. it could
not cite compelling national interest to intercept all communications
on a link. It would have to limit itself to a specifically restricted
set of communications.

Andy Oakland <sao@athena.mit.edu> (05/09/91)

In article <telecom11.344.4@eecs.nwu.edu> mitel!Software!grayt@uunet.
uu.net (Tom Gray) writes:

> In article <telecom11.340.11@eecs.nwu.edu> phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J.
> Philip Miller) writes:

>>        It is the sense of Congress that providers of electronic
>> communications services and manufacturers of electronic communications
>> service equipment shall ensure that communications systems permit the
>> government to obtain the plain text contents of voice, data, and other
>> communications when appropriately authorized by law.

> All this really states is that the government should have the right to
> wire tap if it gets a search warrant. I don't see anything draconian
> about this.

> You may also note that this text does NOT specicifically refer to
>encryption.

Actually, this "sense of Congress" resolution has been causing us here
at MIT Project Athena great distress, because it effectively bans
certain types of encryption.  We're working on "privacy enhanced
email," which is email guaranteed to be unreadable by anyone except
the person to whom it was directed.

Thanks to public and private key encryption, even the system operator
can't read these messages.  But since the resolution demands that the
"plain text" of all messages must be available to the government, this
privacy enhanced mail effectively becomes illegal!

Andy Oakland    Project Athena Advanced Development Group  sao@athena.mit.edu

"Michael H. Riddle" <riddle@hoss.unl.edu> (05/09/91)

In <telecom11.344.4@eecs.nwu.edu> Tom Gray <mitel!Software!grayt@
uunet.uu.net> writes:

>>        It is the sense of Congress that providers of electronic
>> communications services and manufacturers of electronic communications
>> service equipment shall ensure that communications systems permit the
>> government to obtain the plain text contents of voice, data, and other
>> communications when appropriately authorized by law.

This is probably one of those bills where a lot of concerned people
will disagree on the effect, but I for one disagree with you.
Perhapas my disagreement is founded on over twenty years' experience
in military communications, which is admittedly a specialized subset
of the profession.

Anyway, the phrase "plain text" has a rather particular meaning.  I've
 /never/ heard it used except to differentiate from cipher text.  ( I
use "cipher" in a general sense, to include codes, although
technically they are different.)

Part of the reason for concern is that this section appears in the
middle of a bill (238Kbytes on my disk) that addresses:

(quote)
                                     S. 266
                                 1991  S. 266
 SYNOPSIS:
    A BILL
To prevent and punish domestic and international terrorist acts, and for
                  other purposes.
(unquote)

Additionally, substantially the same language:

(quote)
                1991 S. 618 MARCH 15, 1991 -- VERSION: 1
                    PART II-ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS
SEC. 545. COOPERATION OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS PROVIDERS WITH LAW
          ENFORCEMENT.

  It is the sense of Congress that providers of electronic
communications services and manufacturers of electronic communications
service equipment shall ensure that communications systems permit the
government to obtain the plain text contents of voice, data, and other
communications when appropriately authorized by law.

(unquote)

appears in an even longer bill, S. 618 (238Kbytes) dealing with:

(quote)
                                    S.  618
                                  1991 S. 618
 SYNOPSIS:
    A BILL
                  To control and reduce violent crime.
(unquote)

Perhaps its the conspiracy theorists at work, but many of us see this
"sense of the Congress" as granting a "hunting license" to NSA.
Perhaps you remember the discussion (continuing even today in
sci.crypt and elsewhere) whether the NSA designed the DES so it could
be broken.  Given their ability to place Secrecy Orders on
cryptographic devices, those that would not trust some government
agencies find it easy to believe the allegation that Biden and
Deconcini mean exactly what they say -- they want government agencies
to break any cipher text.

For example, while I haven't heard of it, I wouldn't be surprised to
hear that some drug operations used digital voice encrypted radios in
their operations.  They are well-enough organized in other aspects of
their business.

The problem is that secrets can't be held forever, and if there is a
way to break it, then the "enemies" of legitimate users of
cryptography are less secure.  Trade secrets and industrial espionage
aren't exactly rare terms these days.  Some people just feel that no
one has a reason to listen in on their calls for any reason.  When
ISDN comes a little more into service, digitial encryption will become
(I think) affordable for the masses.  The RSA patent expires in a few
years, and for text it's fairly workable.

Finally, as a legal thought, if a court ordered a wire tap, the
agencies could recover the ciphertext, and if evidence were
sufficient, I'm sure they could then order production of the keys.  (I
know this is less workable in practice, since destruction of
superseded keys should be a priority.)

Anyway, whether or not the bills get enacted, there /is/ sufficient
reason to become concerned.

            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>

riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska
ivgate!inns!postmaster@uunet.uu.net  |   College of Law
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org  |   Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

bud@uunet.uu.net> (05/09/91)

In article <telecom11.340.11@eecs.nwu.edu> phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J.
Philip Miller) writes:

[Moderator's Note: Text omitted. See earlier messages this issue.  PAT]

                       --------------

> You might consider writing your Senator and/or Representative and
> expressing your opinion on this piece of, uh, legislation.

The U.S. Congress is just now catching up to the third world on this
one. Although most people see this as a requirement that any
encrypting method used be "breakable" by NSC, it also seems to say
that telecom switching equipment should allow easy access (read:
wiretapping) by government officials. I have seen a number of RFP's
for switching equipment issued by Taiwan, Malaysia, and Indonesia (and
I have heard that other countries RFP's are similar) which require the
ability to remotely monitor *any* call at any time. Software was also
*required* that allowed this remote site to scan the call record
database.

You don't have a problem with this, do you? After all, an honest
person has noting to hide.

Bud Couch - ADC/Kentrox  If my employer only knew...   standard BS applies

"Marc T. Kaufman" <kaufman@neon.stanford.edu> (05/10/91)

In article <telecom11.340.11@eecs.nwu.edu> phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J.
Philip Miller) writes:

-> (A proposed Senate resolution:)

[Moderator's Note: Text omitted here. See prior messages.  PAT]

In article <telecom11.344.4@eecs.nwu.edu> Tom Gray <mitel!Software!
grayt@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> All this really states is that the government should have the right to
> wire tap if it gets a search warrant. I don't see anything draconian
> about this.

> You may also note that this text does NOT specicifically refer to
> encryption.

On the contrary, the phrase "plain text contents" specifically refer
to the proposal that encryption providers should (must?) provide a
back door through which the encryption can be compromised.

The interesting (to me) speculation is how the timing and content of
this proposal relate to Motorola's proposal to sell STU-3 equipped
telephones to the general public so that they can carry on
conversations privately over cellular phones. [the STU-3 is a DES
encryption digatal voice unit].  It is known that certain Federal law
enforcement agencies are very unhappy over that proposal.

(Which leads into the Computers, Freedom and Privacy thread ...) Why
should there be a PRESUMPTION that electronic communication is NOT
subject to privacy when such things as the US Mail are specifically
private by law.

[There's a mailgroup for privacy issues, right? how much traffic does
it get?  I might subscribe if it doesn't take all day to read ...]

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

[Moderator's Note: Yes, there is such a list. See the first message in
this issue.  Write to 'telecom-priv-request@pica.army.mil'.   PAT]

grayt@uunet.uu.net> (05/15/91)

In article <telecom11.349.3@eecs.nwu.edu> sao@athena.mit.edu (Andy
Oakland) writes:

> In article <telecom11.344.4@eecs.nwu.edu> mitel!Software!grayt@uunet.
> uu.net (Tom Gray) writes:

>>> service equipment shall ensure that communications systems permit the
>>> government to obtain the plain text contents of voice, data, and other
>>> communications when appropriately authorized by law.

>> All this really states is that the government should have the right to
>> wire tap if it gets a search warrant. I don't see anything draconian
>> about this.

>> You may also note that this text does NOT specicifically refer to
>> encryption.

> Actually, this "sense of Congress" resolution has been causing us here
> at MIT Project Athena great distress, because it effectively bans
> certain types of encryption.  We're working on "privacy enhanced

Encryption may be important in certain areas. However shared bandwidth
systems are the future of the telecom network. In these systems,
communications from many users will share the same physical medium. It
is important that any survelliance be restricted to only those under
suspicion and not to the innocent users (and probably unknowing users)
of a multiplexer system.  The telephone line to your house is likely
terminated on a subscriber multiplexer system. A simple piece of
equipment on this multiplexer could allow the systematic monitoring of
all telephone loops in your neighbourhood.  I have seen accounts where
such systems have been used to intercept long distance trunk traffic
on microwave links. ANI and routing information is decoded. It is
reasonable that systems such as this be restricted and that the
reasonable use of wire tapping be allowed.

Only traffic specifically authorized by the search warrant should be
intercepted.

Additionally users can present the network with encrypted data.
Encryption will take place end to end with no involvement of the
network. This will be the nature of the new ISDN networks. The network
will provide a shared transport function with services being performed
on the periphery.