[comp.dcom.telecom] Any Calling Cards Without the 75c Per Call Charge?

Joel Spolsky <spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu> (05/05/91)

I just got my AT&T Universal bill, and noticed that over 50% of the
cost of my long distance calls is due to the 75 cent per-call
surcharge which they tag onto all calling card calls. (I guess their
ads claiming you pay "only low AT&T rates" are a little bit
dishonest).

Are there calling cards without this extra fee?

PS: Thanks to all those who answered my question about answering machines
in Israel!

Joel Spolsky       spolsky@cs.yale.edu

Ronald Greenberg <rig@eng.umd.edu> (05/07/91)

In article <telecom11.334.2@eecs.nwu.edu> you write:

> I just got my AT&T Universal bill, and noticed that over 50% of the
> cost of my long distance calls is due to the 75 cent per-call
> surcharge which they tag onto all calling card calls. (I guess their

> Are there calling cards without this extra fee?

I use ITT as my long distance company.  Calls cost the same as from
home as long as I call 950-0ITT (then the phone number and
authorization code).  In theory, 950-0ITT does not work everywhere; in
such places you have to call an 800 number and pay a surcharge.  But
every place I have wanted to call from, the 950 number has worked;
basically any reasonable metropolitan area should be no problem.

Ron Greenberg		rig@eng.umd.edu

Greg Oliveau <oliveau%tdycapd@uunet.uu.net> (05/07/91)

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:

> I just got my AT&T Universal bill, and noticed that over 50% of the
> cost of my long distance calls is due to the 75 cent per-call
> surcharge which they tag onto all calling card calls. (I guess their
> ads claiming you pay "only low AT&T rates" are a little bit
> dishonest).

> Are there calling cards without this extra fee?

Hmm.  I don't think my USSprint card has a fee - at least it's not
itemized as such.  Probably the 'setup' charge is hidden in the first
three minutes of use.

Greg Oliveau			 Voice	213.820.4616.x2598
Teledyne Controls,		 Fax	213.820.0183
Commercial Aircraft Products Division

"David E. Sheafer, Class of 1989" <nin15b0b@stan.merrimack.edu> (05/07/91)

In article <telecom11.339.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, oliveau%tdycapd@uunet.uu.
net (Greg Oliveau) writes:

> spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:

>> Are there calling cards without this extra fee?

> Hmm.  I don't think my USSprint card has a fee - at least it's not
> itemized as such.  Probably the 'setup' charge is hidden in the first
> three minutes of use.

  The US Spring FONcard charges .50, .75 or 1.25 for the call
depending on if it is interLATA call or an IntraLATA call and if you
are using a rotary phone.

  If memory serves me right most calls are charged an additional .75,
same as AT&T.

David E. Sheafer
internet:  nin15b0b@merrimack.edu   or  uucp:      samsung!hubdub!nin15b0b
GEnie:     D.SHEAFER             Cleveland Freenet:    ap345

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (05/07/91)

In article <telecom11.339.4@eecs.nwu.edu> you write:

> Hmm.  I don't think my USSprint card has a fee - at least it's not
> itemized as such.

FON card calls are surcharged about 75 cents, similar to AT&T and MCI
calls.  If you have Sprint Plus, the volume discount plan, FON card
calls are counted toward the total call volume that determines the
discount for direct dialed calls, but the FON card calls themselves
don't get the discount.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

carols@world.std.com (Carol Springs) (05/10/91)

In article <telecom11.343.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, John Levine writes:

> If you have Sprint Plus, the volume discount plan, FON card
> calls are counted toward the total call volume that determines the
> discount for direct dialed calls, but the FON card calls themselves
> don't get the discount.

If you make, say, $25 worth of calls and get a ten per cent volume
discount, the FONcard charges are indeed discounted at ten per cent as
well.  For example, on a recent bill, my pre-tax charges for 1+ calls
were $21 and my FONcard calls were $6.20, for a total of $27.20.  The
discount was $2.72.

Aside from the 75-cent surcharge, the bad thing about FONcard calls
under Sprint Plus is that night rates do not start at 5:00 p.m. the
way they do with 1+ calls.

Carol Springs                      carols@world.std.com

K_MULLHOLAND@unhh.unh.edu (KATH MULLHOLAND) (05/10/91)

Our Sprint rep just visited us today, and said the FonCard charge was
25c per call.  This may be just for us because we are on VPN, however.

Kath Mullholand         UNH  Durham, NH

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (05/11/91)

In article <telecom11.334.2@eecs.nwu.edu>, spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu
(Joel Spolsky) writes:

> I just got my AT&T Universal bill, and noticed that over 50% of the
> cost of my long distance calls is due to the 75 cent per-call
> surcharge which they tag onto all calling card calls. (I guess their
> ads claiming you pay "only low AT&T rates" are a little bit
> dishonest).

Misleading, but technically not dishonest!  "Low AT&T rates" have
included a surcharge for calling card calls for some time.

> Are there calling cards without this extra fee?

I recently spent some time researching this question.  It appears that
a little-advertised but viable long distance carrier called "Cable and
Wireless" offers calling cards with no per-call surcharge.  Having
just lost MCI's "around town" feature, I have asked C & W to take over
as our default carrier, and to send me enough of their calling cards
for our employees.  As soon as we've used their service for a little
while, I'll post a review of the service.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

carroll@cs.washington.edu> (05/14/91)

(Joel Spolsky) writes:

> I just got my AT&T Universal bill, and noticed that over 50% of the
> cost of my long distance calls is due to the 75 cent per-call
> surcharge which they tag onto all calling card calls. (I guess their
> ads claiming you pay "only low AT&T rates" are a little bit
> dishonest).

> Are there calling cards without this extra fee?

I don't honestly know whether this is the case any more since I turned
over bill-paying to my wife several months ago, but it used to be that
Sprint charged no more for "calling card" calls than for calls from
home.

In fact, it *used* to be that you dialed both kinds of call the same
way.

And it *used* to be that Sprint was a whole hell of a lot cheaper than
AT&T ...

Jeff Carroll    carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

Peter Thurston <thurston@mrc-applied-psychology.cambridge.ac.uk> (05/15/91)

Well here in the UK British Telecom (now BT), has just dropped the
20p surcharge - if that's any help!

Peter Thurston

Christopher Lott <cml@cs.umd.edu> (05/15/91)

In article <telecom11.356.10@eecs.nwu.edu> is written:

> a little-advertised but viable long distance carrier called "Cable and
> Wireless" offers calling cards with no per-call surcharge.

I called their customer service number (800-486-8686).  Reps are not
exactly on the ball, but after some messing around, I got some
information.  A traditional calling card, something like a Sprint FON
Card, is apparently available only once you have 1+ service or
designate them as a secondary carrier. They won't set one up the way
Spring and MCI will.

Anyhow, I got some quotes.

"Regular" long distance service (using their network from home phone):
Maryland (301-69) to Ohio (614-48) night rates $.12/min  (par)

"Focus 3" service is geared towards businesses; rates are better in the day
Above call using this service at night was about $.15/min 	(poor)

"Travel Service" is the calling card
	$.80 per call fee
	$.49 per minute, no matter where you call (time insensitive also?)

So I dunno who told you about the "no fee calling card" or whether you
made a Deal, but a no-fee calling card doesn't seem to be available to
me.  Or maybe I was misinformed.

Christopher Lott \/ Dept of Comp Sci, Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
  cml@cs.umd.edu /\ 4122 AV Williams Bldg  301 405-2721 <standard disclaimers>